Air Jordan 5 OG “Black Metallic” Reimagined 2025 !

I would like to preface this by saying I respect those of you who are willing to hold firm to their preferences. I'm not knocking anyone but I will say that respectfully, anybody still expecting JB to use a different 3M material on the tongue at this point are tying their shoes together and getting mad when they fall. They've been using it since 2016 and the majority of consumers do not care. It shines well, lasts a while without cracking and chipping, and it does what it's intended to do as a design choice. Jordan Brand has no reason to change it, especially when the majority of consumers don't care. This issue doesn't hold the same weight as Nike Air returning to heels and insoles of OGs after being missing for almost 20 years. I'm not a corporate shill, just being realistic about this topic.

Does that mean I don't want to see the return of the OG smooth, matte grey 3M? No. I would love it if that style of 3M returned. It looks much better. However, it's been almost 10 years since 2016 and nothing has changed. Let's say, 2030 comes and for the 40th anniversary of the Air Jordan 5, we get a Black Metallic release that has all the bells and whistles. I'm talking contrast ankle that has that slightly oily/leather-like sheen to it, clear outsole, netting that doesn't yellow so quick, improved shape and cut, better quality nu-durabuck/synthetic nubuck that Nike uses now, all topped of with reprints of Nike's 1990 Fall Collection catalog and Newsletter. The only catch is that they still use the current 3M on the tongue. Would some of you still pass? I couldn't, personally.

i dont like the toecap shape, i need that toecap and tongue from the 2000 release
but the 3M edges and NA is dope detail imo, the 2000 release is still the release with the best shape
I thought they were gonna move more towards that 2000 toe shape like they just did with the 3's and 4's but I don't know why these couldn't get that same treatment.

I would like to preface this by saying I respect those of you who are willing to hold firm to their preferences. I'm not knocking anyone but I will say that respectfully, anybody still expecting JB to use a different 3M material on the tongue at this point are tying their shoes together and getting mad when they fall. They've been using it since 2016 and the majority of consumers do not care. It shines well, lasts a while without cracking and chipping, and it does what it's intended to do as a design choice. Jordan Brand has no reason to change it, especially when the majority of consumers don't care. This issue doesn't hold the same weight as Nike Air returning to heels and insoles of OGs after being missing for almost 20 years. I'm not a corporate shill, just being realistic about this topic.

Does that mean I don't want to see the return of the OG smooth, matte grey 3M? No. I would love it if that style of 3M returned. It looks much better. However, it's been almost 10 years since 2016 and nothing has changed. Let's say, 2030 comes and for the 40th anniversary of the Air Jordan 5, we get a Black Metallic release that has all the bells and whistles. I'm talking contrast ankle that has that slightly oily/leather-like sheen to it, clear outsole, netting that doesn't yellow so quick, improved shape and cut, better quality nu-durabuck/synthetic nubuck that Nike uses now, all topped of with reprints of Nike's 1990 Fall Collection catalog and Newsletter. The only catch is that they still use the current 3M on the tongue. Would some of you still pass? I couldn't, personally.

I will still pass.

They've actually been using the same tongues way before 2016. Think mid 2000s era.

I'll bring in an example of the AJ 11. High patent leather cut was traditionally on the OG then went away when they retroed in the 2000s and a lower cut of patent leather was used. When JB went back to the high patent leather cut on the 11 some years ago, many were up in arms about it. I'm sure a lot of folks still prefer the lower cut because that's what they've always known. I don't see a problem with JB trying to get their sneakers correct and it shouldn't have to wait until 2030 when retail prices normalize to $275-$300 a pop.

I will still pass.

They've actually been using the same tongues way before 2016. Think mid 2000s era.

I'll bring in an example of the AJ 11. High patent leather cut was traditionally on the OG then went away when they retroed in the 2000s and a lower cut of patent leather was used. When JB went back to the high patent leather cut on the 11 some years ago, many were up in arms about it. I'm sure a lot of folks still prefer the lower cut because that's what they've always known. I don't see a problem with JB trying to get their sneakers correct and it shouldn't have to wait until 2030 when retail prices normalize to $275-$300 a pop.
Understandable. I don't think it's a bad thing either that people are asking for Jordan Brand to change the 3M. I believe all criticisms that are posted on this site stem from a place of true passion and love for these shoes and a desire for them to look like their original counterparts. Granted, some complaints are quite excessive, like the speckle density nonsense from years ago, but still. I see nothing wrong with people wanting JB correct the flaws in the current retros. I hope my post did not come across that way.

The changes that have been made to the OG retros as of late have been great. They're all getting to a point that they should have been at years ago. Some still leave a bit to be desired (5s need less bulbous collar, 6s need a higher tongue, etc) but the changes have been solid thus far. I just feel like passing on a [hypothetical] near perfect Metallic or Fire Red release because the 3M tongue isn't like it used to be is unfortunate. Perhaps even a little sad to me since it sucks seeing fellow enthusiasts pass on colorways they love due to an issue that there's no guarantee will ever get fixed, but at the same time we had no guarantee we'd see the Nike Air return on the 3 thru 6, among other changes yet here we are. So anything is possible I guess. I just hope JB addresses this issue sooner than later.

1725036154449.png
This is what everyone wants?

“They look much better in these pics. I’ll probably end up copping a pair. I just won’t wear them at night because that 3M is overkill” - 1 month from now.

“I was gonna pass, but my girl managed to hit on SNKRS and got these for me for Valentine’s Day. A nice consolation prize since we struck out on the Black/Red 1s” - February 15, 2025

I’m indifferent towards the 23 on the heel, except maybe on black tongues since those always had it.

The more I look at these the more I like them tbh, but I’ve always loved this shoe in general and I missed out in 2016 so these are a must for me.

The “horrible” font is the actual B52 bomber font which is the inspiration of the shoe. It belongs on there, even if the stitching on past retros has been meh. Anyone saying it doesn’t misses the entire point.
What are you talking about? The original font used on MJ’s PEs has never been used on a retro of this shoe. Also, I’m pretty sure Tinker has explained the inspiration was seeing MJ floating around the perimeter of the game waiting to strike like a fighter pilot. If there’s a quote I’m forgetting where he said it was a B52, I’m happy to stand corrected. Regardless, people want and prefer that OG PE 23 font.

The “horrible” font is the actual B52 bomber font which is the inspiration of the shoe. It belongs on there, even if the stitching on past retros has been meh. Anyone saying it doesn’t misses the entire point.
If it “belongs there” then why wasn’t it on the OG?

Back
Top Bottom