Air Jordan 11 Retro "Concord" - December 8, 2018 release - $220 #45

nice pants, gentry
526af4d4-775e-4d25-8368-1c42795503c2-jpeg.2211524

you know that forward facing jumpman has him seething inside

images

Also, he had nothing to do with the design from what I read from our friend that you quoted he wanted the 45 on the 2011 version; not the original 1995 shoe.

I want blue soles on the colombia's how it was meant to be. Anyone remember when it was discussed on how to dye the outsole with RIT dye to give it that blue tint? I still remember this. If only I had the skills then what I know now, I would have done a better job lol.

I have read and watched the interviews. He always refers to "we" when talking about the shoe and how it was designed. Which is what he was supposed to do while representing them. There are several interviews and reads on Tinker as well, where he never acknowledges Gent ever as being a part of it. No one else has either. Maybe someone can ask him that in his next interview.
So Tinker didn’t lead a team? He did all of the design by himself?

I want blue soles on the colombia's how it was meant to be. Anyone remember when it was discussed on how to dye the outsole with RIT dye to give it that blue tint? I still remember this. If only I had the skills then what I know now, I would have done a better job lol.
Yeah, but some were putting too much to them. Some looked aweful. I know I would have screwed it up. But def thought about it.

Oh people forget. Those had a very light ice blue tint to them on RD.. nothing like the hard blue now but it was definitely blue out of the box.
I know, the Space jams had a slight blue tint as well in 2009. Not completely clear.

Like I said, that look on the 11 especially, when it’s new and unyellowed, look great to me. That’s just my opinion

So Tinker didn’t lead a team? He did all of the design by himself?
Yeah, he did. He may have had people around him, but he made this shoe. He took what Jordan wanted, and put it on paper. Rest is history. Unless you can show otherwise.

Gentry is a complete hack. Tinker has repeatedly says he doesn’t deal with retros and look towards the future of footwear and design.

What were MJs instructions?
His instructions were too make it look formal but yet with a casual appeal. He wanted people wearing these with suits. He pushed for several years to do this. MJ loved dress shoes because of the "shiny" leather. He always wanted that on his shoes.

Yeah, but some were putting too much to them. Some looked aweful. I know I would have screwed it up. But def thought about it.

I now know how to detach soles from newer XI's and reattach them. As much as a grail as the XI is to some, it's a shoe that can last you a VERY long time due to the nature of the midsole. It doesn't crumble, I think the durability of the XI is underrated. You can restore an OG XI for the most part as long as you have the right materials to do it with. It's amazing.

Yeah, he did. He may have had people around him, but he made this shoe. He took what Jordan wanted, and put it on paper. Rest is history. Unless you can show otherwise.
So what did Gentry do? He has been with Nike since the early 90s from what I can tell. Seems like he became an executive over design around 98/99 when Jordan brand became its own thing. What was he doing before?

There are def people on this board that complain about Blue Soles.. and they are all New NT.. Old NT begged Nike for blue soles on Foams and ESPECIALLY XI's for yearrrs because the yellowing was just unbearable. I never want to see clear soles again.. we don't need crip soles but man the blue tint is where its at.

Few years later and joints still look fresh .. that Breaking Bad blue tint is always good with me.

“To me, the secret weapon of the brand has always been MJ. We’ve been able to create some great product, but Michael has been the great validator. Being that you have someone like Michael that is not interested in being like anybody else, he actually wanted us to do patent leather on the 9. It was a little bit ahead of its time, and most of us were like, “Patent? Whoa whoa whoa…” [laughs]

“When it came to the 11, it was about, ‘How do we provide a performance product first and foremost, that allows the greatest player in the game to perform at an even higher level?’ More importantly, at that point in time, he’d been off. That was literally the first objective – build him a product that is going to allow him to play the game at another level. Coming off of that playoff series in Orlando, he was more determined than ever. We had that pressure built in.”

“You know, Tinker is always that guy who’s not afraid to push either. You got the combination of Michael wanting it, Tinker not afraid to push, me being super excited about it and a couple other guys that were with the team at the time loving what we were up to.”

I think Tinker lead a team. I emphasize lead, because he most likely came up with concepts, then that the team and MJ all helped mold shoes into the final product. Kinda like a TV Head writer and their staff writers whose names don’t appear in the credits.

Last edited:
For those of you that lucked up on the concords AND perhaps have a birthday this month and received a happy birthday promo from Nike... be sure to chat in. They're very kind about it :wink:

Woah, thanks for this! I hit up chat and they applied a 10% off code I had. It was going to expire next week, too! :pimp::pimp::pimp:

Back
Top Bottom