Advice from fellow ex-sneakerheads

Hate the term sneakerhead. Since 2007 have only brought the Fire Red and True Blue III's. Safe to say I've been past the caring stage for a while and would have left NT if it weren't for the awesome community in Sports Forum.

I just stopped when I realized that I spent $190 on a shoe that I have worn no more than 10 times to this day -ever.
30t6p3b.gif

^ I'm sort of in that boat. It got to a point where I was never wearing them anymore and the appeal died to me. At my best (worst?) I had over 80 pairs of Nikes/Jordan's. I sold them all over the course of a year or two and haven't looked back. There seem to be a ton more "hyped" releases these days compared to when I stopped (last shoe was the Dino Jr. Dunks) and it just makes the whole industry look bloated.

The same thing happened with street wear IMO. When the brands oversaturate the market--which is almost certainly more profitable for them--it kills the whole foundation of their appeal to their core fan base. That is, people wanted something others didn't have. I remember when you could see somebody in a 10 Deep or C&C piece and know that they were part of this (at the time) sub-genre of fashion. Now, I see sneakers + street wear and 90% of it is just generic, run-of-the-mill folks who perused the mall for half and hour and grabbed the first thing they saw.

Call me an elitist, but a big element of the appeal of this style of dress was the "exclusive" feel to it. Of course, basic supply and demand would suggest that that element couldn't last once it got popular, but I think that time coincided well with a period where I had to move on and go a more "dressing better" route professionally anyway. Ultimately, I couldn't find any more reasons to keep that in my life and let it all go.

I keep it simple these days with a few pairs of kicks.  If I see something and the money is there I may grab, but the days off living in the Nike Retro & JB forums are over for me.  I'll check the Nike Retro for the outlet thread to see if anything is worth pursuing.  The fact that I have a wife and children that need moreso than me is the part of the reason why I no longer buy shoes impulsively.

Originally Posted by Treb2k5

I'm only 22, but it's changed for me. I realized I spent $6,000 from 2005-2007 ,on shoes, all through high school.

I could have put a down payment on a decent car, paid off school, & still have money left over to blow/save.

Grown men out here 25+ years old camping with 16 year old's for shoes & dropping "knowledge" about the shoes. Nobody cares if you know who Tinker Hatfield is or what year the original shoes came out. They just want them to wear...'cause that's what shoes are made for.

Nostalgia? hahaha.
lol u mad brah?

this is a really good topic.

and not to derail and turn it into a sneaker showcase topic,

but can we post pics of the final collection.

i'll try to do so when i get home. all i need is tan yeezys, and white cement IVs.  I also want a few more CPs, MMMs, Alden longwing bluchers, and Wingtip boots and i'm out.

Reading some of the responses here, I can tell who truly loves sneakers and who just got into it because it was the cool thing to do. Me, I think I posted earlier in this thread about it. I'm nearing my end. Although in the future, if I have the spare cash I might pick up one pair a year, who knows. It's interesting to see dudes in here 20-22 years old talking about how they are done with the "shoe game". My initial thought was you were never really into shoes like that. To me, this is what buying sneakers has become. So sad.

wearing more casual shoes now, some boat shoes too
more sweaters, cardigans, button ups, etc.
wearing way less "streetwear" nowadays..gotta grow up eventually

I managed to contain myself and not cop the retro 10's which just dropped but I have to be honest it is hard as hell to just pass on that release. The cement 4's are going to be the true test.

What made me give up was the price increase of nikes and jays and the rent increase of my place plus
Most of the jays that came out I already got 5 to 10 years ago and the re-retro jays material sucks so that was
Real easy

I been over it. I been selling my collection little by little. It's going to take years to sell it all.

Enjoy life. Treat yourself once in a while but don't let Nike own you. I'm glad I stopped young.

Originally Posted by IronHorse

I managed to contain myself and not cop the retro 10's which just dropped but I have to be honest it is hard as hell to just pass on that release. The cement 4's are going to be the true test.
smokin.gif

I still hoop so I do buy kicks to hoop in. Although not a big collection. Currently just the Hyperdunk 2011 supreme and Kobe V. I do plan on getting the Shark Kobe VIIs though. All my Dunks, AF are gone. I have like 2-3 pairs of Nike running shoes that I wear when I walk to work but have to change into dress shoes as soon as I get in. I do have a handful of Js that I can not part with and wear them from time to time on the weekends or Friday nights if I change before taking the family out. I hear the 12s are coming out this year. I may get a pair here and there but not to sure.

