Air Jordan XX8 aka 2013, new "Proplate Zoom" Technology OFFICIAL THREAD.

Was gonna wait for clearance, but my boss just gave me $150 nikestore.com certificate for hanukkah, so I might cop at retail now. But definitely not the block/volt colorway. I wonder how much longer until we know what colorways are coming out in March. They better release a traditional AJ colorway.

Not saying that I personally would pay $250 for these, but folks got stop acting like shoes costing over $200 is a new thing. When I worked for a shoe company back in early to mid 2000's and not only Jordans, but Nike, Adidas running shoes, soccer cleats and even track spikes were over $200, even New Balance had running shoes for $200 plus, keep in mind this 10 years ago. Just throwing that out there. Like I said, not saying it is right to do, but just letting it be known this not a new thing.

The J is Back -

Foamposite jumped the price barrier from $150 to $180 in 1997. Then prices came down.

Air Jordan XVII jumped the price barrier to $200 in 2002. Then prices came down.

LeBron 9 Elite jumped the price barrier to $250 this year. A year where the Air Jordan was $180.

So yes, basketball shoes costing over $200 *IS* a new thing. It's the largest price jump in Air Jordan history and it's a price point Nike had never attempted until this year.

THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER BBALL SHOE FROM NIKE OR JORDAN BRAND THAT HAS A FLAT TOEBOX OUTSIDE OF THE LEBRONS.

EVERYTHING THEY PUT OUT NOW A DAYS HAS THAT BANNANA/CLOWN SHOE CURVE UPWARDS LOOK. JORDANS, NIKES, KD'S, KOBES, ETC.

GOD I HATE THAT CURVE UPWARDS LOOK.

Not sure if anyone saw these & I know it's a CPU image but if these dropped would you cop?!? Especially all of the people calling this shoe ugly! Personally I like the 28 CW as I stated a while ago, I don't think spike lee did the shoe any justice in the Knicks CW... But it didn't lessen MY interest in the shoe at all.

Not sure if anyone saw these & I know it's a CPU image but if these dropped would you cop?!? Especially all of the people calling this shoe ugly! Personally I like the 28 CW as I stated a while ago, I don't think spike lee did the shoe any justice in the Knicks CW... But it didn't lessen MY interest in the shoe at all.

Yeah that ps was a few pages back

THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER BBALL SHOE FROM NIKE OR JORDAN BRAND THAT HAS A FLAT TOEBOX OUTSIDE OF THE LEBRONS.
EVERYTHING THEY PUT OUT NOW A DAYS HAS THAT BANNANA/CLOWN SHOE CURVE UPWARDS LOOK. JORDANS, NIKES, KD'S, KOBES, ETC.
GOD I HATE THAT CURVE UPWARDS LOOK.
I agree

Other than price, what feature or technology do these have that will trickle down to other basketball shoes? Jordan's used to set the standard, then all would follow or the technology would trickle down to "lesser" shoes.

I don't remember the last time this happened. It's been the other way around it seems. As an example, I.P.S. is technology that the Air Jordan line pioneered in the Air Jordan XX's, and that never trickled down.

I hope something does, I was just wondering if you thought that something might trickle down?

The J is Back -
Foamposite jumped the price barrier from $150 to $180 in 1997. Then prices came down.
Air Jordan XVII jumped the price barrier to $200 in 2002. Then prices came down.
LeBron 9 Elite jumped the price barrier to $250 this year. A year where the Air Jordan was $180.
So yes, basketball shoes costing over $200 *IS* a new thing. It's the largest price jump in Air Jordan history and it's a price point Nike had never attempted until this year.

Maybe I am taking what you are saying wrong, but you seem to come across as if you thinkg that I am defending the $250 price point. First of all I am aware of all those price points as my orginal statment points out. The point that I was making is if there were $200 running shoes, cleats, and spikes from even non Nike brand brands back in the early 2000's, I am not surprised by this $250 price point, specially if the shoes I just mentioned are not even close to having as much material in them as basketball shoes.

I am not sure how old you are but back then I found it funny that people have NO problem with spending $200 plus dollars for cleats or spikes and running shoes, but that very same year that Jordan Brand was crazy for making $200 basketball shoes with extras.

