AJ XXX (30)

Finally caved and grabbed a pair from NDC on Saturday.... looking forward to seeing them in person 
smokin.gif

Wow. I'm actually quite suprised by the anticipation of future cw's of this shoe. It's been a min since there has been this much interest in a sig. Like other releases back in the day this shoe has grown on some folk. Wtf.

I've balled in practically every sig shoe the last three years. These things rank up there with my favs. Here are my impressions after the Friday trailing and 3 hours of open gym:

Fit: same as xx9 low for me. So just a little smaller than the xx8.

Upper: the toe feels fine. Sides are stiffer which helps with lateral movements. The heel is great and the height of the cuff is perfect IMO. The softer material up top was a great pic. They run stiffer and cooler in the xx9 so an impressive feat.

Cushioning: short term impression is that the shoe is stiff and firm but in a good way. If you find Lebrons too flexible because of the zoom pods then these will be your shoe. The forefoot zoom doesn't feel like the xx8. I never popped a bag but I miss th bouncy feel. I know they had to redesign due to durability issues but you don't even get the press in and rebound like you did with normal zoom. Still you get the feeling of bounce when you plant your foot to set flight. Feels like rounding the curve in a well balanced sports car. Reacts when you need it to in a satisfying way, but never excessively so.

Cushioning 2: long term was fine. I was worried about the lack of heel cushioning. After 3 hours my back and knees felt fine. Great even. Felt like they added extra in the heel of their base material just not a traditional cushioning tech like air, lunar or zoom.

Traction: I hate icy soles but Nike has improved the traction on icy soles over the years. These were fine for me. Like an 8.5 out of 10 and it seemed like they improved as you played more. Almost like tires it seems that they grip more as they "warm up".

Durability: had three guys step on my toes in these. Each time I cringed and waited to look. I was pleasantly surprised to see no scuffs on the toe at all. Seems very durable. Unfortunately someone stepped along the side and the white has a mark. The cloth sides will attract dirt.

Can't wait for them to #ReleaseTheRuss

its been a long time since i posted but felt like a few things needed to be said about these.

im a huge fan of basketball shoes, its obvious any new number jordans releasing are not for casual wear, made to perform.

but anyway i loved evrrything about the 29 except for them ripping on the side due to me having wide feet or i think it happened to everyone.

im going to be honest i couldnt wait for these xxx to release and didnt mind dropping 200 because i knew i was not going to be disapointed.

but heres my review:

quality and material is A+

traction  (grip) A+

lacing is great , can really get them nice n tight. especially the last loop the lace goes through on the top, its really a nice feature. allows  me to get them tighter than last year

bag are great on the toe

now heres where i had a huge problem.

the heel cushioning or foam around the Achilles hurts on my right foot and on the left its just really uncomfortable.

overall i thought it just not good. i dont know if the foam they used was alot more stiff than last year.

that wasnt the only problem the sides were so tight, i have a wide foot and this is usually a problem i deal with. most  of my shoes stretch out as i play . these shoes are made so durable that they have not stretched out after 4-5 hours of playing. these are not like the 29 , im thinking it will take alot more to get these to mold. its as if these were designed with one foot in mind and thats westbrooks foot. which i think is ridiculous most players in the league are tall and most weara size 14+ lol but i want to play in these so bad that i started thinking what i could do to help.

i could not figure out why the shoes was hurting so bad, i ended up going to finishline and purchasing a half size up. (sz 11)

that was a huge mistake, the toe box had so much room in it, i can not play like that. so i returned and kept the 10.5.

so after work i thought about what was hurting my foot.

1 > the shoe insert was a problem, it has a zig zag pattern on it with rubber grip . to keep your foot from sliding around in your shoe. which is a awesome feature i havnt seen before. love it .

only problem with that is the sock gets cought on the grip as your sliding your foot in, so your toes in your sock get all pushed and cramp together.

2> heel cushion as stated before

3> tightness on the sides due to width of my foot

so here was my solution. im not telling anyone else to do this but it fixed my problem all around.

1> took the aj xxx shoe insert out thru it in the box and put my jordan 29 cushion in. now my socks don't get caught up on the grip and have that uncomfortable feeling.my foot slides all the way in now. feels 100x better. im actually thinking of buying dr scholls sport inserts and putting those in there.

2> heel cushion biting into my Achilles = i took an exac-to knife and cut the middle cushioning out that goes over the achilles. im not talking about the whole cushioning but just the area that bites into it. now my foot no longer hurts. NOTE : as i was cutting i noticed that the cushioning was kinda folded over and actually not done very well. i took a look at the 29 and the design was different. anyways no more pain but still have the support on the sides just like the 29

3. tightness on the sides eased up a little due to the shoes insert being changed, but with playing more im sure the sneaker will stretch a bit more.

so yea this is just something i wrote up real quick. just my thoughts and solution. just typing it up to help other out with the same situation.

hope this gives others an idea of what the fitment is like. again this is just my experience and im sure many dont have any problems. i just think this shoe was really design for one foot in mind. if you have wide feet like me i would not recommend this shoe.

oh and fitment is true to size. buying a size up does not solve the tightness or any of these issues if your having these problem. going up a size just leaves a huge space up front in the toe box which many that play ball know that a big no no. unless your jason terry and wear 3 pairs of socks

ill try n check back to see what others are experiencing but inbox me if you need help or just a better insight as to what i did.

good luck everyone.

all n all i would just buy as many jordan 29s as i can get on sale before they are discontinued lol and hope the aj31 is fixed lol

Does that pressure from the Achilles pad go away over time? From first try on it definitely felt uncomfortable. I'm hoping it breaks in with a couple of wears.

Back
Top Bottom