Air Jordan V retro OG - Nike Air - Fire Red/Silver tongue - May 2, 2020

The only complaint that I really even have on these is the ankle collar.. I wish they’d slim it down a little closer to OG pairs. I guarantee those were comfier like that, people with the OffWhite 5s I bet would say it’s better that way.

The 1990 ankle collar is nothing like what’s been on every retro. I don’t mind the ankle pods I just wish they trimmed it all down.

Yes the last metallic retro was especially the example of what you refer to :lol:

aj52.png

aj5.png

The new tongue bothers me 10x more than the ankle pods. It's the only thing I truly dislike about the 2020 Fire Reds. It was crap on the 2016 Metallics as well.

The only complaint that I really even have on these is the ankle collar.. I wish they’d slim it down a little closer to OG pairs. I guarantee those were comfier like that, people with the OffWhite 5s I bet would say it’s better that way.

The 1990 ankle collar is nothing like what’s been on every retro. I don’t mind the ankle pods I just wish they trimmed it all down.
I agree and I think you're right.

The explanation is that there were some things that Tinker wanted to do back in the 80s but these things weren't possible because of technological limitations at the time. Examples:

---the elephant print on the 3s being bigger, so they made it bigger on the retros
---the huge ankle pods on the 5s
---the all-over 3m on the Green Bean 5s

I've read these explanations here on NT, never really seen them in any official Jordan/Nike documents.

The explanation is that there were some things that Tinker wanted to do back in the 80s but these things weren't possible because of technological limitations at the time. Examples:

---the elephant print on the 3s being bigger, so they made it bigger on the retros

I've read these explanations here on NT, never really seen them in any official Jordan/Nike documents.

Bigger EP on the 3s? I don't buy it. That's they were designed; I doubt making them bigger/wider required any technology. He was going for the sleek look that the retros lost. Probably easier to keep it wider in fact.

The only one of those three things you mentioned that I am 99 percent sure I've read Tinker actually mention is the all-over 3M on the Vs. The others seem like pure speculation. The one about wanting to make the ankle pods more pronounced seems plausible, at least. Never seen any previous mention about the elephant print, though.

If retros were changed based on Tinker's preferences from back then, Nike would have explained that in their marketing. They've never said a word (that I've seen) and all marketing and "remastering" wording have only really alluded to the myth that these are close to exact copies of the originals. And that's half the reason we clown on them.

If retros were changed based on Tinker's preferences from back then, Nike would have explained that in their marketing. They've never said a word (that I've seen) and all marketing and "remastering" wording have only really alluded to the myth that these are close to exact copies of the originals. And that's half the reason we clown on them.
You’re sure right about that. They never should’ve gone down the road of making stupid changes in the first place.

I originally ended up with 3 pairs of these and used em to match up 2 perfect pairs and then I sold the flawed pair. Let em go for a smidgen over retail because there was a small knick in leather on one of the ankle pods. Good times. Hope the Black Tongues and Grapes are equally easy to get whenever they come back.

I bought 13 pairs. 12.5 and a couple 13s. At the age of 47 my foot has grown a half a size. I’ve since sold all my 12.5s and replaced several with 13s. I’m currently at 7 size 13s. All time favorite Jordan that I remember staring at during math class in high school.

0A60677A-A5AF-45E8-A0D8-E883A481BEF3.jpeg
58F04B6A-082E-49C0-8855-E5FD0EADA5D2.jpeg

I bought 13 pairs. 12.5 and a couple 13s. At the age of 47 my foot has grown a half a size. I’ve since sold all my 12.5s and replaced several with 13s. I’m currently at 7 size 13s. All time favorite Jordan that I remember staring at during math class in high school.

0A60677A-A5AF-45E8-A0D8-E883A481BEF3.jpeg
58F04B6A-082E-49C0-8855-E5FD0EADA5D2.jpeg

Damn, you the real mvp baby

This model and color way is the third pair of air Jordans that I ever owned back in 90. One of the most elegant and underrated designs of all time, just absolutely gorgeous in my amateur eyes.

Last edited:
Damn, you the real mvp baby

This model and color way is the third pair of air Jordans that I ever owned back in 90. One of the most elegant and underrated designs of all time, just absolutely gorgeous in my amateur eyes.
These were the second Jordan I ever got and the first one I got when they were still “new.” I got the Fire Red IVs for Xmas ‘89, eighth grade. I didn’t know at the time that a new Jordan came out every year around All-Star time. So I was way late on those IVs. Once I was clued in on it—I had just gotten into playing bball and into the Bulls and the shoes and the whole culture—I remember being so psyched to watch All-Star Saturday night and waiting for the new commercial to drop. When it finally came on, I was like whoa look at THOSE! 🤣
I recorded the broadcast on the VCR and would go back and pause every shot of the shoes, trying to see every detail. And when I saw the clear sole with the Jumpman beneath it in person, my mind was freaking blown. The times were so different but in some ways more fun than today.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom