Air Jordan 1 Banned NO BUYING/SELLING/TRADING!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said before, it's all your opinion but it's a no brainer these will drop in value after these get the OG treatment. Banneds were a gimmick, you can keep trying to trick people into thinking these are grail status $500+ shoes with superb quality but I've owned a pair and wore them quite a few times before trading them off. If you actually wear these shoes, you would know the quality is nothing special. If your just judging by the look and feel, sure it may come off as that but they don't hold up well in the toebox area and the black area fades rather easily. I'm not trying to play the villian, simply stating it from my perspective and experience with this shoe (if that touches a nerve, that's ur insecurity, not me). To say these are worth $450+ is ridiculous. All I did was walk casually in these and it's obvious, majority of people in here still have their pair on ice so value is really important to them. Wear your shoes then give some realistic feedback instead of letting them collect dust and claiming grail status

No where did I say I didn't LIKE the shoe, Bred 1s are one of my favs. But this version in particular annoys me because it's definitely misconceived, partially because I blame the overzealous people trying to up value on shoes

^ or they're just simply stating that the banned's have the best quality leather of any jordan 1...

and leather that soft creases extra easily, so save the speech about the toe box...

i'm not saying any of this cuz i care about the value, i have no plans to sell my 2 pair... i'm just sayin', for those who love bred 1's, these are the best ones they've released so far (other than the OG's, obviously)...

I'm happy with the pair I've got that I've been wearing since release date. I had an extra pair that I got rid of in December at a great price for the buyer. Seeing how much people have paid for their pairs here makes me think I could have gotten considerably more than what I sold them for, but at the time I was more concerned with not having to haggle with anyone and clear some space in my house. I don't know if I'd ever pay what they're going for now, but they were definitely worth the box price.

Even if there's a Black/Red 1 that releases with premium leather it won't be the same type of leather as the 1's. It's a really unique tumbled, full grain leather that has more of a raw/unpolished feel to it. That alone sets it apart from any "better" or "worse" release of this model of shoe. But that's not the only reason these will maintain and over time go up in value.

This shoe is a celebration and commemoration of how Michael Jordan and the Air Jordan 1 changed sneakers forever. I recently started dating a girl, and she was curious about my sneaker collection. Did I have one shoe that was very special to me or that stood out from the rest? I showed her this one and explained the story behind MJ wearing these in 1985, and told her the story behind this release. "You couldn't wear black and red shoes in the NBA? That can't be right."

Today the thought of footwear not being a choice one makes - both as a statement in style as well as an athletic necessity - seems absurd. What does a 2001 or 2013 release do to tell that story, to make sure people don't forget about it and how one aspect of our culture has evolved in the past 25 years? It doesn't do anything the way the 1985 originals do, and certainly isn't comparable to the Banneds. Not only is it a great story to share and recall, but there's the story of this release as well. Can you imagine the chaos if they tried to do a release like this in 2013? It would be utter chaos (and still was to a limited degree then). It really stands as a watershed moment in the recent sneaker culture, and not something we will see happen in such a way anytime soon. For that reason this is a very personal release, so regardless of your own interest in owning any old BRed Air Jordan I, most collectors who put in the TIME (we camped our butts out in the late hours of the evening or early hours of the morning to be sure we got a pair) don't want to part with these. You're never going to see prices on these fall, especially as the DS pairs dry up even further.

So feel free to think whatever you want about how a future BRed 1 release impacts this shoe's price or value to you personally, but don't forget why it stands alone.

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks these will "hold value" are dumb. Probably said the same thing about their baseball cards or beanie baby's. shoes are a fad and will die out eventually

Anyone who thinks these will "hold value" are dumb. Probably said the same thing about their baseball cards or beanie baby's. shoes are a fad and will die out eventually

Beanie babies had a shelf life of what... 3 years? LOL. I knew the guy whose mom came up with them and sold them to TY. That was a passing fad. Sneakers and sneaker culture are here to stay. We're about 30 years in and it's one of the biggest apparel markets in the world right now. 100 years from now maybe there won't be a market, but the baseball card example is a pretty poor one given the unique issues that market has seen and yet that market held up for decades, and still holds up for the truly vintage stuff.

Beanie babies had a shelf life of what... 3 years? LOL. I knew the guy whose mom came up with them and sold them to TY. That was a passing fad. Sneakers and sneaker culture are here to stay. We're about 30 years in and it's one of the biggest apparel markets in the world right now. 100 years from now maybe there won't be a market, but the baseball card example is a pretty poor one given the unique issues that market has seen and yet that market held up for decades, and still holds up for the truly vintage stuff.
THIS. Truly don't think the value of these banneds will take a hit once the new breds supposively drop in November. This was definately a collectors shoe and a commemorative one at that. But to each his own, those saying it will drop are the ones who probably dont own them

the leather is def part of the reason they will retain their value, especially to true collectors, and lovers of jordan 1's...

the other points are also valid reasons why they won't drop in value too terribly...

but to try to compare a shoe that retails for just above $100.00 to a luxury shoe like Balenciaga's, that's OD... of course the leather isn't that much better than normal, but it is def significantly better, and for true collector's, that's what they want the most (especially since JB kills everyone with such crap materials all the time)...

says a guy who is a member of an online shoe community, dont start regretting it now dude

I'm happy with the pair I've got that I've been wearing since release date. I had an extra pair that I got rid of in December at a great price for the buyer. Seeing how much people have paid for their pairs here makes me think I could have gotten considerably more than what I sold them for, but at the time I was more concerned with not having to haggle with anyone and clear some space in my house. I don't know if I'd ever pay what they're going for now, but they were definitely worth the box price.

You hit the nail right on the head. In the last decade, this is the only shoe that has came out worthy of the msrp. The last era for me was 99-01.

I don't see Banned's dropping in value. 

To put it in general terms:

The "general public" really wants some Bred 1's. They don't care if they are 01's, DMP's or Banned's, they just want a Bred 1. Once the 2013's come out later this year, the demand from them will dry up. 

The "sneaker enthusiasts" who appreciate the story behind the Banned 1 release, and especially the quality, will still have strong demand for this release. 

In simple supply demand terms, the population of "sneaker enthusiasts" who want Banned's will exceed the supply of DS pairs out there today. I don't see these ever going below $450 a pair. 

well, yeah... the NA def was the highlight, that was the first time JB had put NA on a shoe since what, 2001?

that coupled with the quality leather and odd outlet only release made these what they are... their value surpassed 2001's from what i've seen...

The "general public" really wants some Bred 1's. They don't care if they are 01's, DMP's or Banned's, they just want a Bred 1. Once the 2013's come out later this year, the demand from them will dry up. 

The "sneaker enthusiasts" who appreciate the story behind the Banned 1 release, and especially the quality, will still have strong demand for this release. 

In simple supply demand terms, the population of "sneaker enthusiasts" who want Banned's will exceed the supply of DS pairs out there today. I don't see these ever going below $450 a pair. 

Supply and demand are concepts most of the morons on NT can't grasp. Same reason chumps jump on paying abusive prices right out of the gate, only to whine when they fall back to earth 3 weeks later. This is one of the dumbest consumer groups on the planet right now.

if jb releases these without nike air on the tonuge, they wont garner the same hype as the 2013 royals. so i agree with you there with the "general public " perception. sneaker enthusiasts will jump all over them if they do have nike air on them, just as most went against their stance on paying more than 250 for the 2013 royals. 

Yep. What real collectors/enthusiasts/whatever you wanna call it care about first and foremost in retros is "similarity to OG." Quality is a non-factor if a newer retro gets closer to the og than the last retro (point I was making with the cement 3).

The banneds however, HAVE the Nike Air ALREADY and the X is so subtle that it doesn't matter. They are so close to the OG in terms of aesthetics that the improved quality of leather actually IS a value adding factor. It is not a value retaining factor though. Do you get what I'm saying?

