Air Jordan 39 (XXXIX)

If this is the only one you aren’t buying due to the cut of the shoe, then I wonder what you think the cut of pretty much every Air Jordan is. They are almost all about this same height.
Are you referring to the 3s, 4s? I look at those as more 5/8 than lows. What others are you thinking of straight up low tops?

I’m good with that. What was the point of any resemblance at all on the 38 just to not release the OG 8 cws? Total travesty. This shoe isn’t impressive but at least it’s not going to disappoint in the same way
ADVERTISEMENT​
I’m good with that. What was the point of any resemblance at all on the 38 just to not release the OG 8 cws? Total travesty. This shoe isn’t impressive but at least it’s not going to disappoint in the same way
It's got some nice little nods to the 9. The tongue material based off the circle from the heel (caught that from the first good pics, it was confirmed in the video.) The heel has air Jordan written out like the tongue on the 9s. Pattern on the medial side of the sole is from a portion off the outsole of the 9. Other observations tongue also looks like a net and has 3 X's and 9 triangles . Would like to know more about the thing on the inside of the tongue they say it's a mirror image of Jordan. Can't see that yet.

Are you referring to the 3s, 4s? I look at those as more 5/8 than lows. What others are you thinking of straight up low tops?
The 39's don't look like straight up lows to me.

Look how the Kobe 6 collar is under the ankle compared to the 39 which covers the ankle bone. That's the difference between a true low vs mid, IMO. Most, if not all standard (not low versions released after) Jordans are covering the ankle.

nike-kobe-6-protro-think-pink-cw2190-600.jpg

GLnRucjWQAAI2lA.jpg:large

The 39's don't look like straight up lows to me.

Look how the Kobe 6 collar is under the ankle compared to the 39 which covers the ankle bone. That's the difference between a true low vs mid, IMO. Most, if not all standard (not low versions released after) Jordans are covering the ankle.

nike-kobe-6-protro-think-pink-cw2190-600.jpg

GLnRucjWQAAI2lA.jpg:large
I appreciate the receipts you provided and I see your point. However these look basically like a lazier version of the 38 lows. I’d love to eventually see a side by side with those. And to be fair those Carolina 39s don’t look terrible. For $100.00 I may consider it

We need to retire “trash” as an adjective to describe sneakers. It’s lost all meaning. Good on the court but not the best looking? Trash. Beautiful but bad on the court? Trash. Look good, play good, but not as good as XYZ model? Trash. I don’t even know what the word means anymore.

37’s and 38’s weren’t my favorite, but I played in the 37 for a year now in two color wars and they were perfectly fine to me even if there are better options out there. It’s decent. Not all time great, but not trash, either.

It's this NiceKicks/Complex sneaker culture. Everything is either a grail or classic. There's no in between. A sneaker can't be not for me or just ok.

Trash hot takes is the Skip/Stephen A way.

What's trash is current sneaker culture.

Not sure as an orthotic wearer, that I can wear these. Just tried on the Zion 3's with drop in midsole like these and without the drop in midsole, it's just an outer shell, with no cushion and with the drop in midsole the orthotic doesn't fit. Same reason I sat out the Kobe 7 - 9's and the Bron 11's.

I appreciate the receipts you provided and I see your point. However these look basically like a lazier version of the 38 lows.
I wouldn't call them "lazier". I'd say "less busy", as being busy is an aesthetic criticism I had of the 38 lows. I felt they were a fussy looking shoe, especially the fundamental colorway with the black top, and numerous directional fabric patterns. If we are talking about the tech, I think they did some new and unique things on the 39. Full length Zoom X foam in a caged cup sole, and full length Zoom air combined. I think this should be a performance beast and I appreciate the minimalistic styling. If I were to criticize the styling, I'd say they should have covered the entire toe cap in the nubuck or leather. I'm not feeling that airplane shape it makes... especially on two-tone applications. Paint splotch on the side is cool, but since they basically did it on the Zion 3, they probably should have done something diferent on the flagship model.

Air-Jordan-39-Colorways.jpeg

Air-Jordan-39-Croix.jpg

Visually, I don't like the chunkiness of the midsole area, it detracts from the sleekness of the clean look they were going for, though I'm sure they're gonna be great for on-court. As for the basicness of the colorways, I'll withhold judgment until I see em in person to see if they have the premium feel a 61 yo Michael Jordan wanted to achieve.

1713668687011.jpeg

There is definitely a high fashion inspiration with the simplicity in the color ways. The 39 color ways remind me of the Rick Owens collabs with adi a few years ago.

I have to say waking up to the 39 reveal was great! I also have to say I really appreciate the direction JB went with in regard to the simple design, color ways and new tech combo, makes me super excited to get my feet in these babies! Can’t wait!

I'm all good with them, besides those very monochromatic colorways.

I want to see some nice colorways for 200$ (they gonna be 220€ or even more in Europe) and that is gonna be way too much for an basic colorway, no matter how much tech they put inside it.

Let us have some Chigagos, Olive's and True Red's and then we talking.. or something, I just don't feel like 200$/220€ is justified over a super simple colorway with three different shades of white/grey.

I like the philosophy: the supposedly premium materials, the cushioning tech, the low or 5/8ths height.
But the way these look is … underwhelming. I just don’t dig this design language or the design language loads of modern Jordan shoes are using. These don’t look bad, and the colorway with the black side and white toe is my favorite of what’s been shown.
But that pattern on the side is meh. And cotdamn, back to pull loops on top of the tongues?
The JB designers just have a different eye than I do in terms of what I might think looks amazing.
Almost certainly a pass for me, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom