Air Jordan 1 x UNION LA Thread

Never heard of Union till now. I love the 1s collab ill try to cop. There super interesting. But whenever there is hella hype on a 1 I take an L

Sean over thinking since he's never seen it, it can't be real... :smh:

Same thing with the other kid talking about,"I've never seen it on Hypebeast..." :lol:

That was Sean Wotherspoon right? I thought that was him. I was so adamant about them being fake lol. I don't know what it is but something about that dude gets on my nerves.

chris gibbs has been one of my biggest inspirations within fashion, style & business ... especially a black man with a beautiful black family doing things the way he wants to ... also to me kanye tries to dress like he does, with the la style...the layering, oversized steez.. etc ... but he does it so well, hopefully i can get a pair for the toe. btw, didn't eddie cruz go on to find undftd with james bond, after union ...if i'm not mistaken?

the jordans fit his aesthetic perfectly...
UNION-LA-Product-Highlight-ORLEY-3.jpg
Chris-OJ2.jpg
chris-gibbs-union-sons-family-portrait-1.jpg
tumblr_nuetepeKtN1qa2j8co1_1280.jpg
Chris-OJ.jpg
1-4.jpg
chris-gibbs-style.jpg

gq---tommy-tons-street-style-the-retailers--chris-gibbs-of-union-la---8.jpg

gq---tommy-tons-street-style-the-retailers--chris-gibbs-of-union-la---9.jpg

Last edited:
NT exclusive :nerd: 1 of 3

THE INSPIRATION

j.jpg

THE INSPIRATION BEHIND THE UNION AND JORDAN COLLECTION WAS REALLY “WHAT WOULD I WANT FROM JORDAN”? IN PARTICULAR I REALLY WANTED TO MAKE APPAREL AS, I FIND TOO OFTEN PEOPLE ONLY DO SHOEʼS WHEN THEY DO COLLABORATIONS LIKE THIS, BUT I FELT LIKE THIS REALLY ONLY ALLOWS ONE TO TELL HALF THE STORY AND I WANTED TO TELL THE WHOLE STORY. FURTHERMORE, I KNOW THAT BRAND JORDAN IS FIRST AND FOREMOST A SPORTS APPAREL AND FOOTWEAR COMPANY AND THEY ARE THE BEST AT THAT. BUT I FEEL LIKE THERE IS AN UNDER CURRENT, AT LEAST IN “STREETWEAR” OF PEOPLE WHO WEAR BRAND JORDAN OUTSIDE OF ITʼS INTENDED PURPOSE. MORE AS A FASHION STATEMENT AND LESS AS THE UTILITARIAN PURPOSE. ITʼS THIS SPACE THAT THE UNION COLLABORATION IS INTENDED TO OCCUPY.

IN PARTICULAR, ITʼS MY OPINION THE THERE IS AN INDELIBLE COOL. THERE ARE CERTAIN, LOOKS, DESIGNS, PRODUCTS THAT I CONSIDER TO BE TIMELESS. THE JORDAN I IN PARTICULAR IS ONE OF THE ALL TIME CLASSIC SHOE DESIGNS SO WE STARTED WITH THAT. FROM THERE WE TRIED TO THINK OF THE ULTIMATE EFFORTLESS COOL AND JUST FELT LIKE VINTAGE NEVER DIES. SO WE TRIED TO LOOK AT THE WHOLE COLLECTION THROUGH A VINTAGE LENS. WE CHOSE THE CLASSIC ICONOGRAPHY OF THE JORDAN BRAND AND MATCHED IT WITH UNION BRANDING AND THEN MADE IT LOOK WEATHERED AND WORN; VINTAGE.

WE RAN THE SNEAKER THROUGH THE SAME FILTER. WE WANTED THE SHOE TO LOOK LIKE “YOUR FAVORITE OLD PAIR OF SHOES” THAT YOU JUST CANʼT LET GO OF. WE STARTED BY GIVING THEM A VINTAGE LOOK BY YELLOWING THE SOLE AND THE LEATHER. WE THEN TOOK IT A STEP FURTHER AND STITCHED DIFFERENT UPPPERS AND LOWERS FROM DIFFERENT COLOR WAYS OF THE JORDAN IʼS TO MAKE IT LOOK AS THOUGH SOME KID MIGHT HAVE FIXED AND RESTITCHED THE SHOES THROUGHOUT THE YEARS…

FOR THE GEAR, INSTEAD OF FIXATING ON ONE YEAR, I JUST THOUGHT OF THE EARLY YEARS OF JORDAN AND TRIED TO IMAGINE IF I HAD FOUND SOME OLD VINTAGE JORDAN GEAR AT THE ROSE BOWL OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, HOW EXCITED I WOULD BE TO FIND A PERFECTLY PATINAʼD T-SHIRT OR SWEATSHIRT! WE GAVE EVERYTHING A HEAVY WASH TREATMENT TO “PATINA” THE FABRIC AS WELL AS THE GRAPHICS…

I FEEL LIKE THE WHOLE CAPSULE LOOKS AND FEELS TIMELESS AND THAT WAS WHAT WE WERE GOING FOR. EVERYTHING IS PRETTY TRUE TO SIZE, EXCEPT FOR THE SWEATPANTS WHICH ARE OVERSIZED. BUT WE DID PLAY WITH THE SILHOUETTES TO MAKE SURE EVERYTHING HAD A NATURAL “DRAPE” TO IT….

HOPE YOU LIKE IT!

CHRIS GIBBS

Last edited:
The apparel is cool but the shoes suck.

I'm not a fan of already beat sneakers. I can do that myself. What would've been better was to have the shoes weather the more you wear it. Much like how Lance Mountain 1s revealed the underside of the shoes the more you wore them or if anyone remembers Tearaway Vandals? Sean Wotherspoon did a version of that in his Bespoke pair which is much more fun. But that's just my opinion. I won't be trying for the Union 1s.

nike-sb-jordan-1-lance.jpg
imageproxy.jpg

crazy how streetwear works ...one minute your future store is owned by james jebbia & you're working for him, then down the road you own the store you used to work for & working with jordan brand creating your own shoe ...props to gibbs, i hope i can get the black pair, no i need the black pair, easily put.

Last edited:
Shoes looking kind of meh.. which is a little bit of a let down because I was around in the mid 2000's for the boutique era and am a little familiar with Union. The clothes look decent too but the shoes not so much. I'm also not too much a fan of this Frankenstein Jordan 1 theme.

I didn't like these at first but official pics got me kinda digging the black toes. I may have to try and pick these up.

Also, the apparel is fantastic. Definitely going to try to grab some of those pieces

Back
Top Bottom