AJ XXX (30)

I know, I was just utilizing recent examples to respond to the dude who stated Tinker no longer designs for them. I consider all the others are Common knowledge however I wouldn't put it past people. SMH

I know that you knew :smile: i just added them so for newbies who visit this topic can have a faster access to general knowledge of air jordan designs.
Now I'm wondering what's the theme for the xxx could be. We spotted a globe on the tongue.
Xx9 was the concept of tailored for flight, xx8 was stealth and military boots, 20!2 were inspired by men's leather shoes...

Tinker also designed the XVI- read "Driven From Within". He did the sketches for the shoe and handed it off to the design team to bring them to production. Similar to the way he designs today.

Back in the day he was more hands on during the entire design process. But he's so busy these days that he makes the initial sketches and then hands it off to the JB team. Nice gig.

As far as i remember, the XVI was designed by a men's senior shoes designer called Wilson. I didn't know that Tinker made the base concepts.

As far as i remember, the XVI was designed by a men's senior shoes designer called Wilson. I didn't know that Tinker made the base concepts.

Tinker did state he designed the concept for 16 and handed it off to Wilson Smith before he took a break from the brand until th 20. To me 16 is the GOAT. But that's just 1 mans opinion.

Tinker did state he designed the concept for 16 and handed it off to Wilson Smith before he took a break from the brand until th 20. To me 16 is the GOAT. But that's just 1 mans opinion.
XII>XVI/XX3>all the rest are kinda meh to me in no particular order

Last edited:
Are Air Jordan still inspired by something? I remember the XX's were inspired by motorbike racing, the XIX's after a black mamba and the XVIII after an italian sports car etc..

Are Air Jordan still inspired by something? I remember the XX's were inspired by motorbike racing, the XIX's after a black mamba and the XVIII after an italian sports car etc..
Yes, every new air Jordan are still inspired or influenced by something MJ likes or by what Tinker sees. XX8 is inspired by a military boot btw. Xx9 inspired by car air bags and plaid. 2012 inspired by Jordan's love for jazz.

Last edited:
Yes, every new air Jordan are still inspired or influenced by something MJ likes or by what Tinker sees. XX8 is inspired by a military boot btw. Xx9 inspired by car air bags and plaid. 2012 inspired by Jordan's love for jazz.
I think the 17s are the ones more directly inspired by Jordan's love for jazz (hence the musical notes on the shroud). 2012s, if I recall correctly, are inspired by wingtip shoes commonly worn with zootsuits (notice the paneled look of the 2012s vs black and white wingtip shoes). Haven't read up much on the XX9, but I think you're spot on the XX8.

Yup, you got that right. Notice the metallic piping on the back of the XX's; they're supposed to be reminiscent of motorbike pipes if I recall correctly. As for the 18, I'm pretty sure they're directly inspired by the Lamborghini Murcielago (if the shape and angular design of the shoe doesn't serve as a dead giveaway, the flaps on the heel of the shoe should, as they pay direct homage to the Murcielago's spoilers that flap open once a certain speed is reached). 

Last edited:

Yeah. Though the main theme of the XX were the 20th anniversary with all previous air jordans shown on the midfoot section lasered and on the IPS outsole.
XVII was inspired by jazz music and the Aston Martin (DB9).
XVIII was inspired by car racing and the Lamborghini Murcelago.

Tinker also designed the XVI- read "Driven From Within". He did the sketches for the shoe and handed it off to the design team to bring them to production. Similar to the way he designs today.

Back in the day he was more hands on during the entire design process. But he's so busy these days that he makes the initial sketches and then hands it off to the JB team. Nice gig.
That's weak and probably why he fell off.

Anyone see this secret reveal on 12/15 from. Nike? Doubt it's anything but one can hope.

Last edited:

I think the 17s are the ones more directly inspired by Jordan's love for jazz (hence the musical notes on the shroud). 2012s, if I recall correctly, are inspired by wingtip shoes commonly worn with zootsuits (notice the paneled look of the 2012s vs black and white wingtip shoes). Haven't read up much on the XX9, but I think you're spot on the XX8.
you are right, 2012's inspired by swing dancing and wingtips. jazz was a big part of that era.

i always like how AJs are always inspired by things around us unlike the Kobes or Lebrons or KDs. that's why each AJ always look different compare to the other lines.

Last edited:
Tinker also said part of the XX8 inspiration was the concept of stealth and the opening scene of True Lies.

Back
Top Bottom