[..::Air Jordan Retro X White / Black – Light Steel Grey "Steel" 10/12/2013 - $170::..]

Will You Be Picking These Up?

• Yup

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I don't disagree with any of that except that it wasn't the full production run. There were OG Steels that did not have the cap. But all of the GS Steels did have the cap.

I think your getting the facts a little mixed up on this...

Likely what your thinking about is an article that quoted Tinker Hatfield as saying they changed the toe cap thing during "mid-production"...That didn't mean the production of the Steel X's but the X's in general (I.E. All color ways)...I'm trying to find the article...

Steel X's were the first release of the model...Shadow X's came next...Sometime in between the completion of the production run for the Steel's and the early production of the Shadow's MJ informed everybody that he would be coming back and while he didn't like the model in general he really hated the toe cap...This is the reason there are early production pairs of Shadow's actually have the leather toe cap...Original release Steel's ALL had a toe cap (GS, Adult etc...)...I can't recall ever seeing anything to prove otherwise...

In fact considering the setup Nike used to have with regards to releases you could say that the Steel X's were arguably one of the first, if not the first limited release Jordan shoe...Followed shortly by the regional releases of the "City" series X's...

All that being said I'd be thrilled if you could provide a picture, an article of some sort, or even an old foreign sneaker book that showed the original Steel's as to having a plain toe...I like to think I'm pretty well versed as far as the history of Jordan's go so giving me something else to look for would be welcome at this point...You've got me interested...

I'm not getting anything wrong at all. If you don't think there were released pairs of OG Steel X without the toecap, you're simply wrong. A quick google search confirms dozens of photos of OG Steel X without the toecap as well. They did release without the toecap, though no GS sizes ever released without it.

I'm not getting anything wrong at all. If you don't think there were released pairs of OG Steel X without the toecap, you're simply wrong. A quick google search confirms dozens of photos of OG Steel X without the toecap as well. They did release without the toecap, though no GS sizes ever released without it.

Fair enough...Agree to disagree...

Here is an old NT thread that I just found though, discussing the same thing...http://niketalk.com/t/318018/where-are-the-og-x-white-black-steel-greys-with-the-clean-toe

Also please post some of these pics because now I'm very interested...

I may have to eat crow on this and retract my previous statement, as it would appear some of these photos that turrrrble sneaker sites are using for the OG's are actually 2005 pairs. I could swear that there were two runs of the Steel X's though, as my coach had the same pair as I did in men's sizes but without the toe cap.

Anyway, doesn't really matter, these are a must cop for me (even with the 2005's in my closet). :smokin

I was gonna pass on these cuz I thought the black/white gloves were coming out a week before these but now I hear the white ones r coming out 1st and they suck so hello steel x's

OG Steels only came with the toe cap. I've seen thousands of pairs and never seen a pair without it. A handful of spots got toe cap Shadows but not many, everything else from that point on didn't have the cap.

The only thing I hate about steel retroes is the fact that they don't have the toe cap, but I'm not passing on these again.

Wrong...What Firepower said is correct...The original Steel Grey X's only ever had the toe cap...Never had a plain toe for the original's...

Have to keep in mind that MJ never had any input on the design of the X's...Mike's retirement, combined with the abysmal sales figures for the initial "retro" run all indicated that the "Jordan" label was no longer going to be lucrative for Nike...Tinker was advised to let the line die and move on to other things...He designed the X simply as a tribute shoe...

Remember the original Steel Gray X's started hitting stores in November 94', a full 4 months before MJ even started playing Basketball again, and who knows how long before MJ started letting everybody know that he was coming back...The production run of the Steel Gray's were already finished and shipped to retailers by that point...They were able to stop the production run for the Shadow X's, which were the second color way to be released, and the toe cap was subsequently removed on this and all future color ways...

Dude....there was a tv show where tinker and mj were talking about air jordans and they were talking about it. Tinker didnt involved MJ during the design process and when tinker visited him with the X MJ immediately confronted him that he disliked thecttoe cap much because he prefers a plain and smoother look at the toe area. Tinker then was like omg...have to change it for the remaining pairs / colorways.

Wrong...What Firepower said is correct...The original Steel Grey X's only ever had the toe cap...Never had a plain toe for the original's...

Have to keep in mind that MJ never had any input on the design of the X's...Mike's retirement, combined with the abysmal sales figures for the initial "retro" run all indicated that the "Jordan" label was no longer going to be lucrative for Nike...Tinker was advised to let the line die and move on to other things...He designed the X simply as a tribute shoe...

Remember the original Steel Gray X's started hitting stores in November 94', a full 4 months before MJ even started playing Basketball again, and who knows how long before MJ started letting everybody know that he was coming back...The production run of the Steel Gray's were already finished and shipped to retailers by that point...They were able to stop the production run for the Shadow X's, which were the second color way to be released, and the toe cap was subsequently removed on this and all future color ways...

Dude....there was a tv show where tinker and mj were talking about air jordans and they were talking about it. Tinker didnt involved MJ during the design process and when tinker visited him with the X MJ immediately confronted him that he disliked thecttoe cap much because he prefers a plain and smoother look at the toe area. Tinker then was like omg...have to change it for the remaining pairs / colorways.

Yeah that did happen. After that they put the clean toe cap X into production after the 1st wave of toe capped X's.

To say jordan can't dress everyone was worried about what jordan thought about the design of the shoes.

I may be in the minority here but shadows have never done anything for me. There are plenty of 10 colorways I would want to retro before those without the 23

Yeah that did happen. After that they put the clean toe cap X into production after the 1st wave of toe capped X's.
I have to co-sign here. There were OG's without the toecap.

Funny thing is I didn't know the OG originally had toecaps till the age of variants/internet

I'll pass if it releases with the toe cap

-edit- I see no toe cap, and I like the red jumpman instead of the blue....i'm in

Last edited:
as long as its steels then im happy, 99% sure these will be my last jordans. dont care for the XI's releasing unless something comes out that looks good but chances of that happening? 0.001%
this!!

with my luck on ndc ftl i just bit the bullet and did a preorder on CS 239 shipped is a bit much but i figure normal resell has been around the 220 mark. this is my all time favorite pair ill be damned if i miss this. copping oreo 5's and im done for the year

They look better with the toe cap IMO

my man :smokin

hell to the yea they do....damn brings back memories

and yea i never seen a steel x without the toe cap back in the 90's back in the day...

was dissapointed to not see it on the retro but i bought anyways cuz i loved the shoe that much...

got my pair at copeland sports for 125.... RIP copeland sports :lol:

i think the other colorways are fine with no toe cap because the all black midsole goes well with it...

Back
Top Bottom