Just so we ALL are CLEAR I am NOT defending the price, but at the same time I am not surprised by it.

I dont know why all the hate for these, seriously havent liked a number jordan since the XXs and i might be the minority but for me it was the XXs last and then the XIIIs before that and everything in between was poop to me so im excited about this shoe except for the price point.

JB justified the price hike for the XVII likely due to the additional metal briefcase.  I don't think the price hike would be a result of the technology involved with the shoe's outsole, insole, midsole, cushioning system, etc.  I don't think it'd have anything to do with the inner booty either.  If anything, the price hike must most likely be from that special Swiss fabric the shoe's upper is made out of.  We've yet to see what really makes that material special, if anything.  For all we know, it could just be overly glorified fabric with little to no added performance and durability aspects  (like Foamposite, etc.)  

Safe to say the color schemes released will determine whether this shoe is a hit or miss.

JB justified the price hike for the XVII likely due to the additional metal briefcase.  I don't think the price hike would be a result of the technology involved with the shoe's outsole, insole, midsole, cushioning system, etc.  I don't think it'd have anything to do with the inner booty either.  If anything, the price hike must most likely be from that special Swiss fabric the shoe's upper is made out of.  We've yet to see what really makes that material special, if anything.  For all we know, it could just be overly glorified fabric with little to no added performance and durability aspects  (like Foamposite, etc.)  

That "special" Swiss fabric - Schoeller - was used in this pro leather collab:

and the shoe retailed for $90.

I'm more inclined to believe - and this is pure speculation - that Nike didn't wanna make MJ upset so priced his shoes at a higher point than Lebron's.

Maybe I am taking what you are saying wrong, but you seem to come across as if you thinkg that I am defending the $250 price point. First of all I am aware of all those price points as my orginal statment points out. The point that I was making is if there were $200 running shoes, cleats, and spikes from even non Nike brand brands back in the early 2000's, I am not surprised by this $250 price point, specially if the shoes I just mentioned are not even close to having as much material in them as basketball shoes.
I am not sure how old you are but back then I found it funny that people have NO problem with spending $200 plus dollars for cleats or spikes and running shoes, but that very same year that Jordan Brand was crazy for making $200 basketball shoes with extras.
Just so we ALL are CLEAR I am NOT defending the price, but at the same time I am not surprised by it.

It's not a question of defending it or not. Nike is free to charge whatever they want and people are free to buy or not buy. It's obvious that Nike is raising their prices across the board right now. Charging $180 for the Air Jordan one year and then charging $250 the next year is a huge jump. So, it's to be expected that many are surprised or unhappy that the Air Jordan is going up in price 40%.

I'm 29 years old. I'll be 30 at the end of next month. I've been wearing Nike exclusively since the late 80s and was fortunate enough to have Nike as a sponsor when I was a promising tennis prospect many years ago. Whether I was paying full price or getting the stuff for free, I've always been fiercely loyal to Nike. Through every price increase. Bought the Foam one on release day in 97. Bought the Foam max on release day in 98. Bought the Flightposite on release day in 99. Bought every Jordan on release day pretty much since the X. I've seen the price spikes and I've seen prices come back down. Never seen a $70 jump before and I'm curious to see how it works out, especially with most Air Jordans ending up on clearance racks over the years.

If you want to compare basketball sneakers to soccer cleats or high end running shoes, be my guest. Seems silly to compare apples to oranges when comparing oranges to oranges is easier and more logical.

The year you reference that Jordan tried the $200 price point . . . it was a flop. Complete flop. Public totally rejected it. So if you're pointing to a $200 price point ten years ago as some sort of proof that $250 can work now, I couldn't disagree more.

I will pay the $250 for the first XX8 that drops in white. I don't think many others will. I understand why Nike is trying to push the price points, but I think they are pushing them a little too far. I don't think it will work out as they hope. Guess we'll see. When people didn't bite at $180, not sure that's the right time to try $250.

Hell, the deluxe $223 version of this year's Jordan is still sitting on clearance racks by me for $109. Including the year of the dragon.

Back
Top Bottom