Air Jordan V retro OG - Nike Air - Fire Red/Silver tongue - May 2, 2020

its not false

the 2020 quite clearly has the bulkiest toebox/rand, the harshest curved heel, and the shape along the top of the collar is just.. not even close. it also retains the super defined "bubbles" at the top of the collar that the 2000 introduced, instead of the more subtle ones on the OG. add in the shiny textured tongue, and there were zero attempts to improve anything in the 4 years since the black metallics. these are the same bulky moon boots. thats what my eyes see, what do yours see?

Are those official pics of the 2020’s? They look bulkier there than they do in the videos posted, but you’re right about the bubbles and how shiny the materials are. There’s something else that makes them look off that I’m not sure what it is. Probably how slanted the back is and the shape of the netting looks off.

I like how they did the rigid stitching to the Nike Air heel matching the 90s look. They did fine on these overall. At this point Im not contemplating reasons not to get them. Just waiting for the release.
I definitely am not looking for reasons not to get them. I'm getting them. But there's no denying that the tongue and shape of the collar are suspect. Those are really my only complaints. The shiny leather (though we'll have to see how it really looks in person) and the stupid over-pronounced ankle bulges, I can totally get over. Just confused as to why the geometry of the collar is SO off, and why they can't get the damn tongue right. I have my '07 black/metallics here and if they had that exact tongue just raised by half an inch or so, they would be perfect in my eyes. As usual, it's always something nonsensical with these guys LOL

Collar?

Look at the toe rand. Thats by far the most off thing on them

What grinds my gears is the metallic 5 has the rand right but the toe is boot cut. The fire red is slimmer but with a boot cut toe rand.

Gennntryyyyy!!!

Collar?

Look at the toe rand. Thats by far the most off thing on them

What grinds my gears is the metallic 5 has the rand right but the toe is boot cut. The fire red is slimmer but with a boot cut toe rand.

Gennntryyyyy!!!
Man, yeah, there are several problems. I'm trying not to hate too much given the context. We all have been complaining about toes forever, so at this point that doesn't shock me. At least I could take the good old iron to the toes if I wanted to. The collar, though ... it's bizarrely off geometrically, especially when you see those pseudo side-by-side images of it compared to previous versions. And there's no way to fix it. From the straight-on profile view, you should be able to see the back line of it with the red liner showing from the side. So I don't know what the hell this is. It's silly unnecessary .
If I didn't have $270 in Nike gift cards loaded onto SNKRS for these, I might very well skip it. If I miss on the app somehow whenever these release, I will probably re-evaluate.
Looking at what's on the calendar for this year--barring any surprise updates--there's nothing coming out for the remainder of 2020 I want that bad, Nike or Jordan. Tempts me into just buying some Off White Vs for the high-$600s they are now going for in my size, and call it a year. Probably not doing it, but it IS tempting LOL

Man, yeah, there are several problems. I'm trying not to hate too much given the context. We all have been complaining about toes forever, so at this point that doesn't shock me. At least I could take the good old iron to the toes if I wanted to. The collar, though ... it's bizarrely off geometrically, especially when you see those pseudo side-by-side images of it compared to previous versions. And there's no way to fix it. From the straight-on profile view, you should be able to see the back line of it with the red liner showing from the side. So I don't know what the hell this is. It's silly unnecessary .
If I didn't have $270 in Nike gift cards loaded onto SNKRS for these, I might very well skip it. If I miss on the app somehow whenever these release, I will probably re-evaluate.
Looking at what's on the calendar for this year--barring any surprise updates--there's nothing coming out for the remainder of 2020 I want that bad, Nike or Jordan. Tempts me into just buying some Off White Vs for the high-$600s they are now going for in my size, and call it a year. Probably not doing it, but it IS tempting LOL
They jacked them up. I’m pissed, but I have to cop one pair. I don’t have the time anymore for them to get them right. I hate Gentry with a passion. JB refuses to give us the proper 5. Jerks.

They jacked them up. I’m pissed, but I have to cop one pair. I don’t have the time anymore for them to get them right. I hate Gentry with a passion. JB refuses to give us the proper 5. Jerks.
You and me both, as you well know :lol:
As I said in my post before the one you quoted, I'll just enjoy them for the nostalgia I'll get. Literally been 30 years almost to the day since I got my OG pair in 8th grade. Which is unbelievable in itself. Once I have them, I know I'll think it's cool. But it sucks we're not pissing ourselves over these. :smh:

You and me both, as you well know :lol:
As I said in my post before the one you quoted, I'll just enjoy them for the nostalgia I'll get. Literally been 30 years almost to the day since I got my OG pair in 8th grade. Which is unbelievable in itself. Once I have them, I know I'll think it's cool. But it sucks we're not pissing ourselves over these. :smh:
It does indeed suck. If they got them right I’d be pissing myself so much that I’d turn the sole yellow on release day. :lol:

The netting on the metallic 5 pisses me off. Like, its clear on the tongue but more translucent/cloudy on the sides. I wish the whole thing was clear like the tongue. The way its supposed to be.

As far as the whites go, it looks cool as a shoe but its far from what its supposed to be. Id be happy with it if i didnt know what the og looked like. Im prob not copping tho but who knows. Im starting to embrace white kicks again

1584525364689.jpeg

1584525485496.jpeg

All this talk about collar shape, im starting to wonder if Tinker put ‘mj’ in the cut after staring at them for a minute

In fact, ive been having a suspicion that all of the classic Tinker jordans are low key designed around his initials. How cheesedicc would that be? lol

*edit* i just realized the Zions im designing are based around his initials lol im an ***. Tinker you sunuva *****. Always a step ahead.

Last edited:
If the 'New Beginnings' Jordan 1's are any sign, I'm wondering if JB will eventually get around to doing near 1:1 OG retros for the rest of the main line. I feel they will as they'll be able to, for example, fix the shape on these giving them a more aerodynamic look like the 1990 release such as the slanted toe, smoother and less pronounced ankle collar, proper tongue height and material maybe (current isn't an issue for me though), etc. Would help them justify a bs price hike too. :lol:

Last edited:
The netting on the metallic 5 pisses me off. Like, its clear on the tongue but more translucent/cloudy on the sides. I wish the whole thing was clear like the tongue. The way its supposed to be.

As far as the whites go, it looks cool as a shoe but its far from what its supposed to be. Id be happy with it if i didnt know what the og looked like. Im prob not copping tho but who knows. Im starting to embrace white kicks again
Exactly my feelings.

Nike low key restocking pairs and dropping new stuff yesterday...Wouldn’t be surprised if these hit sooner rather than later...

Noticed that too.. They restocked stuff like 2 days in a row.BTW.. I won't be going on my trip anymore with this whole virus thing lol so I should be okay to get them. Thanks though fam! :nthat:

Back
Top Bottom