Air Jordan V 5 Retro Fire Red "Black Tongue" 8/31

I love this colorway of the V's...one of my all-time fav. J's but I just can't pay Jordan Brand for that kind of quality.

I always hear people *****ing about quality, but they keep on buying....:smh:

Only shoe I've bought this year has been the 88' III's...

I mean, look at the leather on these....it looks and feels like PLASTIC....same w/the recent Grape V's & white/red V's from earlier this year...:smh:

So instead of buying all of these new releases, I've been actually finding OG's & earlier retros that I previously missed out on in great condition for decent prices.

Instead of paying almost $200 for these, I'd rather just go find a pair of 99' white/red V's for around $350.

Quality over quantity.

/rant.

I love this colorway of the V's...one of my all-time fav. J's but I just can't pay Jordan Brand for that kind of quality.

I always hear people *****ing about quality, but they keep on buying....
mean.gif

I mean, look at the leather on these....it looks and feels like PLASTIC....same w/the recent Grape V's & white/red V's from earlier this year...
mean.gif

So instead of buying all of these new releases, I've been actually finding OG's & earlier retros that I previously missed out on in great condition for decent prices.

Instead of paying almost $200 for these, I'd rather just go find a pair of 99' white/red V's for around $350.

Quality over quantity.

/rant.
You need to be careful when buying these older J's though.  The paint can chip and the sneakers can fall apart or crumble down to nothing.  But I'm sure you know this since being an NT member since 2001 or earlier.

I pretty much agree with passing on these lower quality J's but this has been discussed at length in this thread already.  There is a good portion of people that don't mind the quality of pleather or w.e it is and still are excited to cop.  All I know is if they had put some serious quality leather on these puppies, I would be ALL over them.

An alternative to buying older J's that may crumble on you is to just see what other brands are putting out.  Reebok and Fila are putting out very nice quality sneakers right now and some of them are retros.  For instance the quality on my Fila Olympic 96's is great!  I was talking to DreDayCoop and he said the quality on his ASG Fila 96's might even be better than the Olympics!  Also my Reebok Shaq Attaq's the quality of leather is awesome!  The one's coming out this Friday (black/blue), the quality looks very nice!

Then you got Asics and New Balance and all kinds of other sneaker brands that are putting very nice quality into some and/or most of their kicks releasing right now.

Some people just hype over JB and laugh at any other brand.  I see it all the time.  Even in the NT forums.  People be like, "I don't fck wit Reebok."  Or they will say, "Fila? lol no one wears that crap!"  These same people end up selling their J's after 1 or 2 wears because the quality is piss poor.

Some people just hype over JB and laugh at any other brand.  I see it all the time.  Even in the NT forums.  People be like, "I don't fck wit Reebok."  Or they will say, "Fila? lol no one wears that crap!"  These same people end up selling their J's after 1 or 2 wears because the quality is piss poor.
Im sure no one will agree with me but over the past 2 years i havent had one complaint with any JB purchase i have made quality wise. lil glue here or there doesnt make or break me and i wont fuss about it. Leather quality it is what it is. No point in b**** n moanin about it when they arent gonna change it.

i agree with you that other brands are putting out better materials though. other than concepts x asics 3 lies lol that was a joke i had no interest in those. but Fila i can remember getting those f-13s in high school i loved em. Reebok has been on point with my kamikaze purchases, lookin to cop my first cpl pairs of asics in sept and oct

Im sure no one will agree with me but over the past 2 years i havent had one complaint with any JB purchase i have made quality wise. lil glue here or there doesnt make or break me and i wont fuss about it. Leather quality it is what it is. No point in b**** n moanin about it when they arent gonna change it.

i agree with you that other brands are putting out better materials though. other than concepts x asics 3 lies lol that was a joke i had no interest in those. but Fila i can remember getting those f-13s in high school i loved em. Reebok has been on point with my kamikaze purchases, lookin to cop my first cpl pairs of asics in sept and oct
When I say quality (and I assume when most say quality) I mean the quality of the materials (leather, padding, etc).  I don't mean how well the shoe was put together, glued together, stitched together,etc.  I agree my JB cops haven't really had issues with how they were put together this year.  No real complaints.

For me, leather quality and the amount of padding inside the sneaker is important.

Last edited:

I mean, look at the leather on these....it looks and feels like PLASTIC....same w/the recent Grape V's & white/red V's from earlier this year...:smh:

Quality over quantity.

/rant.

Main reason why I don't have any of the recent retro 11's

Quality over quantity.

/rant.

Agreed. The leather on these is boo boo..
Gotta pass.

Them Laney Vs are looking awesome though..

Why do people feel the need to compare tumbled leather to any other leather. Your comparing apples and oranges. Plus all the leather talk gets annoying if your a casual wearer why complain

There's nothing wrong with the leather on the Grapes and there's nothing wrong with the leather on these IMO, people just like to complain. All you leather experts can pass on these. I'll be happy with my pair with the stiff leather. :D

There's nothing wrong with the leather on the Grapes and there's nothing wrong with the leather on these IMO, people just like to complain. All you leather experts can pass on these. I'll be happy with my pair with the stiff leather. :D
Yeah I like that stiff and shiny leather! :D I hope the leather is so shiny that it looks like some patent leather!

I just dont whats wrong with the leather on these? And yall say the laneys leather is better but in reality all u see s pics so u dnt know how that leather isband the only difference is they have tumbled but what makes the quality of the leather any different?

Gotta a complaint dont buy and boycott JB .. easy

just moved to this area in the boonies of MD and been driving to 2 hours for releases

today i found out theres a hibbett sports 3 mins from my place and theyre releasing the 5s 
laugh.gif

It's funny how everybody talks so highly of the stiff leather they used on the white cement 4's last year compared to the "terrible" soft leather on the fire red 4's :lol:

Now everybody is complaining about the stiff leather on the 5's :rofl:

Oh and btw for people preferring the 06 fire red 5's I'll leave this picture here and show u how terrible the leather was (worn 3 times)... Hell they creased the first time I tried them on without walking :smh:

ca7c65c3_102_1797.jpeg

:x :x :x :x
8233eeb6_102_1798.jpeg

Last edited:
Those back creases are nasty lol but I loved the white cement leather and that midsole doesn't crack but I have no prob with the stiff leather (pause) but your right the change of tide is funny. Good thing I always said the stiff leather wasn't a prob to me

I ended up selling my 2006's when I first got them and buying a pair half a size down. Going down helped eliminate a lot of creasing issues with the 2006's. The lace lock allows me to go without tying them so they're still not tight.

It's funny how everybody talks so highly of the stiff leather they used on the white cement 4's last year compared to the "terrible" soft leather on the fire red 4's :lol:

Now everybody is complaining about the stiff leather on the 5's :rofl:

Oh and btw for people preferring the 06 fire red 5's I'll leave this picture here and show u how terrible the leather was (worn 3 times)... Hell they creased the first time I tried them on without walking :smh:

I was just cleaning my 2012 FR 4s last night, trying to figure out what everyone was complaining about. I really like the leather on those... Having said that, that is truly some horrendous creasing on the back of those FR5s.

Javier

Has anyone tried a leather softner on the recent V releases? I'm tempted to do so but keep on forgetting to pick it up.

^
the kind i have is eggshell colored so it may discolor or yellow a fresh (white) retro 5 upper
also, the new retros have a hard fibrous endoskeleton that probably wouldn't softed even the pleather on top does
& the pleather has a clear coat...that's why they almost feel like plastic steel-toes

maybe it would help tho...i dunno...

my 2 cents

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom