African Descendants ✊🏿 Black People - Americas, Africa, Caribbean Culture Discussion

91ADA665-E8FC-4850-AEEF-0388DF3B7BAB.jpeg

His first photo out of jail...smh

It's fascinating (and somewhat disappointing) to learn more about the extent of infighting and division between the Afrikan diaspora. My family is Antiguan (I posted here with another account months ago; lost it when I tried changing my email) and my mother is often telling me about how some people back home have problems with African immigrants settling and "mixing" with the locals. A lot of them apparently dislike other Caribbeans, specifically Jamaicans and Dominicans (not from DR), coming in and "taking their jobs" as well. Obviously, not everyone shares these views but it's interesting.

Regardless, I hope y'all are doing well.

Last edited:
It's fascinating (and somewhat disappointing) to learn more about the extent of infighting and division between the Afrikan diaspora. My family is Antiguan (I posted here with another account months ago; lost it when I tried changing my email) and my mother is often telling me about how some people back home have problems with African immigrants settling and "mixing" with the locals. A lot of them apparently dislike other Caribbeans, specifically Jamaicans and Dominicans (not from DR), coming in and "taking their jobs" as well. Obviously, not everyone shares these views but it's interesting.

Regardless, I hope y'all are doing well.

Its either we become petty over our differences or we unite based on our similarities, its that simple.

French Black man from the diaspora here, can't ****ing stand my country anymore, if anybody got any jobs/leads in your country so I can get the **** outta here, i would highly appreciate it. Thanks in advance
What triggered this reaction?

What triggered this reaction?
"Far-rightization" of politics and media these last few years which leads to a less subtle racism of the general population. For instance, we're not killed by the police at the same rate as y'all (thank God) but we can't even organize and even less get justice. Google Assa Traoré for a clear example. The actual President's residence was constructed by one of the richest slavers like it's no big deal etc. At least y'all are able to deconstruct your country's history and systemic racism whereas even that is denied to us: every ****ing year, studies show how unequal we still are in terms of job opportunities, housing, education and whatnot but it's still "**** you and your feelings" and "if you don't like it here, you can always go back to your country" when they chained, enslaved and colonized our *** to France. Worse thing is next year's election will see the access to power of a real life far right party.

"Far-rightization" of politics and media these last few years which leads to a less subtle racism of the general population. For instance, we're not killed by the police at the same rate as y'all (thank God) but we can't even organize and even less get justice. Google Assa Traoré for a clear example. The actual President's residence was constructed by one of the richest slavers like it's no big deal etc. At least y'all are able to deconstruct your country's history and systemic racism whereas even that is denied to us: every ****ing year, studies show how unequal we still are in terms of job opportunities, housing, education and whatnot but it's still "**** you and your feelings" and "if you don't like it here, you can always go back to your country" when they chained, enslaved and colonized our *** to France. Worse thing is next year's election will see the access to power of a real life far right party.
What could ppl (domestic & abroad) do to make things better?

I don't really know. As far as the upcoming election, i think it might be too little too late and we might see some instances of "civil war-like events" when it's said and done, just like your Charlotteville or the Capitol invasion etc. Problem is, our police is not equipped to handle it and casualties could be numerous.
As far as the general situation, i guess foreign journalists could focus less on the Eiffel Tower and Paris fashion week and more about social issues. On another hand, american companies in France should start putting more black (and asian and arab etc) people in managerial and power positions, just like your model of affirmative action, instead of the reproduction of the existing power structure.
I guess the real solution might be for all black people worldwide to really **** with each other as far as banking etc because, unlike y'all, community or "communautarism" is seen here as secessionist and damn near criminal. For instance we're "forced" to bank with the same banks that work with real estate companies that are discriminatory against us and whatnot.
(Sorry if this all sound like a rant but lockdown just has been reinstated and I'm fed the **** up, cheers to ya'll and yours)

I cannot judge the brother in good faith because I used to deal with white women and probably would have said something like that in my late teens/early 20s. As I continue to learn more of black/Afrikan history and take pride in who I am, I am increasingly ashamed of my past. This knowledge can change you (for the better).

Better late than never.

Last edited:
"This romance and the obstacles it encountered say a lot about the mentality of a part of newly decolonised Africa and the realities of life in Gabon at the time. Above all, it reveals the relationship that the black populations of Jamaica, the Caribbean and perhaps even the US had with an idealised continent, which was fantasised about but generally very little known."

April 16, 1862 marks the abolition of slavery in the District of Columbia. Over 3,000 enslaved persons were freed eight months before the Emancipation Proclamation liberated slaves in the South. The District also has the distinction of being the only part of the United States to have compensated slave owners for freeing enslaved persons they held.

"This romance and the obstacles it encountered say a lot about the mentality of a part of newly decolonised Africa and the realities of life in Gabon at the time. Above all, it reveals the relationship that the black populations of Jamaica, the Caribbean and perhaps even the US had with an idealised continent, which was fantasised about but generally very little known."

Great read

Back
Top Bottom