Air Jordan XX8 aka 2013, new "Proplate Zoom" Technology OFFICIAL THREAD.

Where the heck are the black/lime XX8's? And when you do find them, why are they like $450? Why do I see no one wearing this shoe, but they always sell out? :smh: :smh: :smh:

Where the heck are the black/lime XX8's? And when you do find them, why are they like $450? Why do I see no one wearing this shoe, but they always sell out? :smh: :smh: :smh:

I think that was the first colorway to release. Westbrook wore them. Not sure if that is part of the reason. As for not seeing people wear them, I've actually not seen anyone where any colorway, althought I don't really ball anymore. Sounds like enough people ball in them based on this thread, but not sure casually.

Whelp. It happened to me after only four two-hour ball sessions. My XX8's forefoot zoom bag popped today. Very sad, and disappointed. This is a big issue. I had only EVER worn these inside on clean courts. It literally took eight hours for them to blow. Lame.

Whelp. It happened to me after only four two-hour ball sessions. My XX8's forefoot zoom bag popped today. Very sad, and disappointed. This is a big issue. I had only EVER worn these inside on clean courts. It literally took eight hours for them to blow. Lame.

Literally my exact situation. Indoors only not many pickup games and popped zoom air. Frustrating because they aren't replaceable and Nike doesn't seem to care.

got 10 pair of the XX8 and have worn each at least 4+ hours of rec ball and / or ref youth hoops

and have had NO ISSUES
For a 250 shoe I want it to last ALOT more than 4 hrs. 

But what can we expect from new technology there are always going to be faults. I bought a pair for my brother in September hasn't worn them little big for him, I PRAY they hold up so he can ball in them for at least a whole season

But what can we expect from new technology there are always going to be faults. I bought a pair for my brother in September hasn't worn them little big for him, I PRAY they hold up so he can ball in them for at least a whole season

I think the design flaw is due to the unlocked zoom cushion and the thin sole.they sacrificed the durability for lightweight.
If the xx9 will be similar in sole design i will not buy, no matter how they look like.

appears my post was unclear...

i have worn all my pairs several times, for several hours each, and have had none of the problems described here ?

they DO last a lot more than 4 hrs

and IMO 

WORTH EVERY CENT

still not sure why they didn't release SEVERAL of the CWs that they released pixs of and no iD offered ?

appears there are more issues with the SEs too

now just waitin on the XX9s

fingers crossed 

Last edited:
It's just really disappointing. I LOVED playing in these, but for the "most tested Jordan ever," this should never happen. I've never had a forefoot zoom bag pop on me, and let me tell you I've beat the hell out of my J's playing hundreds of games in them--12's, 13's, 3 pairs of 14's, 15's, 16's, two pairs of 2010's, 2011's, and 2012's. Never ANY problems with quality, at least not regarding my cushioning.

I think the main design flaw around these is the flex point on the forefoot zoom. Unlike the "Superfly II's," these have no built in flex groove for your forefoot, so you're basically flexing this big zoom bag sandwiched between two pieces of plastic over and over again. Its "flex point" is vertical rather than horizontal for some reason, and I'm guessing that it blows on that awkwardly placed groove. Mark my words--if/when they implement the "flight plate" technology on the XX9's, it will have a better-implemented flex point, akin to the Superfly II. 

So, to wrap up my rant--great job, Jordan Brand, on implementing a new technology that actually works. Now, just make it last. These would have never survived a season of high school basketball, or a summer league. 99.9 % of people wearing these (to hoop in at least) are not NBA athletes who can get a new pair every night. These need to endure the rigors of at least a season, especially for 150-250. Out. 

appears my post was unclear...

i have worn all my pairs several times, for several hours each, and have had none of the problems described here ?

they DO last a lot more than 4 hrs

and IMO 

WORTH EVERY CENT

still not sure why they didn't release SEVERAL of the CWs that they released pixs of and no iD offered ?

appears there are more issues with the SEs too

now just waitin on the XX9s

fingers crossed 
I have to disagree with you there. Its hard to justify 'worth every cent' when the SE's came out for $100 less, just without the shroud, you cannot tell me that that shroud is worth $100. IMO the xx8's are an A class basketball shoe arguably the best of the year, technology is spot on (new but with flaws) but unfortunately over priced. I have read and experienced a very decent number of stories about the zoombag popping which is definitely an issue they should have sorted out especially when you expect people to pay that much for a shoe.

Also you shouldn't expect to see numerous amounts of cw's it's just Jordan Brands thing. If you look back at the most recent ones there isn't as many cw's are there are kobe or lebron cw's. Brands will always tease with PE's etc.
I think the design flaw is due to the unlocked zoom cushion and the thin sole.they sacrificed the durability for lightweight.
If the xx9 will be similar in sole design i will not buy, no matter how they look like.
It isn't so much the thin sole but the lack of a flex groove in the zoombag design/placement. The 'unlocked' aspect of the technology revolves around the minimal setup. It is just a shame they didn't do it like the superfly 2's or reinforce the setup with stronger glue or whatever.

I have to disagree with you there. Its hard to justify 'worth every cent' when the SE's came out for $100 less, just without the shroud, you cannot tell me that that shroud is worth $100. IMO the xx8's are an A class basketball shoe arguably the best of the year, technology is spot on (new but with flaws) but unfortunately over priced. I have read and experienced a very decent number of stories about the zoombag popping which is definitely an issue they should have sorted out especially when you expect people to pay that much for a shoe.

Also you shouldn't expect to see numerous amounts of cw's it's just Jordan Brands thing. If you look back at the most recent ones there isn't as many cw's are there are kobe or lebron cw's. Brands will always tease with PE's etc.

It isn't so much the thin sole but the lack of a flex groove in the zoombag design/placement. The 'unlocked' aspect of the technology revolves around the minimal setup. It is just a shame they didn't do it like the superfly 2's or reinforce the setup with stronger glue or whatever.
please feel free to disagree

IMO the shroud provides a totally diff look, fit, and feel so makes it quite different from the SEs .

a $100 difference ? maybe not but that is the buyer's choice to make right ? 

the reason i expected more CWs is because they released pixs of several CWs they they never released -- why bother ??

some of them were sweet and based on the comments, would have sold well

you buy what you like and i'll buy what i like

thanks for your thoughts

i'm glad i was able to secure my one pair for cheaper than my country's retail price, including shipping. they have really grown on me, and i love the shroud and the feel of them.

still, i think they are way overpriced. USD$250 is offensive for american retail. and the random release dates and constantly limited runs were an abomination. i really hate with a passion that a signature air jordan was not released at all in Sydney. I've never seen JB throw such blatant disregard to its fans as the release of the xx8.

it's as though jb is so profitable, it now favours hype over profit.

Bgrades fsr of the oak hills available at tanger outlet Pittsburgh for 180. I pieced together a decent pair. From what I saw the reason for the bgrade is because of glue stains on the shroud. Not really noticeable unless the shoe is right up to your eye on most of the pairs.

Bgrades fsr of the oak hills available at tanger outlet Pittsburgh for 180. I pieced together a decent pair. From what I saw the reason for the bgrade is because of glue stains on the shroud. Not really noticeable unless the shoe is right up to your eye on most of the pairs.

Nice!!! I wish it was another color since I have the cements with basically the same colors.

welcome to the oak hill club got mine for 150

enjoy !!

Last edited:
I'm waiting for another colorway to hit the outlets. I'm not a fan of the Oak Hills.

I'm waiting for another colorway to hit the outlets. I'm not a fan of the Oak Hills.

The oak hills are probably my third fav behind the Westbrook pe's. Wish I would have picked up the jokers when they hit the outlet, but I'm happy to have the hills and the cements.

It's just really disappointing. I LOVED playing in these, but for the "most tested Jordan ever," this should never happen. I've never had a forefoot zoom bag pop on me, and let me tell you I've beat the hell out of my J's playing hundreds of games in them--12's, 13's, 3 pairs of 14's, 15's, 16's, two pairs of 2010's, 2011's, and 2012's. Never ANY problems with quality, at least not regarding my cushioning.

I think the main design flaw around these is the flex point on the forefoot zoom. Unlike the "Superfly II's," these have no built in flex groove for your forefoot, so you're basically flexing this big zoom bag sandwiched between two pieces of plastic over and over again. Its "flex point" is vertical rather than horizontal for some reason, and I'm guessing that it blows on that awkwardly placed groove. Mark my words--if/when they implement the "flight plate" technology on the XX9's, it will have a better-implemented flex point, akin to the Superfly II. 

So, to wrap up my rant--great job, Jordan Brand, on implementing a new technology that actually works. Now, just make it last. These would have never survived a season of high school basketball, or a summer league. 99.9 % of people wearing these (to hoop in at least) are not NBA athletes who can get a new pair every night. These need to endure the rigors of at least a season, especially for 150-250. Out. 

I think the flight plate has a lot to do with the air bag popping. There is nowhere for the air to go when it is compressed, with the flight plate on top and the "caging" from the outsole on sides of it. The flex point in the superflys certainly help because there is less stress now. But there is also less tension on the fibers so the spring back isn't as great.

I think the flight plate has a lot to do with the air bag popping. There is nowhere for the air to go when it is compressed, with the flight plate on top and the "caging" from the outsole on sides of it. The flex point in the superflys certainly help because there is less stress now. But there is also less tension on the fibers so the spring back isn't as great.
I think this is a great point. I thought about that when playing--I mean, that compressed air has to go somewhere. Unfortunately, it often blows out the side to the bag. I had wondered about how the Superfly's stacked up. I honestly think I'd take a little less springiness in return for more durability. Also, I wouldn't mind if Jordan Brand used a little bit plusher insole (at least ortholite) on top of the flight plate. I found that I missed the "molding to your foot" ability of classic foam underneath my feet. Because, let's face it--flight plate equals your foot on top of a plastic plate the whole time.

i'm glad i was able to secure my one pair for cheaper than my country's retail price, including shipping. they have really grown on me, and i love the shroud and the feel of them.

still, i think they are way overpriced. USD$250 is offensive for american retail. and the random release dates and constantly limited runs were an abomination. i really hate with a passion that a signature air jordan was not released at all in Sydney. I've never seen JB throw such blatant disregard to its fans as the release of the xx8.

gotta cover the R&D

gotta cover the R&D

looks like the consumer is the R&D with all these air bags popping.

Back
Top Bottom