Originally Posted by illuminated

wearing more casual shoes now, some boat shoes too
more sweaters, cardigans, button ups, etc.
wearing way less "streetwear" nowadays..gotta grow up eventually

this. for me i'm usually wearing desert boots and sperrys to work. thankfully, my department allows us to wear sneakers on a regular basis. i stopped buying jordans awhile ago, but last year the 3s came out and i ended up buying every pair except the BHMs and the DBs. the 4s are my second favorite jordan ever, so this year is gonna be another year of collecting for me. since i didn't get to own jordans as a kid, specifically the 3s and 4s, i can finally do so considering the timing of their releases and having a job. its a nostalgia thing i guess.

i just turned 27, but a long time ago i reached that point where i've just narrowed my focus on what jordans i really like. it's easier on the wallet. i don't believe in retiring because i know that come the next round of releases, i'll try to cop again. that and i still collect other types of shoes. thank goodness sperrys and clarks are cheaper 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 216301baller

its not the same..even though im a youngin, 21, the peak years for sneakers for me was 03- till the first dmp pack dropped..although i didnt get all the sb's and dmp packs..it just seem more fun beasting over kicks with people who actually respected the culture..

Originally Posted by 940sicc3

your problem is being a so called "sneakerhead" and calling it "shoe game"
30t6p3b.gif

whatever happened to just buying what you liked? a lot of you bought shoes beacuse it was the shoe to have. thats where y'all went wrong

I dont think ill ever be able to call myself an "ex sneakerhead"
its about what u know not what u got
if u only got one pair of kicks but u know the history of J's Nikes etc the models colorways years etc then your a sneakerhead imo
The only thing that made me want to ever sell or get rid of my kicks (aside from the Materialism) were nightmares" lol of just losing my kicks getting them stolen etc
and i would wake up thinking man theyre just shoes... They shouldnt have me feeling like this.
I couldn't care less of who joins the wagon whats trendy whats not etc...
Im not in this to meet new ppl or make enemys... just to get the kicks that i want n love......
duces!

Originally Posted by CreateDestroy

I'm gonna be into kicks forever...

May not cop as often as before...

May not cop the same style/brand as before.

I'm not a "sneakerhead"... I just love shoes.

my man
glasses.gif
, couldn't have said it better myself

another thing...professional attire DOES NOT equal "grown up".

If you have to wear certain clothes to feel like more of an adult, you still have some growing up to do. Not trying to go at anyone, but thats one thing that burns my biscuit in certain threads.

I'm 28, work in an office, and generally wear an oxford, slacks/khakis, and new balances (certain aspects of my job require physical activity). Some days i have to wear a suit. Some days i can get away with jeans and a polo. Either way, im no more or less 'professional' wearing either.

I know i'll never stop wearing/buying sneakers. Just like i'll never stop wearing authentic NBA jerseys (size 60), baggy sweats, my fila velour sweatsuit, or fitteds.

Quit because of age?

I'll probably quit when they bury me. Up until then, I'll still be requesting the finest in footwear while residing in a nursing home
laugh.gif

Nah, like many others have said, I think once it's in you it's hard to simply quit. I did change my buying patterns a lot though. Picking up random stuff. Skipping overhyped joints. Things like that. I think once you get off the "gotta have it, limited, hype hype" train and start exploring, it can become a lot of fun again. That plus not limiting yourself to sneakers. I tell people I like footwear, period.

At some point u gotta wake up like.... the hell I need 50 pairs of kicks. I don't even have the time or plans to wear all these shoes.
Materials does not equal happiness.......having the extra money to save is a better feeling when you sit down and think about it

I quit when I got every pair I ever wanted. Took a while, but at some point seeing JB release your favorite shoe at a more expensive price for the 4th time wears on you. That, and it has become a pain with all the space they are taking up. Plus I'm engaged and have way more important things to spend on.

Back
Top Bottom