Like. Put Nike Air on the new WC3. The jumpman 2011 and jumpman 2003 versions are now non-factors even though the 2003 version had some of JB's best leather. I think almost all of us would pick the Nike Air 2013s over the 2003s if we were given the choice at both for same price.

With these banneds. Put Nike Air on a new bred 1 this november. The 2001 version is now a non-factor because it's coming out again with slightly different leather. The banneds, however, are still valued by many because of their story, distribution, AND since they are still true to OG form, the better leather is a plus. I think almost all of us would pick the banneds over the 2013s if we were given the choice at both for same price. If the banneds didn't have that Nike Air none of y'all would be checking for them after this new drop.
exactly my dude. just like those of us fortunate to have 01 royals and 2013 royals, id still choose the 01s anyday. thats why i traded my extra pair of 2013s

Am i the only one who thinksAir Jordan 1's are the LAST sneakers that should be iced in a closet. OG, Banned '01, '94, it doesn't matter. These are the poster children for basketball sneakers. I love the way 1's look on feet and if I'm paying $140+ for em I'm def rockin, let alone 600+ for some banned 1's

well, yeah... the NA def was the highlight, that was the first time JB had put NA on a shoe since what, 2001?

that coupled with the quality leather and odd outlet only release made these what they are... their value surpassed 2001's from what i've seen...

Yep. What real collectors/enthusiasts/whatever you wanna call it care about first and foremost in retros is "similarity to OG." Quality is a non-factor if a newer retro gets closer to the og than the last retro (point I was making with the cement 3).

The banneds however, HAVE the Nike Air ALREADY and the X is so subtle that it doesn't matter. They are so close to the OG in terms of aesthetics that the improved quality of leather actually IS a value adding factor. It is not a value retaining factor though. Do you get what I'm saying?

Like. Put Nike Air on the new WC3. The jumpman 2011 and jumpman 2003 versions are now non-factors even though the 2003 version had some of JB's best leather. I think almost all of us would pick the Nike Air 2013s over the 2003s if we were given the choice at both for same price.

With these banneds. Put Nike Air on a new bred 1 this november. The 2001 version is now a non-factor because it's coming out again with slightly different leather. The banneds, however, are still valued by many because of their story, distribution, AND since they are still true to OG form, the better leather is a plus. I think almost all of us would pick the banneds over the 2013s if we were given the choice at both for same price. If the banneds didn't have that Nike Air none of y'all would be checking for them after this new drop.

Lets not forget all the extra details on the bans, like the box, the shoe lace details, stamps, etc. that will make this shoe almost priceless at some point.

Lets not forget all the extra details on the bans, like the box, the shoe lace details, stamps, etc. that will make this shoe almost priceless at some point.

yeah, cats trying to say it's a gimmick, and maybe it was in some ways to JB, but to me, and a lot of others, it was JB FINALLY acknowledging the real history and cool little factors about how it all started with these shoes, and throwing us a bone with NA, the size stamp inside the shoe, etc, for those who love OG elements, and nod's to the nostalgia of it all... that's the biggest reason these will retain their value, at least among the real collectors (and cuz there aren't a lot of DS pairs out there anymore)...

and yes, OG 1's should be worn... cuz they never become unwearable... it's funny to me how out of all the advanced technology of the models after the 1's, the 1's are the only ones that are still wearable from like, the first 10 OG jordan releases...

the only reason to keep a pair on ice is so you have a krispy pair, but you don't have to retire any of 'em (unless they're absolutely trashed, lol)... i always have such a nostalgic feeling when wearing my '85 black toes...

