Air Jordan 1 Banned NO BUYING/SELLING/TRADING!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a testament to the Banned 1s and how special the shoe truly is this thread was started back in 2010 shoe dropped around May 2011. What other shoe around that time are we still talking about, or has a thread still going strong?

^ well i think its being talked about because of all the og 1s coming out this year but true its a great sneaker id love to see in person one day >D

Anyone who thinks these will "hold value" are dumb. Probably said the same thing about their baseball cards or beanie baby's. shoes are a fad and will die out eventually

Beanie babies had a shelf life of what... 3 years? LOL. I knew the guy whose mom came up with them and sold them to TY. That was a passing fad. Sneakers and sneaker culture are here to stay. We're about 30 years in and it's one of the biggest apparel markets in the world right now. 100 years from now maybe there won't be a market, but the baseball card example is a pretty poor one given the unique issues that market has seen and yet that market held up for decades, and still holds up for the truly vintage stuff.

So your saying the hype for jordans hasn't gone up a lot in the last three years? Collecting jordans is a fad to most people and it will die out eventually. Some fads last longer than others.

So your saying the hype for jordans hasn't gone up a lot in the last three years? Collecting jordans is a fad to most people and it will die out eventually. Some fads last longer than others.
yes, the "hype" may have gone up in the past couple of years.  but I think the argument being made is that REAL collectors/enthusiasts/etc will still want the Banneds even after the hypesters have moved on to the next new fad or "hot" thing

yes, the "hype" may have gone up in the past couple of years.  but I think the argument being made is that REAL collectors/enthusiasts/etc will still want the Banneds even after the hypesters have moved on to the next new fad or "hot" thing
i actually enjoy the state that shoe hype is right now, with so much hype surrounding most lebron and non jb releases, a smart dude like me can easily turn a begrudged purchase of some lebrons or foams into some og jordans in trade. ive been in the kick game since high school and have gone from jordans to sbs to air maxes to sbs to jordans all over again. with all the "hypebeasts" coming out be sure they can all be suckered into paying hype prices and im not above selling them kicks i dont really want to turn around and get something ive had my eye on. Darwin was right.  Ive said it on this thread before, turned 2013 royals plus 150 cash for ds banned 1s.

"My ego thrives on props, so give me mine"

Last edited:
As a testament to the Banned 1s and how special the shoe truly is this thread was started back in 2010 shoe dropped around May 2011. What other shoe around that time are we still talking about, or has a thread still going strong?

yeah i cant remember a old tread like this one that comes back

It shows how strong the sneaker community is. I'm glad we're all excited about the 1st air Jordan.

Well what you're missing here is the simple economics of the issue: 9,000 pairs were made. How many are left DS? Let's say 20%. That's 1,800 pairs out there. So maybe 250-300 in each size. As those pairs get worn or sold into a permanent home (at a high price point) the supply dries up on these. BE REALISTIC! There's so many collectors out there now that it's hard to believe there won't be a 500-1,000 people a year still on the hunt for a pair over the next 4-5 years. 6-8 years after release it's going to be a question of how many pairs are still VVNDS. Obviously the value on these won't be at the 1K mark, but look at what a 2001 Royal or BRed fetches. You have to imagine it falls into a slightly higher price range than those based on how much more limited they are.

So yeah, I think people want to discount them if they don't own them, but if you're someone like me who has 2 pairs, one that's on ice and one that's nice and crispy still, you know you're sitting on a piece of sneaker history and a valuable piece in a collection for modern day retros.

another thing to realize is that there are hardcore enthusiasts who ONLY collect OG and special edition 1s. Especially in Japan. It's really like a subculture in sneaker collecting. These only dropped in US outlets and weren't available in the rest of the world. And people in other parts of the world will pay BIG money for a DS pair just for collection purposes. And consider this, a DS pair of these is currently going on the bottom end of the scale for what a DS pair of 1985s with the box would go for. They go for more than the 1994 and 2001 retros despite being only 2 years old. AND the demand is so strong on these, they pushed up the value of those POS DMP Bulls 1s to $200.

Of all the shoes that have released and will released by Jordan Brand, THESE are the opus. The most special because it represents the founding on the whole Jordan Brand. The leather is so supple it only creases slightly because of the distressing and soft nature. The three special sets of laces, need i remind you all, had Imagine If? on the tips. Not to mention that the type of insole that was used on the Banned 1s has a silky feel and tells the story of why the shoe was made. No..these will NEVER drop in price.

another thing to realize is that there are hardcore enthusiasts who ONLY collect OG and special edition 1s. Especially in Japan. It's really like a subculture in sneaker collecting. These only dropped in US outlets and weren't available in the rest of the world. And people in other parts of the world will pay BIG money for a DS pair just for collection purposes. And consider this, a DS pair of these is currently going on the bottom end of the scale for what a DS pair of 1985s with the box would go for. They go for more than the 1994 and 2001 retros despite being only 2 years old. AND the demand is so strong on these, they pushed up the value of those POS DMP Bulls 1s to $200.

Of all the shoes that have released and will released by Jordan Brand, THESE are the opus. The most special because it represents the founding on the whole Jordan Brand. The leather is so supple it only creases slightly because of the distressing and soft nature. The three special sets of laces, need i remind you all, had Imagine If? on the tips. Not to mention that the type of insole that was used on the Banned 1s has a silky feel and tells the story of why the shoe was made. No..these will NEVER drop in price.
this

To me, supply and demand more so only applies to shoes where the color or shoe hasn't been redone a million times. So say something like a BIN 23 shoe, a Yeezy or any shoe that hasn't really been remade and is still an original. Bred 1s is nothing new, people have so many different options of this shoe that it's really easy to look the other way and pass on Banned 1s and cop a fresh retro in OG form in 2013 with everything done correctly, no gimmicks for a much lower price. You can state all the little details and factors but at the end of the day, it's not enough for these Banned 1s to stand out alone. Just think about how many Bred 1s have been made in the past and now with a new retro in OG form done correctly (assuming), this just adds into how many Bred 1s there will be combined with all the past releases.

There is more then enough supply of these Bred 1s in any form and when they do release, the supply will be met again. So supply and demand for these Banned 1s just isn't there, any collector who was serious about these in the past I bet should already have them and waiting on the OG retro. Personally I'd just cash out now if that is on anyone's mind

To me, supply and demand more so only applies to shoes where the color or shoe hasn't been redone a million times. So say something like a BIN 23 shoe, a Yeezy or any shoe that hasn't really been remade and is still an original. Bred 1s is nothing new, people have so many different options of this shoe that it's really easy to look the other way and pass on Banned 1s and cop a fresh retro in OG form in 2013 with everything done correctly, no gimmicks for a much lower price. You can state all the little details and factors but at the end of the day, it's not enough for these Banned 1s to stand out alone. Just think about how many Bred 1s have been made in the past and now with a new retro in OG form done correctly (assuming), this just adds into how many Bred 1s there will be combined with all the past releases.

There is more then enough supply of these Bred 1s in any form and when they do release, the supply will be met again. So supply and demand for these Banned 1s just isn't there, any collector who was serious about these in the past I bet should already have them and waiting on the OG retro. Personally I'd just cash out now if that is on anyone's mind

There's absolutely nothing to support this claim. The supply for THIS SPECIFIC SHOE will remain low regardless. More importantly, the demand for a specific Banned version will remain high amongst collectors. I outlined this pretty well. I'd also add, anytime there's a shoe that's been done a bunch, a version that stands out on multiple levels differentiates itself and holds value because of that.

Last edited:
That's your opinion, I rather educate the people instead of letting them get sold and pay rape prices. I've had experiences with this shoe DS and worn, I'm not expecting anyone to agree with me because afterall this is the Jordan 1s Banned thread and most people who read this thread probably owns a DS pair but I'm not worried about that or the backlash. When other people read my comments, hopefully they realize and don't fall victim. That's all

yup, chicago 1s and ajko's ...haha
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Honestly I think the AJKO's blk/red are really nice, however Chicago 1s are a legit tragedy. But on a serious note are fake pairs out there? fake box and all??!

There's absolutely nothing to support this claim. The supply for THIS SPECIFIC SHOE will remain low regardless. More importantly, the demand for a specific Banned version will remain high amongst collectors. I outlined this pretty well. I'd also add, anytime there's a shoe that's been done a bunch, a version that stands out on multiple levels differentiates itself and holds value because of that.
This is true. I have been collecting sneakers for years and since the Banned surfaced I feel like I NEED these sneakers. I am still trying to get a pair, and its something I have been trying to do for a while now. I even tried trading a worn pair of my Yeezy 1 Zen Grey for them. The people that do have them have a really hard time letting go of them. 

Our point was that the Banned 1's should be considered to have a distinct demand from the rest of "Bred 1's." That demand associated with that distinction will not be diluted by the release of more Bred 1's.  

I have 01's, DMPs, and AJ KOs. They just aren't the same as Banneds. This is a special shoe. 

You guys got me about to spend $580.00 on these joints...this is the second closest I have gotten to them. I don't think the Banneds are for everyone, it really depends on the sneaker collector. My friends always ask me why I still want these shoes and I think its more of the significance of the shoe. Just like trappedintime said, some shoes are just great stories. I don't think anyones "drinking banned kool-aid" because they want this shoe, most people with them don't really wear them or dont wear them at all. If what Michael ever did in his Jordans has importance to you then this is a shoe you NEED in your collection, but if your just buying Jordans because of colors then your not about this banned life stay in your lane. 

The Jordan 1 Bred wasn't even the actual shoe that the NBA banned.......so whatever story you think this shoe has, in actuality it doesn't even apply. It's another marketing scheme JB is selling to you guys and did it well judging by the responses

That's your opinion, I rather educate the people instead of letting them get sold and pay rape prices. I've had experiences with this shoe DS and worn, I'm not expecting anyone to agree with me because afterall this is the Jordan 1s Banned thread and most people who read this thread probably owns a DS pair but I'm not worried about that or the backlash. When other people read my comments, hopefully they realize and don't fall victim. That's all

You're not educating anyone at all though. If you want to falsely convince people that this shoe will go down in value IF (because the BRed 1 rumor is far from confirmed at this point) there's a version of the shoe released this year, you're doing them a disservice. As has already been pointed out, recent history shows us that older versions of a shoe with little to no differentiation (sometimes even negative differentiation in the minds of many, i.e. '11 WC3's) are gaining value, not losing value upon a subsequent retro.

This shoe doesn't even apply to that equation, as it's so distinctly differentiated in terms of the shoe itself, the packaging, the history and meaning, as well as the story behind the release, that it would be immune to the same factors that would make a previous retro drop in value as more hit the market. But again, that's simply not the case right now. Beyond that though, past releases of the shoe were in much larger quantities.

We can debate this all day, but supply and demand can be measured and are a little more than my opinion. I have no interest in parting with my pairs, but I'd love to see others get pairs at a reasonable price too. I just don't see the "reasonable price" for the Banned 1's dropping if DS. It's only going to move up over time due to the economics of the situation.

Oh, and this:

Last edited:
You're not educating anyone at all though. If you want to falsely convince people that this shoe will go down in value IF (because the BRed 1 rumor is far from confirmed at this point) there's a version of the shoe released this year, you're doing them a disservice. As has already been pointed out, recent history shows us that older versions of a shoe with little to no differentiation (sometimes even negative differentiation in the minds of many, i.e. '11 WC3's) are gaining value, not losing value upon a subsequent retro.

This shoe doesn't even apply to that equation, as it's so distinctly differentiated in terms of the shoe itself, the packaging, the history and meaning, as well as the story behind the release, that it would be immune to the same factors that would make a previous retro drop in value as more hit the market. But again, that's simply not the case right now. Beyond that though, past releases of the shoe were in much larger quantities.

We can debate this all day, but supply and demand can be measured and are a little more than my opinion. I have no interest in parting with my pairs, but I'd love to see others get pairs at a reasonable price too. I just don't see the "reasonable price" for the Banned 1's dropping if DS. It's only going to move up over time due to the economics of the situation.

Oh, and this:
preach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom