Air Jordan XXXVII (37) first look…

Speaking of bad colorways the last few years. Can we please take a bow at the colorways they gave us with the modern classic AJ31. I know the traction wasn’t great, but man the shoe was comfy and looked great casually and on court.

These ain’t even all of the fire they gave us!
D2C972A9-5F30-4696-BADE-E1469D0A37F2.jpeg
84A1788B-169A-495D-AA62-28A68E088DBD.jpeg
52E35A6E-33D0-42A6-9FAF-3B0EA056063D.jpeg
CE0BBA4D-9EE0-449D-A4E0-07B4EFC5DEAB.jpeg
B8A9262C-5729-4E47-AC15-61F14723794D.jpeg
0E190967-E0CA-491E-970B-72DC35F81D7A.jpeg
5716A0DC-7136-48AF-B038-38CE2D92B71C.jpeg
64368D69-29C7-457A-A73A-9B41F0945257.jpeg

Speaking of bad colorways the last few years. Can we please take a bow at the colorways they gave us with the modern classic AJ31. I know the traction wasn’t great, but man the shoe was comfy and looked great casually and on court.

they are a great shoe for non-basketball events.

I really did like that shoe, unfortunately I got them for basketball. :rolleyes

They weren’t bad on a clean court imo.

I had four pairs that I had to get rid of and clean or dirty, they squeaked a lot and slid.

I've literally never experienced a shoe that had that bad of traction.

They were cool for running up and down the court, but once you cut it was a wrap!

If you had a good experience I'm Very happy for you because I really wanted them to work!

I had four pairs that I had to get rid of and clean or dirty, they squeaked a lot and slid.

They were cool for running up and down the court, but once you cut it was a wrap!

If you had a good experience I'm Very happy for you because I really wanted them to work!
This is a fact, I tried 4 pairs and even the improved solid outsole ones….which shoetubers claimed….I played on the cleaned and dirtiest floor…didn’t matter the 31 traction was azzz and you can’t tell me otherwise

Played in Jordans IX to start the season in College back in the day and they were the splippiest sh*t ever! far worse than any other Jordans, even the 31, not even close!
So much that I had to revert to the VIII for games, until the X became available. As much as I loved to wear my IX, they were an absolute nuisance on court at this level.

I played at the 1, 2 or 3 position and my game was mainly based on explosiveness, athletism and driving hard to the basket.

Then X's were great North/South but were horrible for moving on the horizontal plane/playing D and getting ankle break while slippin'. Those were the 2 worst years in my experience as far as traction is concerned.
Then the XI came as a miracle after that 🙏

After that, with the XIII's when playing in senior leagues, when brand new and before I got accustomed with the shoes, I remember going especially for power lay-ups or breakaway 2 footed dunks and my feet came from under me on my last step for absolutely no reason on a few occasions as if there was some water on the floor, same with hard cuts with low shin angles.
Happened to me with the launch colorway and wht/navy/grey, not with the 2 other OG colorways I had after or any xiii retro, weird thing!

With the XXXI I've had mixed experiences depending on courts, sometimes ok, sometimes meh! My son loved his XXXI for the most part except for the ice skating on some occasions, but he played mainly at the 4 that season and was still very young, but on the days it was bad or while doing certain specific drills, it was REALLY bad!!! I concur.

Last edited:
Played in Jordans IX to start the season in College back in the day and they were the splippiest sh*t ever! far worse than any other Jordans, even the 31, not even close!
So much that I had to revert to the VIII for games, until the X became available. As much as I loved to wear my IX, they were an absolute nuisance on court at this level.

I played at the 1, 2 or 3 position and my game was mainly based on explosiveness, athletism and driving hard to the basket.

Then X's were great North/South but were horrible for moving on the horizontal plane/playing D and getting ankle break while slippin'. Those were the 2 worst years in my experience as far as traction is concerned.

After that, with the XIII's when playing in senior leagues, when brand new and before I got accustomed with the shoes, I remember going especially for power lay-ups or breakaway 2 footed dunks and my feet came from under me on my last step for absolutely no reason on a few occasions as if there was some water on the floor, same with hard cuts with low shin angles.
Happened to me with the launch colorway and wht/navy/grey, not with the 2 other OG colorways I had after or any xiii retro, weird thing!

With the XXXI I've had mixed experiences depending on courts, sometimes ok, sometimes meh! My son loved his XXXI for the most part except for the ice skating on some occasions, but he played mainly at the 4 that season and was still very young, but on the days it was bad or while doing certain specific drills, it was REALLY bad!!! I concur.

You know that you ruined my day right? :rofl:

In the past year ingot a pair of 9's and two pairs of 10's for basketball but haven't gotten around to wearing them yet. So to hear that the traction's bad is saddening.

I'll still give'em a try, if they're bad then I'll get rid of them.

Thank you for the response and great breakdowns!

the IX's looked really good but they are bricks. our teammate before had them as his playing shoes but he couldn't do a lot with it.

I was playing on midtier Uptempos and CB 94s which were amazing. played my best games with them.

Xs were great but I just don't like it's aesthetics.

I know I'm in the minority but I love the 32s a lot. had great games with them.

anyways, I was a PF/C back then. got confusing when I was delegated to SG since I was really quick and could really jump high with a decent/good midrange game. then got to become a PG years later and developed an insane knack for it. now, I'm back to PF/C since I've grown kinda large like a Grant Williams kinda build. so my shoe needs varies because of it and my style of play. can't jump that high anymore, energy level and endurance is shot and isn't as quick as before. the only things that remained are the passing, dribbling and shooting.

You know that you ruined my day right? :rofl:

In the past year ingot a pair of 9's and two pairs of 10's for basketball but haven't gotten around to wearing them yet. So to hear that the traction's bad is saddening.

I'll still give'em a try, if they're bad then I'll get rid of them.

Thank you for the response and great breakdowns!
No prob and unfortunately I have to stand by my words, I'm real so sorry for ruining your day bro'.

Love the look of the IX's. OG's back in 94' were super comfy and great to play in on rubberized flloors/mondo courts and for weight training sessions. (Still got 'em to this day somewhere under all of the other shoe boxes)
5127EC50-1614-4546-907A-124BB0AFC571.jpeg

In 2010 bought 2 pairs of wht/Carolina retro IX with midsoles hard as bricks...was very disappointed by that and no matter how hard I tried to break 'em in over time in hopes to eventually use 'em on super clean courts for nostalgia purposes, despite their crazy lack of grip, just because this particular colorway has always been one of my favourites. Had I known beforehand I would have only got 1 pair for casual purposes only because I was never able to break 'em in properly and soften up those brick retro midsoles! My OG were super comfy and plush as I said, but my retroes never got any better, to the point where I only wore 'em casually and even then, standing or walking for too long in these shoes literally hurt my heel, so they keep sitting in a box and I can't enjoy them for their intended purpose, so this year I gave a pair to my son for his J's collection and for casual wear since he now wears the same shoe size. He's stoked about having rare shoes and does not complain about heel pain or anything...maybe because he weighs 60lbs less, IDK.

My 2012 wht/blk don't seem as bad in that regard, but they are not like the OG's either, so after that I don't recall buying any more IX's since all those I have are almost in DS condition, hard as brick and no grip on top of that.
E884C755-E836-46F5-BD5D-DE4CC80EAA75.jpeg

Long story short, sorry for the disappointment man, prepare to wipe your soles at every whistle and during plays sometimes just to have subpar grip levels.

...unless they changed the materials on more recent ones.

As for the X's, still have one of my OG's(long retired) and I got at least 2 retros I can think of right now and they felt pretty much like the OG's on court if not the same and traction will be just ok, as long as you wipe the soles often. You'll find that if you run much, dunk, if you jump really high, land hard or do many power lay-ups that your under foot might start to hurt at some point or even get some plantar injuries. That's why I don't use them frequently, BUT I really enjoy the shoes ocasionally. I now keep 'em mostly for strength training where they do pretty good.

If they manage to correct the IX midsole issue I will def get a pair for casual or gym since I really like some of the colorways.
As for the 10, if they ever retro the Mitch Richmond colorway, I'm in for a pair! Always wanted these since I saw them on display in a store in Chicago along with all of the other PE's in 96. I remember trying about everything and talking with the manager, then the store owner to try to get my hands on them, but they were absolutely NOT for sale at any price, nor anywhere down the line!🙁

Last edited:
No prob and unfortunately I have to stand by my words, I'm real so sorry for ruining your day bro'.

Love the look of the IX's. OG's back in 94' were super comfy and great to play in on rubberized flloors/mondo courts and for weight training sessions. (Still got 'em to this day somewhere under all of the other shoe boxes)
5127EC50-1614-4546-907A-124BB0AFC571.jpeg

In 2010 bought 2 pairs of wht/Carolina retro IX with midsoles hard as bricks...was very disappointed by that and no matter how hard I tried to break 'em in over time in hopes to eventually use 'em on super clean courts for nostalgia purposes, despite their crazy lack of grip, just because this particular colorway has always been one of my favourites. Had I known beforehand I would have only got 1 pair for casual purposes only because I was never able to break 'em in properly and soften up those brick retro midsoles! My OG were super comfy and plush as I said, but my retroes never got any better, to the point where I only wore 'em casually and even then, standing or walking for too long in these shoes literally hurt my heel, so they keep sitting in a box and I can't enjoy them for their intended purpose, so this year I gave a pair to my son for his J's collection and for casual wear since he now wears the same shoe size. He's stoked about having rare shoes and does not complain about heel pain or anything...maybe because he weighs 60lbs less, IDK.

My 2012 wht/blk don't seem as bad in that regard, but they are not like the OG's either, so after that I don't recall buying any more IX's since all those I have are almost in DS condition, hard as brick and no grip on top of that.
E884C755-E836-46F5-BD5D-DE4CC80EAA75.jpeg

Long story short, sorry for the disappointment man, prepare to wipe your soles at every whistle and during plays sometimes just to have subpar grip levels.

...unless they changed the materials on more recent ones.

