Air Jordan IV “Black/Cement” - May 4th 2019

B7A7AC7F-680E-465B-806B-3E14076A024D.png

F2D0877D-4AAC-47E6-AA5E-E59011AB511C.png

1043347C-CF7C-423A-A298-6D247FFABB56.png

Does anyone have any factual reasoning on why Nike/JB has been doing this banana shape on retro sneakers? Across many retros this trash shape is what we have received since after the 2000s.

Does anyone have any factual reasoning on why Nike/JB has been doing this banana shape on retro sneakers? Across many retros this trash shape is what we have received since after the 2000s.

No idea, because I just saw the official pics for the mid cut Fear of God Nikes and that toe box is flawless. So a designer can get it all the way correct, but Nike can't. Does not compute to me.

To be honest to save money.... Nike released a story a while back in the early 2000’s saying they lost the original Molds to a lot of their Jordan signature sneakers ironically around the same time the Nike sweat shop information hit the news outlet. From a management aspect nike was able to pay for dirt cheap labor and have underage workers working 18 hours a day to make sneakers then put more money into material/quality assurance. Now JB is more focused on the bottom line after Labor and material cost. We get jacked up retros because it may take 45 minutes to complete a pair of 4s in the current mold as it might have took 2 hours to make the 99s which the labor was probably 4 cents an hour as opposed to $10 now

I think it costs more than that to remold the shoe of you go thru one of those customizers. It’s almost like paying for another shoe plus more

7011AD95-B148-4BA0-AFBF-36E5DC9C52A1.jpeg
AD1ADF34-4EE1-4924-B4A3-23DB6A8B6E22.jpeg

Theres ig shoe customizers that have been able to replicate/rebuild OGs true to form. It can’t be THAT much most costly or hard to obtain those remade molds.

And people would gladly drop an extra $20-$30 to get the original mold
Its easier to come up with a brand new design than to replicate. The bottom picture is the mold that Travis release used. Then a lot of time and effort is taken to shape the shoe to fit the sole and then sewn on the Nike symbol (close to 3 hours of labor altogether). Nike doesn’t want to put the effort in making tons of molds just to get the shape right. Raising the patent leather on the 11s was the most basic mold retooling possible and it took them close to 12 years to raise a line on their machine:lol: Nike could raise every line in the 4s coming out to get it more like the OGs but to get the lines exactly precise is going to take more effort than what Nike is used to

Attachments

• DA6C94C7-450F-4E2F-8A46-6E4D782A6117.jpeg
    DA6C94C7-450F-4E2F-8A46-6E4D782A6117.jpeg
    423.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Not crazy about those pics at all. Looking like a 1 and done copp for me. Like can the banana shape be any more pronounced? Geez. We’ll see..

I mean I had a pair of fakes back in 2004 that perfectly replicated the toe box, height and materials. They weren’t terribly comfortable but they looked spot on. So there’s no way Nike couldn’t figure this out.

Theres ig shoe customizers that have been able to replicate/rebuild OGs true to form. It can’t be THAT much most costly or hard to obtain those remade molds.

And people would gladly drop an extra $20-$30 to get the original mold
Speak for yourself, I’m not down to pay 250 for the same shoe i bought for 99.99 in ‘99. The current retail is high enough for them to get it right. They proved on the XI’s they can mass produce pairs and make them accurately if they feel like it.

Nyyyyyyce!!!!!!!
I agree, If this is the best we are going to get, I am down with it. At least they are making an effort in listening to what we want. It may not be perfect, but we wanted OG branding and they came out with the 88's and started the OG program brinking back Nike Air which some thought would never happen again. We wanted higher PL on XI's and the Jumpman facing the correct way on Space Jams/Concords and soon playoffs, they gave us that. They did justice to color and shape (IMO) on the 6's, which was never one of my fave shoes in the past , but in hand and on foot are one of the best retros made in looks and comfort. And for this release it looks like they attempted to raise the height and used good materials. (Yes the toe could be better and the back tab could be closer to the original, but this shoe to me is about memories and the joy it brought me to be able to own my first pair of Jordans. I remember getting them home and putting them on and going out back to my hoop that was on my shed. It was like an 8ft rim and I was in 9th grade , and i remember dunking so easy, I truly thought I jumped higher lol. I was wearing the same shoe that my favorite player wore. The first pair I ever saw was the White Cement 3's in high school on a kid walking in the halls. I couldn't believe how different and awesome those shoes were. And then when I saw the BCIV's on MJ's feet at the All Star Game and then on the commercials, it was love at first sight. So to be able to own that pair (5 pairs no matter what) again is just amazing to me. I truly am going to wear 3 pairs in rotation to make sure they stay wearable for a long time. I assume they will be reretroed again, but you never know and i am not going to take that chance.

During the timeout, Mike slapped away Doug Collins' clipboard and said, "Give me the @$#%^& ball!!" :lol::pimp:
Loved how the crowd went dead quiet, easily one of the greatest shots in NBA history, Game 5 do or die , miss and they go home, make and they move on. Amazing. I remember when this game was on, it was a Sunday and I was in North Carolina at my Grandparents house, we were coming back, and the VCR we had did not have a timer to be able to record at a specific time so i couldnt tape it. I had to wait until the CNN Headline sports to see the game winner, and man was i pumped. He hit the winning shot in my SHOES!!!! It truly was an awesome feeling

Back
Top Bottom