Although both share(d) pinnacle hip hop popularity, how come Nas never mainstreamed as well as jay?

Originally Posted by cartune

Originally Posted by three6mafia

jay z is more bubble gum rap.
examples please
laugh.gif
tell me somethin Jay did more cheesy than I Can, Oochie Wally, Quick To Back Down or naming your album the N word for attention
1. the album was based around the N Word. it wasn't dude was rappin about everything else but the topic at hand. i seriously don't see howanyone can criticize nas for this.

2. its marketing. just like naming your album American Gangster after the biggest film of the Fall. same thing. get the consumers attention and deliver

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Nah I ain't goin front, you're one of the VERY few that KNOW what your talkin about... 90% of the time...

This is part of the 10% tho fam...

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Nah I ain't goin front, you're one of the VERY few that KNOW what your talkin about... 90% of the time...

This is part of the 10% tho fam...

U know what...!+%! it Ill take the L ....only cause Nas is the GOAT
laugh.gif

I see alot of people in here making excuses for Nas........."Nas could have been as popular or had as much money as Jay if he really wantedtoo".......sure he could have
eyes.gif
. The fact of the matter is that Nastried to get that commerical success/appeal but failed. For the middle part of Nas's career, he was pretty much seen as the John Kerry of rap, a constantflip-flopper. Even Nay/Harlem on the Rise can attest to that.

lol "shorty you owe me ice" attempt at him going mainstream and still couldnt do it. Some rappers just cant make mainstream songs aka Nas. Im outthis thread after dude said girls,girls,girls is a cheesy song.

I've been critical of NaS and some of the records he's made... Especially when he said Hip Hop Is Dead, I agree with the statement to an extent, butits a double edged sword, because it would ONLY matter if someone of NaS credentials to say that and people to actually care... But @ the same time he did alot to contribute to the music fallin off...

I feel the same way with Jay comin out with "D.O.A." Because he's askin kids of this generation to take it back gritty after he's made $500million off of a lot of successful POP singles... That's wack to me, he contributed to a lot of what's goin on. & now 50 Cent is jumping on thatsame boat, I mean come on those are the last 2 that should be tryin to turn the tide after they've made their millions off of POP records... But @ the sametime, they are in a position where they can be critical of the game only because they've contributed a great deal...

Originally Posted by M16

Originally Posted by cartune

IMHO Nas cant.

Who wants to hop on some album with the %$!!$%# from coldplay or a trash rock band or make some soft R&B garbage anyway ? Jay can't make an Untitled album. Hell.. Jay can't make any of Nas's albums. Nas can pretty easily hop on a beat and just brag with aweful flow if he wanted too; that ain't him though. The whole question of Jay vs Nas is proabably the easiest, simplest, and one of the most accurate ways to judge someone as a rap fan. I don't think i've ever in my life seen a knowledgeable rap fan take Jay over Nas. When talking to the ignorant, it's almost exactly the opposite. It all comes down to what has been repeated dozens of times in this thread already... Jay makes sell out trash for white kids.

/thread.
roll.gif
You take this type of #%+@ WAAAAAAAAAY too serious. Itsjust music fam. Everyone will have a different opinion and if I say I'd rather listen to Jay over Nas that in turn makes me "an ignorant rap fan"?

You are a dumb #$%.
indifferent.gif

I don't take it that seriously at all, I just got respect for the culture.

And why are people in here trying to claim Nas hasnt tried to go commercial? The same dudes saying that bring up "Street Dreams" like that wasnt acommercial attempt.

And please, PLEASE, dont bring up the subject matter of that song. Basically sampled the hook from one of the most popular songs of the 80's with a catchybeat that, back in 97', was getting play in the clubs.

Im sorry folks, but thats a commercial song.

And to say Jay never put out a single that had the commercial hook/beat but had subject matter is pure hate.

Lets be fair tho... I'm not a fan of IWW, but "Street Dreams" is harder than ALL of Jay's singles he ever put out after RD (& "WhereIm From"... & it was a Billboard Top 25 single... I don't care too much for the song personally, but its better than the MAJORITY of Jayssingles...

How many BAD singles has NaS released?? That should be the question, in comparison to Jay... The ONLY corny singles Nas has put out are
"Street Dreams"
"You Owe Me"
"Oochie Wally" (did VERY well on the charts)
"Nastradamus"

Jay had a WHOLE bunch IMO...

How many BAD singles has NaS released?? That should be the question, in comparison to Jay... The ONLY corny singles Nas has put out are
"Street Dreams"
"You Owe Me"
"Oochie Wally" (did VERY well on the charts)
"Nastradamus"

Jay had a WHOLE bunch IMO...

You're doing a great job of contradicting yourself champ. The vast majority if not all of Jay's singles did well on the charts in comparison toNas's half-!!* attempts. Matter of fact, for all of Jay's singles going back to his last 4-5 albums the only single I don't care for is '03Bonnie & Clyde. Also, let's not forget that Nas even had Chris Brown on his last album, and that record still didn't get any traction, that rightthere should tell EVERYBODY something.

No one disputing weather or not Jay's singles did well, of course they did... But that doesn't make the songs good... He's released quite a fewAWFUL pop records... Yall are refrencing 3 or 4 Nas records in the course of his 17 year career...

Quality of the singles
Nas > Jay

Billboard Chart Success
Jay > Nas

Harlem on da rise cuttin himself short cuz he refuses to aknowledge it was written as a classic

Album...
laugh.gif

Harlem on da rise cuttin himself short cuz he refuses to aknowledge it was written as a classic

Album...
laugh.gif

Nas one of the few mainstream rappers out that still has the respect of the few real hardcore hip hop/underground heads that are left in the U.S and especiallyso abroad in Europe and Asia. Jay just gets props for RD and maybe 5% of his career after that. At the end of the day, that's what really matters, not howmany teeny boppers in middle America like you.

Back
Top Bottom