As for the X's, still have one of my OG's(long retired) and I got at least 2 retros I can think of right now and they felt pretty much like the OG's on court if not the same and traction will be just ok, as long as you wipe the soles often. You'll find that if you run much, dunk, if you jump really high, land hard or do many power lay-ups that your under foot might start to hurt at some point or even get some plantar injuries. That's why I don't use them frequently, BUT I really enjoy the shoes ocasionally. I now keep 'em mostly for strength training where they do pretty good.

If they manage to correct the IX midsole issue I will def get a pair for casual or gym since I really like some of the colorways.
As for the 10, if they ever retro the Mitch Richmond colorway, I'm in for a pair! Always wanted these since I saw them on display in a store in Chicago along with all of the other PE's in 96. I remember trying about everything and talking with the manager, then the store owner to try to get my hands on them, but they were absolutely NOT for sale at any price, nor anywhere down the line!🙁
I agree with you with regards to the retro IX's midsole. my pair of retro IX's didn't really broke in no matter I tried. even if the outsole was already eaten up, the midsole was still hard as hell synonymous to that of wearing those heavy signature designer shoes. on the otherhand, I was close to buying the Anthracites and Bred but didn't pursue them as I was having some nightmares with my previous retro IX's. the only exception that I would buy immediately without any 2nd thoughts would the FTLOTG IXs.

Attachments

• air-jordan-9-for-the-love-of-the-game-302370-401-1.png
    air-jordan-9-for-the-love-of-the-game-302370-401-1.png
    337.3 KB · Views: 96
I think the X is one of the best performers. The XI and IV are the two worst (including OGs). Never had OG IXs but as far as retros I noticed the lows have a nicer forefoot feel then the highs but man is that heel brutal (worse then 2009s). Damn shame the powder blue IX retro was such poor quality. As far as the XXXI my SBB traction was great on outdoor hard courts and lasted a long time.

I think the X is one of the best performers. The XI and IV are the two worst (including OGs). Never had OG IXs but as far as retros I noticed the lows have a nicer forefoot feel then the highs but man is that heel brutal (worse then 2009s). Damn shame the powder blue IX retro was such poor quality. As far as the XXXI my SBB traction was great on outdoor hard courts and lasted a long time.
woah! did you say XI as in 11 !?!
are you sure you didn't wanna say IX instead? Wow! I'm shocked!
I agree that some of the more recent XI retro are really not as comfy as the OG's though.
As for the IV 1st retro in '99 they were way narrow all the way through, offered absolutely no support and were not comfortable on court. But all of the other retro 4 I got after performed much much better and got me in love with the 4's all over again, even with the ever chipping midsole paint and required break in period for midsole initial stiffness. Haven't played in my 2019 bred so far...since I still use my older ones to this day(with the Jumpman) and I absolutely love'em.

woah! did you say XI as in 11 !?!
are you sure you didn't wanna say IX instead? Wow! I'm shocked!
I agree that some of the more recent XI retro are really not as comfy as the OG's though.
As for the IV 1st retro in '99 they were way narrow all the way through, offered absolutely no support and were not comfortable on court. But all of the other retro 4 I got after performed much much better and got me in love with the 4's all over again, even with the ever chipping midsole paint and required break in period for midsole initial stiffness. Haven't played in my 2019 bred so far...since I still use my older ones to this day(with the Jumpman) and I absolutely love'em.
The XI is one of my top 2 favorite models as far as looks but as a performer there’s nothing really great. Heel to toe transition is below average, traction not durable, not enough forefoot air/cushion, stiff ankle collar, heel isn’t forgiving, shoe doesn't mold to your foot or fit true to size. Similar to the IV you can’t move side to side that well either. The IE is better though. Todays anniversaries performed better as well.
XXXVI Rui (1 Year)
1661141797756.jpeg

XII Indigo (2 Years)
1661141731855.jpeg

IX Statue (7 Years)
1661141763609.jpeg

VII DMP (13 Years)
1661141644341.jpeg

Last edited:
The XI is one of my top 2 favorite models as far as looks but as a performer there’s nothing really great. Heel to toe transition is below average, traction not durable, not enough forefoot air/cushion, stiff ankle collar, heel isn’t forgiving, shoe doesn't mold to your foot or fit true to size. Similar to the IV you can’t move side to side that well either. The IE is better though. Todays anniversaries performed better as well.
XXXVI Rui (1 Year)
1661141797756.jpeg

XII Indigo (2 Years)
1661141731855.jpeg

IX Statue (7 Years)
1661141763609.jpeg

VII DMP (13 Years)
1661141644341.jpeg
the XIs are GOAT Shoes in terms of aesthetics. although I agree that they are not a great performer. they are decent but nothing amazing. for it's time, they would be considered good basketball shoes.

It’s a shame we can’t get retros with AT LEAST the comfort of the originals..

Honestly for the price we pay for these retros there’s no reason we shouldn’t be getting full length zoom air in every single retro they make.
since Nike/JB loves butchering these retros with inferior materials and ridiculous colorways and collabs, might as well change the cushion setup as well.

Back
Top Bottom