ADIDAS x YEEZY COLLAB OFFICIAL THREAD *2016 thread link 1st page*

Status
Not open for further replies.
so what did he design that wasn't adidas tooling?

The tech already existed, he just pulled everything together. With Nike, they limited him to tooling they had already had available (ATC 2 and Air Flight Squad, respectively). Adidas gave him a bit more freedom, in that regard, but none of the tech on the Yeezys was nonexistent previously.

He had been using soles from the 3s and ATC2s. With adidas he design the whole shoe just used tech that adidas provided. It's the same as if he designed his own complete shoe, soles included but just used Nike Air. Which is tech provided from Nike.

Huh? The tooling from the AY1s was from the Air Flight Squad-Ye was specifically told he couldn't use Jordan Brand tooling.

Well imagine the 350's being Nike's...they'd likely be flyknit, roshe type outsole (idk the official name for it), etc...I know he didn't invent the tech. Primeknit vs Flyknit...comparable, I just wonder if the actual silhouette would be similar

Huh? The tooling from the AY1s was from the Air Flight Squad-Ye was specifically told he couldn't use Jordan Brand tooling.

Yes he wanted to use the AJ3 sole, was told he couldn't use Jordan Brand tooling but he found a loophole, he found a Nike shoe with the same sole as the AJ3 and took that to Nike.

That was greenlighted.

In the end he got what he wanted, an AJ3 sole.

This was told from an interview with someone at Nike who collaborated with him on the shoe.

Last edited:
so what did he design that wasn't adidas tooling?
He had been using soles from the 3s and ATC2s. With adidas he design the whole shoe just used tech that adidas provided. It's the same as if he designed his own complete shoe, soles included but just used Nike Air. Which is tech provided from Nike.
It seems like the same situation with Adidas imo. The tech that adidas had was used in his designs. I thought you were saying he designed boost and primeknit. I have no idea who designs this stuff like some of these super smart members, ( staffsgtdignam staffsgtdignam ) LOL.

Last edited:
Same difference :lol:
But yeah he just pulled pieces from other Nike shoes for his Nike shoes. With some inspiration from ATO Matsumoto shoes and what not.

But yeah he just pulled pieces from other Nike shoes for his Nike shoes. With some inspiration from ATO Matsumoto shoes and what not.

AJ3 tooling was different from AY1 tooling in 2009 though (no Jumpman, different stars, etc.). The only AJ3s that used the retro Air Flight Squad were the 88's released in 2013 and, even then, I'm not 100% sure of.

It seems like the same situation with Adidas imo. The tech that adidas had was used in his designs. I thought you were saying he designed boost and primeknit. I have no idea who designs this stuff like some of these super smart members, ( staffsgtdignam staffsgtdignam ) LOL.
He pieced other Nike shoes together to create his line with Nike. With adidas he had full control of design. He didn't take anything from any other shoes they had previously designed. The only thing used was the materials which was primeknit for the 350s and the tech which was Boost. The 350s and 750s have they're own sole design he didn't take that from Superstars or ZXs.

Well imagine the 350's being Nike's...they'd likely be flyknit, roshe type outsole (idk the official name for it), etc...I know he didn't invent the tech. Primeknit vs Flyknit...comparable, I just wonder if the actual silhouette would be similar

Given that Ye seemed to love wearing Flyknit racers during his last few months with Nike, I'd be willing to be the Air Yeezy 3s would've incorporated that tech. I bet they would be more like the 350s than the AY2s.

Sidenote: I hope/wish Kanye's initial designs for the Air Yeezy 3 are released.. It would be cool to imagine what could have been (unless Nike is planning on releasing them under another model name).

AJ3 tooling was different from AY1 tooling in 2009 though (no Jumpman, different stars, etc.). The only AJ3s that used the retro Air Flight Squad were the 88's released in 2013 and, even then, I'm not 100% sure of.
air revolution.

air revolution.

Mark Smith: “We did new tooling at first, and it was sort of spacey, and then we decided to go away from new tooling and use something that was existing, and he wanted to use Jordan tooling. We said “No” to that, but then he saw the Assault Retro, and it was basically the III tooling and it had the word Jordan replaced with Nike. So he kind of beat us on a technicality, which was pretty cool. [Laughs] It turned out great, because it took it back to that era.”

air revolution.

Mark Smith: “We did new tooling at first, and it was sort of spacey, and then we decided to go away from new tooling and use something that was existing, and he wanted to use Jordan tooling. We said “No” to that, but then he saw the Assault Retro, and it was basically the III tooling and it had the word Jordan replaced with Nike. So he kind of beat us on a technicality, which was pretty cool. [Laughs] It turned out great, because it took it back to that era.”
even better. thanks for the correct info.

He pieced other Nike shoes together to create his line with Nike. With adidas he had full control of design. He didn't take anything from any other shoes they had previously designed. The only thing used was the materials which was primeknit for the 350s and the tech which was Boost. The 350s and 750s have they're own sole design he didn't take that from Superstars or ZXs.
Gotch. I didn't know which came first the 750 or the tubular who's sole is different but similar.

Sidenote: I hope/wish Kanye's initial designs for the Air Yeezy 3 are released.. It would be cool to imagine what could have been (unless Nike is planning on releasing them under another model name).
Air Cruz.
roll.gif

Chilling in Weeknd's dressing room last night and I forget to check out his kicks. Get home and realize he's wearing the black 750s.

The Confirmed app will be a mess next week. Tried to see how it behaves today and it took me to a white screen for 10 min, then let me in to see Sold Out sizes. So if there was hype for NMD, I can only imagine for the 750s next week. Not much hope!

I guess one thing I learned was to let the app go through its white screen frozen refresh, rather than keep refreshing or closing the app.

The Confirmed app will be a mess next week. Tried to see how it behaves today and it took me to a white screen for 10 min, then let me in to see Sold Out sizes. So if there was hype for NMD, I can only imagine for the 750s next week. Not much hope!

I guess one thing I learned was to let the app go through its white screen frozen refresh, rather than keep refreshing or closing the app.

Same happened to me.

the question is how much Kanye really did. He "designed" them could mean anything between "he told Nike what he liked and they designed a shoe that he approved" to "he spend hours at the office sketching out every detail". 

So you dont think they'll be doing updates before next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom