Air Jordan 39 (XXXIX)

Thanks to everyone for posting pictures. It's always something I'm looking forward to yearly.

Lookwise not feeling'em at all unfortunately and I'm a bit bummed about that.

1st, they don't look like a flagship Jordan shoe to me but more like a takedown or something from another shoe company. Don't see any resemblance with the IX...disappointed a bit by that...was hoping for at least some form cues of the 9 outsole with some of MJ's accomplishments maybe.
Sick and tired of translucent outsoles, especially when they come up so high all around the shoe and they're going to turn piss yellow all over. I really dislike the aesthetics in numerous ways.

They got some kind of AJ 2010 (25), 2011 (26), 2012 (27) and 29 vibes mixed all together. I don't like it. That's the impression I'm left with so far.

In my eyes, the only positive I see for now is the choice of cushioning tech.

Unless they come up with some very clever colorway that hides most of the design cues or give if another look, I will have to pass on these. Judging by the looks only and the pics available so far I'm not inspired at all to put these on my feet and it's really an exceptionally rare thing for me.

Would have loved to like these, but they just don't make it for me.

Hoping my mind will change over time somehow.

Last edited:
I actually like the simplicity of their design, but I rarely find a signature that I don't like. However, (and I’ve said this with the past couple sigs) I have noticed that the team design concept lacks a visionary at the helm for the past couple models, and it's noticeable. Now that Mayden is at the head of things, I hope to see that improve in the future.

Visually, I don't like the chunkiness of the midsole area, it detracts from the sleekness of the clean look they were going for, though I'm sure they're gonna be great for on-court. As for the basicness of the colorways, I'll withhold judgment until I see em in person to see if they have the premium feel a 61 yo Michael Jordan wanted to achieve.
Going back to this, I think if this rubber component

ESDHdAr.png

had some variation of this pattern

BbuWFBs.png

to break up that mass, I think it would look better and more distinctive.

I like em! Major Zion 3 influence though
My first thought. And view from the top of the toe box looks like the 38. The whole "29 painted patina influence" seems dumb when that design was done on the Zion 3.

Looks more like an iteration of the 38 than a whole new shoe. Not terrible. Zion's might look better though.

I like the philosophy: the supposedly premium materials, the cushioning tech, the low or 5/8ths height.
But the way these look is … underwhelming. I just don’t dig this design language or the design language loads of modern Jordan shoes are using. These don’t look bad, and the colorway with the black side and white toe is my favorite of what’s been shown.
But that pattern on the side is meh. And cotdamn, back to pull loops on top of the tongues?
The JB designers just have a different eye than I do in terms of what I might think looks amazing.
Almost certainly a pass for me, unfortunately.
Hate the tongue pull tab. No point to them, the tongue is already a pull tab

The 9 was a “back to basics “ shoe after the fancy 8’s. I feel like these are the same thing after the 38, but they took it a step too far. Also, i see no resemblance to the 9 whatsoever.

The more I look at these, the more I’m liking them especially that university colorway. I just hope they could be breathable

Last edited:

I'll say it again: Those effing pull-loops on the tongue. I really thought after the 38 that we were finally done with this stupid played-out design element :smh:

Looks like this is 6 of the 9 pair that are releasing.

Def a playoff and white red in there.

The pair in the middle of the top row is the only one so far that could possibly even tempt me to at least order to check out in person.

Back
Top Bottom