Advice from fellow ex-sneakerheads

if you stop looking, you'll stop buying. and you'll stop caring.

don't get me wrong. i still have some shoes that i wear once a month or less. a frsh clean pair of shoes on my feet is just as important and a clean shirt.

but i'm not out busting my butt to grab new shoes.

37, started collecting in my early 20's then it snowballed.

What I've learned, & this applies to more than just "the shoe game" is that people change. You go hard at a hobby for awhile, while you're focused, life happens, then it fades into the background. Shoes = Material possessions = hard to kick habit for a lot of us, pun intended.

I've cut back from the pace I was at back in the day (in the heyday of eBay before all the resellers & their moms jumped in) when I would get multiple pairs in a month. I hate to think of all the money I've sunk into disintegrating rubber & foam/TPU housed in orange boxes over the years but that is the price of my fixation.

I've got more than enough kicks now, more than I know what to do with. To be honest, I keep telling myself I'll be selling them soon enough on eBay or Niketalk buy & sell or Kijiji... then I don't & they just sit there.

I'll keep some core kicks - AM95s, Air Trainer IIIs, Max 94s, some Jordans, etc. but about 80% or more are out the door once I find the right buyer/charity/same shoe size family relation/NT member to bequeath them to.

The other route I'm taking is to trade for kicks on NT or locally, it's always nice to fallback on the barter system.

EDIT: I just re-read my post & realized you said "ex-sneakerhead"
embarassed.gif
 Which I'm hoping to be... then I realized I'm slowly easing out of the shoe collecting but withdrawal is a slooooow process (though Nike build quality lately - painted soles that crack?
eyes.gif
 are speeding things up)

looks like im in the same boat as most of yall.

30 yrs old, M-Th business casual, so I just dont have opportunities to wear sneakers much anymore. To be honest, even on Fridays or the weekends, I'm just too lazy to go dig in my closet to pick out a different pair of sneakers to wear so I just default to my rainbow flip flops or whatever couple pairs of dunks I happen to have on my shoe rack by my front door which happen to be some Black Dunks with the stupid telephone ringing thing in the tongue (I dont even know what they are called, I just got em cause I needed some black dunks).

I have more than enough DS sneakers in my closet to last me a lifetime. TBH, the only pair that I can see myself making an effort to buy in the future would be the Series I Forbes Dunk SB's or the Takeshi Dunk SB's and thats mostly just for nostalgia.

edit:

correction, 31.  you know you getting old when you forget how old you are.  damn.

So from the replies I've seen it seems like a trend can be pinpointed. Other early thirty somethings, or children of the eighty's also hit a point where hoarding sneakers just doesn't make sense.

Copping sneakers for me always was meant looking fresh rather than collecting and I'm sure everyone has their own reasons why, but I agree with dude above about how peers look at you crazy
when a grown $$$ man is rocking basketball kicks.

Originally Posted by IronHorse

So from the replies I've seen it seems like a trend can be pinpointed. Other early thirty somethings, or children of the eighty's also hit a point where hoarding sneakers just doesn't make sense.

Copping sneakers for me always was meant looking fresh rather than collecting and I'm sure everyone has their own reasons why, but I agree with dude above about how peers look at you crazy
when a grown $$$ man is rocking basketball kicks.

I was the same way.  Keeping shoes DS was a foreign concept to me.  I didnt see the point of spending all that money if I couldnt put em on my feet and show off.  All the shoes I currently have in the box were purchases I made semi- recently.  As they started to stack up, it dawned on me that I never got around to wearing them, and the opportunities to wear them were diminishing.  The last few years, I've tried to make a point of breaking out a fresh pair of sneakers on my birthday so that atleast I can get 1 nights wear out of em, as opposed to keeping them tucked away in the closet.

Originally Posted by Janitor

I do my best to only buy what I like, and even then I need to be selective. I'm 31 and will be plunking down some big money on an engagement ring in a few weeks. 

I decided to sell my collection to pay for an engagement ring; turned out I only needed to sell 1/4 of my shoes to get the ring I wanted lol.  I still have around 60 pairs left to sell.  I couldn't believe how much money I've spent on shoes.

It's actually not that bad for 30 years old to rock basketball shoes casually. Just don't rock those crazy loud color with matching fitted , tshirt etc

Whenever i see a 30+ years old dude wearing a matching fitted hat and a pair of SB lebron i can't help but shake my head

What worse is that i've seen 30+ years old dude wear saggy skinny jean along with Yeezy and the tongue sticking out
laugh.gif

Like dude you're a grown ** man. Get some grown style

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Never really quit, just my taste changed....I still love Jordans and what not, but now I just don't care enough to cop all the time.
Basically, still love my sneakers and have 100+ (
frown.gif
).  Trimming slowly, but it takes time and you have to have patience.  Right now new = hype.

Personally the excitement was never the rush of dealing with a lot of people to get shoes like it's been the past few years.  It was about getting the shoe you liked, if a million other people have them, *%** it stash yours if you want "exclusivity".

I buy here and there, not as much as I used to, probably around 10-15 pairs max last year.  Probably less this year.  Reason why it was so high last year was because I scooped up a few Free's and lunar glides to run in (
smokin.gif
).

Hardly being able to wear my shoes is a factor as well (Work in an office 5 days a week) and I hardly wear sneakers when I go out now as well.

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

No offense, but you're 30 years old and just realizing you need more adult clothes?

the same connection can be made about you and the WWE bro

not even thirty but i have been feeling this way since i bought my first pair of j's ...

the only thing i can not understand by the collectors is the act of paying almost 200 USD and then leaving them in your closet for you to look at..

i'm at work creasing the heck out of my grey XII's...

and respect to the people who are not necessarily giving up but making WAAAAAAAY smarter decisions with that cash...

oh yea and to the poster who said moms never bought a pair of shoes that cost $50 or up, I feel your pain!!!

...always had to come up with the other half if i wanted something extravagant... haha

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Never really quit, just my taste changed....I still love Jordans and what not, but now I just don't care enough to cop all the time.
this

Originally Posted by kdawg

Next you'll realise that the whole 'adult clothes' game doesn't actually mean anything either.

Do what you want with your money but whatever 'thing' is your thing at the moment doesn't really matter.

Thats what I'm saying. I know shuns who "left the shoe game" to be an adult and now instead of 180 jordans, they buying 75 dollar shirts from j crew or 200 shirts from paul federicks and 400 dollar feragamo shoes.

Even if you leave the game, u still finna buy expensive luxury items you dont need(You think you reaally need a 50 in tv or i pod or that expnesive meal from ruby tuesday or that 60 dollar video gam you only play once in a while or that expensive car ?)

You buy what you like man. I will stay in the sneaker game forever. Its all about how you spend and what you truely spend your money on when you love something. MY love for sneakers never will die, it will just adjust with my growth as a person and how much i cant fininacially be able to spend. Simple like that shun

tangent here but...

^ my $400 Ferragamos have lasted me a solid 5 years, worn atleast 2-3x a week, and they are still going strong. My $400 pair of AFII Espos lasted about 9 months and are thoroughly trashed. I admit that I am paying somewhat for the name, but I am also paying for the quality of the product.

I was only a true sneakerhead for like 6 months and even then, I wasn't like people in /5. Only camped out once. I just quickly realized how ridiculous this all is. I just don't collect stuff like clothing anymore. It's too self-centered for me. At least with music, books, and movies, for example, I gain some sort of tangible benefit and pleasure and can share it with others.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

tangent here but...

^ my $400 Ferragamos have lasted me a solid 5 years, worn atleast 2-3x a week, and they are still going strong. My $400 pair of AFII Espos lasted about 9 months and are thoroughly trashed. I admit that I am paying somewhat for the name, but I am also paying for the quality of the product.

Stop with the quality agrgument. My 2000 VI infrared and olympics still holding up and look perfect I wear them monthly. That quality arguemnt makes no sense. Aint nobody saying that new retros got the best quality, but most og collectors have og shoes that they had from a while back and if they managed them and wore them properply, they should still be holding up. I got a whole section of vintage stuff that still wearable and holdtting up like brand new so dare bring that talk of quality in. Add to the fact that I PAID retail for most of my ogs diff makes it me feel better than buying 400 fergamamo shoes. I got 150 dress shoes that lookk just as good. The arguement I was making was that leaving 1 luxury item for one more expensive is not a justifiable excuse for why you leaving sneaker game. You leave cause you dont like sneakers no more or you trend hoping tryna "Grow up" but still spending money on luxury itmes you prob dont need

for me its harder to wear stuff with how my style has changed. to me low profile (vans, sperrys, reefs) just look better and everytime i throw on sneakers they dont go with what im wearing and i put em back in box. thats the reason ive sold some stuff recently and continue to do so

u can wear high brand sneakers without them looking loud. Example, air maxes prob the best way to wear stuff without looking loud.

i'll give example

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I see my relationship with sneakers like ninjahood's relationship with da hemis.
I appreciate the aesthetics and history, but I'm not going to own it.

Originally Posted by Dagrandesoda

tangent here but...

Stop with the quality agrgument. My 2000 VI infrared and olympics still holding up and look perfect I wear them monthly. That quality arguemnt makes no sense. Aint nobody saying that new retros got the best quality, but most og collectors have og shoes that they had from a while back and if they managed them and wore them properply, they should still be holding up. I got a whole section of vintage stuff that still wearable and holdtting up like brand new so dare bring that talk of quality in. Add to the fact that I PAID retail for most of my ogs diff makes it me feel better than buying 400 fergamamo shoes. I got 150 dress shoes that lookk just as good. The arguement I was making was that leaving 1 luxury item for one more expensive is not a justifiable excuse for why you leaving sneaker game. You leave cause you dont like sneakers no more or you trend hoping tryna "Grow up" but still spending money on luxury itmes you prob dont need

not trying to thread derail.

i was merely trying to make the point that when it comes to some "luxury" goods, the high retail price can be somewhat warranted (i acknowleged that part of the cost is in the name brand).  you referenced your 150 dress shoes that look just as good.  I am not doubting they look just as good.  I do doubt that they are crafted as well and hold up as well as the $400 italian leather shoes.  One of the reasons why i buy more expensive dress shoes is because I have to wear them almost every day, and I want to buy something that looks good, is comfortable, and most importantly will last.  I probably went through half a dozen $100 pairs of Banana Republic, Aldo, or someother type of affordable dress shoes that gave me blisters and got thrashed in less than a year before I finally made the decision to buy a nice pair of shoes.  It is a decision I do not regret at all.

not sure if youre last sentence was directed at me, but I didnt leave the game or whatever beacuse I dont like sneakers no more and I'm trying to trend hop.  I have every pair of sneakers that I want/wanted save the 2 pairs I mentioned in a previous post.  Why continue the search when I've already found what I was looking for?

your problem is being a so called "sneakerhead" and calling it "shoe game"
30t6p3b.gif

whatever happened to just buying what you liked? a lot of you bought shoes beacuse it was the shoe to have. thats where y'all went wrong

It's dead.

Last pair of shoes I bought were Playoff VIII's (worked @ Finishline).

Sold them in March of '08 for $65 & never bought another pair of shoes.

It's all hype & see who can get the most.

I had 30+ pairs at one point, but I've sold/given away a lot of stuff.

The game is dead & too many people in it think they're better than everybody, 'cause of a pair of shoes.

It was cool back in high school, when I worked right next door to the school, & blew all my checks on exclusive AF1's/Jordan's...just to have fun & break necks. Now, it's completely washed up & played out.

I'd rather put money into my car now or just save it.

Selling everything else in my collection now...

Originally Posted by Dagrandesoda

tangent here but...

not trying to thread derail.

i was merely trying to make the point that when it comes to some "luxury" goods, the high retail price can be somewhat warranted (i acknowleged that part of the cost is in the name brand).  you referenced your 150 dress shoes that look just as good.  I am not doubting they look just as good.  I do doubt that they are crafted as well and hold up as well as the $400 italian leather shoes.  One of the reasons why i buy more expensive dress shoes is because I have to wear them almost every day, and I want to buy something that looks good, is comfortable, and most importantly will last.  I probably went through half a dozen $100 pairs of Banana Republic, Aldo, or someother type of affordable dress shoes that gave me blisters and got thrashed in less than a year before I finally made the decision to buy a nice pair of shoes.  It is a decision I do not regret at all.

not sure if youre last sentence was directed at me, but I didnt leave the game or whatever beacuse I dont like sneakers no more and I'm trying to trend hop.  I hetter thread for some good ave every pair of sneakers that I want/wanted save the 2 pairs I mentioned in a previous post.  Why continue the search when I've already found what I was looking for?
It was a statement to all thosse leaving the game for very foolish reasons. You must have been buying the wrong dresR s shoes friend. You listed bR and Aldo as if they are were you need to go to get good dress shoes. Try some italian retailers(doubt you speak italian, but most have transated sites) or try waited for places like zappos to have sales and you can get that once 300 dress shoes for 175. It truely all depends on how you look at quality of the shoes weather dey be dress shoes or sneakers. Your crazy if you think errr
rrbody rocking fergamo that work in a business or corarpte enviroment. MAtter fact check the dressing better thread for good deals ON HIGH QUALITY DRESS SHOES. THEY GOT THIS ONE bald dude in there from ATL  that has a great dress shoe game and I know all his shoes dont be 400.

Originally Posted by Treb2k5

It's dead.

Last pair of shoes I bought were Playoff VIII's (worked @ Finishline).

Sold them in March of '08 for $65 & never bought another pair of shoes.

It's all hype & see who can get the most.

I had 30+ pairs at one point, but I've sold/given away a lot of stuff.

The game is dead & too many people in it think they're better than everybody, 'cause of a pair of shoes.

I'd rather put money into my car now or just save it.

Selling everything else in my collection now...

you just lost interest man. thats all that is. Sneaker joint aint a game. You either live through it or you live it. Quote that and make a shirt out of it.

Back
Top Bottom