African Descendants ✊🏿 Black People - Americas, Africa, Caribbean Culture Discussion

I wish black people were 100% independent too trust me.

However, if I’m going to spend 4 hours a year roughly voting I would vote for the lesser of 2 evils. One that can give us incremental changes as opposed to one that won’t give us anything at all.

Democrats = bad
Republicans = super duper evil

As of right now I won’t even vote in the 2024 election because Biden has been a disappointment so far, I definitely would have never voted Republican but I’ll at least withhold my vote for the Democrats.

One gives you the option to continue to plan and execute outside that process, the other you have to put plans on hold to deal with immediate threats. The current iteration of the American Republican party is so proudly and openly white supremacist, I don't get the idealism ignoring that.

I don't understand why Black Americans have to save the Dems
to get free crack pipes and be neglected.

I don't understand why every time we point that out Dems point the finger at Republicans and believe we are bound to them

If it is a threat we need to deal with it head on not slowly because we need to please everybody.

only group where everyone has to agree for any real action

but ok

Saving the Dems?

I would argue that these rich, old people in charge of the Democratic party won't personally be affected if they become a permanent minority in congress.

They won't lose sleep if you don't vote; those who lose their seats will just go ahead and become lobbyists, think tank founders, consultants, and what have you.

And we will be wherever we are, trying to source Ta-Nehisi Coates books from black market dealers after they've been banned from mainstream bookstores and public librairies by Republicans and trying to explain to our kids why Brandon can wear his "guns, family, flag" tee at school but they get suspended for wearing a red/black/green tee.

Black folks don't have the power to abstain from political participation (despite what our favorite charlatans are telling us); it just doesn't work like spending money.

Okay lets keep voting and hope for the best all we can do

I mean I don't want to piss anyone off or lose what little I have

Black market dealers?? like what was taught in public schools was profound history

Some cool guy talking some black male politics

Im not a republican (nor a democrat for that matter) so I did not find this offensive to me but we gotta get off this whole narrative that black men have anti-lgbt rhetoric like its a major issue against that community. If anything we have white lgbt individuals and groups that that have contempt, vitriol and historical despicable actions towards our black people as a whole; including our sistas and our black lgbt family as well but thats a whole other thread, I just had to point that out...

F7853F58-65F0-4265-B708-67D52880E64F.jpeg

FYI this was from the official GOP twitter account and y’all want me to vote for them?

The appraisal industry remains one of the country's least diverse professions; 98% of appraisers are White, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Research has shown that appraisers choose comps in a narrower geographic range for properties in Black and Latino neighborhoods than in White neighborhoods, the report said.

"You've been told these houses can't get this expensive; it's Prince George's County. It's an all-Black neighborhood," said Jack Sonceau an appraiser in the region since 2005, who is Black. "Until we get a diverse workforce, this is going to continue to happen."

"At the end of the day, even though we knew we'd gain equity faster if we lived almost anywhere else, we couldn't put a price tag on the sense of community," said Priestly, 42.

They moved into their new home, which cost $1.68 million, last April. But when they got it appraised to turn their construction loan into a 30-year conventional mortgage loan, it was assessed at $1.3 million. They had to come to closing with twice as much cash as they had anticipated.

Priestly shared their experience with neighbors, including the Taylors, and discovered a pattern of undervaluation. Last summer, they started a grass-roots network called Fair and Unbiased Appraisal Advocates. Their message: Black Homes Matter.

The goal, she said, is to empower other Black homeowners to understand their rights, appeal unfair appraisals and file complaints with the state, recourse she had not known was available.

"There is a cascading effect to low appraisals, creating a stagnation that looms over Black people at every socioeconomic level," Priestly said. " ... It can stifle the ability to create generational wealth. You're saying Black people can only go so far."

The appeal to right-wing politics boils down to two things: religion and money. The money angle is the most deceiving one because the brand of capitalism the GOP supports never takes into account the economic concerns of Black people. They never address issues like maintaining wealth through home ownership (as shown in the first article) within black communities in a substantial way; instead, they find black success stories they parade during CPAC to "motivate" and "show support" for the idea of black economic freedom with no effort to actually invest money and develop the human capital within the black community (just like our African politicians who celebrate continental trophies without ever putting a dime into sports development).

I don't understand why every time we point that out Dems point the finger at Republicans and believe we are bound to them

If it is a threat we need to deal with it head on not slowly because we need to please everybody.

only group where everyone has to agree for any real action

but ok

democrats might not be a great option, but they are a legit option

this is what you’re getting from republicans:

Back
Top Bottom