A lot of valid points so I respect that, no doubt I'm not denying that the quality on the Banned 1s are better then recent memory but still subpar IMO after it being worn and the price still isn't justified. I would still rather have a version more true to the OG then the banned version. But I understand that sometimes a little uniqueness is good too instead of always the OG version, which I guess these Banned 1s bring to the table, a different twist. If you actually love the shoe and plan to hold onto it and wear it, more power to you. I just figured logically speaking, once the Bred 1s in true form drop, I can't see how people will still be willing to pay ridiculous prices for Banneds, especially when a lot of you guys are saying you can't really tell the difference on feet. If cats are planning to cash out, I'd do so now before the release is actually confirmed and on every blog site

A lot of valid points so I respect that, no doubt I'm not denying that the quality on the Banned 1s are better then recent memory but still subpar IMO after it being worn and the price still isn't justified. I would still rather have a version more true to the OG then the banned version. But I understand that sometimes a little uniqueness is good too instead of always the OG version, which I guess these Banned 1s bring to the table, a different twist. If you actually love the shoe and plan to hold onto it and wear it, more power to you. I just figured logically speaking, once the Bred 1s in true form drop, I can't see how people will still be willing to pay ridiculous prices for Banneds, especially when a lot of you guys are saying you can't really tell the difference on feet. If cats are planning to cash out, I'd do so now before the release is actually confirmed and on every blog site

Well what you're missing here is the simple economics of the issue: 9,000 pairs were made. How many are left DS? Let's say 20%. That's 1,800 pairs out there. So maybe 250-300 in each size. As those pairs get worn or sold into a permanent home (at a high price point) the supply dries up on these. BE REALISTIC! There's so many collectors out there now that it's hard to believe there won't be a 500-1,000 people a year still on the hunt for a pair over the next 4-5 years. 6-8 years after release it's going to be a question of how many pairs are still VVNDS. Obviously the value on these won't be at the 1K mark, but look at what a 2001 Royal or BRed fetches. You have to imagine it falls into a slightly higher price range than those based on how much more limited they are.

So yeah, I think people want to discount them if they don't own them, but if you're someone like me who has 2 pairs, one that's on ice and one that's nice and crispy still, you know you're sitting on a piece of sneaker history and a valuable piece in a collection for modern day retros.

Well what you're missing here is the simple economics of the issue: 9,000 pairs were made. How many are left DS? Let's say 20%. That's 1,800 pairs out there. So maybe 250-300 in each size. As those pairs get worn or sold into a permanent home (at a high price point) the supply dries up on these. BE REALISTIC! There's so many collectors out there now that it's hard to believe there won't be a 500-1,000 people a year still on the hunt for a pair over the next 4-5 years. 6-8 years after release it's going to be a question of how many pairs are still VVNDS. Obviously the value on these won't be at the 1K mark, but look at what a 2001 Royal or BRed fetches. You have to imagine it falls into a slightly higher price range than those based on how much more limited they are.

So yeah, I think people want to discount them if they don't own them, but if you're someone like me who has 2 pairs, one that's on ice and one that's nice and crispy still, you know you're sitting on a piece of sneaker history and a valuable piece in a collection for modern day retros.

Good points y'all. Nice to see solid mature discussion. Gameupz I see your point that if they do drop in OG form in Nov a few may look away from the Banneds, but also realize from past releases like '01 & '13 Royals, '03 '11 '13 White Cements, '01 '08 '12 B/red XI, and a few more but once these shoes are reretroed we have the mentality that value will drop. But I've observed the opposite as of late. With the 2001 Royals I saw them around $300-$400, and once they released again this month they went for more. In December before the '88 info leaked I was on the hunt for some '11 white cements, and they were $180-$220, but again after the '88 release I saw em selling for $300+. What I'm trying to say is everytime a shoe releases again its predecessor increases in value. I can tell you those bafoons asking for 1K will finally get off their high horse and get realistic with the pricing tho.

Collectors, & hypesters seek rarity. Rare shoes will take dips, but always steadily increase in value down as time goes on.

Maybe it's more so the colorway. The black/red 1 along with a couple of the OG colorways have become really popular recently. I swear about 4-5 years ago you couldn't give away a pair of 1's but the sneaker game shifts I guess. Bottom line is that if these come out the DMP's will still be going for at least 300+ the K.O.'s will be going for about the same and '01's will become the the top of the grail list. I don't have a preference personally. The banned's are an amazing shoe that celebrate the legacy of the air Jordan line but is more of a commemorative shoe. The crazy thing is when these were $110 at the Nike outlet nobody was hearing me at how frenzied they would be. 2 years and $710 later....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom