Amazon to launch Lord of the Rings "prequel" series

hopefully they snag peter jackson.

side note: there's a dude on NT that does CGI work and he was involved with smaug from the hobbit.

Why not have an original story set in Middle Earth, after the events of LoTR instead of this 'prequel' junk?

LOTR book fans are begging for prequel junk.

Tolkien has so much backstory from before The Hobbit and LOTR that would put the movies to shame.
Armies of Balrog's and dragons all over the place.

Why not have an original story set in Middle Earth, after the events of LoTR instead of this 'prequel' junk?

they are probably also limited with what stories the Tolkien family (who might still own the rights iirc) allows them to tell

they've been very strict with the property in the past

I call this the GoT effect, Amazon investing so much to try for their own GoT level series

Reactions: wr
they are probably also limited with what stories the Tolkien family (who might still own the rights iirc) allows them to tell

they've been very strict with the property in the past

As they should be, The Hobbit films were next level trash. Just tryna make a $ cause anything that comes from the Silmarillion or history that Tolkien has is not meant for screen adaptation to the masses.
LOTR book fans are begging for prequel junk.

Tolkien has so much backstory from before The Hobbit and LOTR that would put the movies to shame.
Armies of Balrog's and dragons all over the place.
I don't know any book fans who are begging for prequel junk going from page to any screen format, Peter Jackson did a phenomenal job but that's a once in a lifetime hit. More likely than not they're just going to continue to butcher anything else they put out.

Is it me or this has been known for a while?

It feels like a read something about it months ago.

Curious to see what they put out

a new book is releasing too:

New 'Lord of the Rings' Book, 'The Fall of Gondolin,' Releasing This Year

Fans of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle-earth saga The Lord of the Rings are in for a real treat. A new book titled The Fall of Gondolin, edited by J.R.R. Tolkien’s son Christopher Tolkien, will be released later this year.

The latest instalment in the fantasy favorite series will spotlight a little-known chapter in the history of J.R.R. Tolkien’s crafted world and is said to be “the first real story” of Middle-earth. The story was written by Tolkien while he was in the hospital and will chronicle the fall of Gondolin, a major city in Middle-earth, and its citizens.

“It’s a quest story with a reluctant hero who turns into a genuine hero — it’s a template for everything Tolkien wrote afterwards,” John Garth said, author of Tolkien and the Great War. “It has a dark lord, our first encounter with orcs and balrogs — it’s really Tolkien limbering up for what he would be doing later.” The Fall of Gondolin also contains Tolkien’s “biggest battle narrative outside of The Lord of the Rings,” according to Garth.

The book will be the conclusion of a trilogy based on stories from The Silmarillion that includes The Children of Hurin, and The Tale of Beren and Luthien. It will feature drawings and color plates from Alan Lee, who won the Best Art Direction Oscar for his work on Jackson’s Return of the King adaptation.

That's going to be real hard to pull off but god bless them for trying :pimp:

First line of business is to get WETA workshop on board.

i just saw it :lol:

i was going to copy and paste the article and no one would have known it was two weeks late but i was lazy :rofl:

I already subscribe to prime so checking out the show will cost me nothing. Hope it’s better than the hobbit movies.

LOTR Director Peter Jackson Will Not Showrun Amazon's New Middle-Earth Series, But Still Remains Involved

It turns out the auteur will be involved in Amazon’s billion dollar investment. Speaking with an outlet regarding Mortal Engines, Jackson stated that he will be constructing a creative committee for the upcoming television series.

"I had a phone conversation with Amazon on that one — I think that was over a year ago and it sounded like they were doing the right thing [with the show], they have very good intentions with it, it all sounds very fascinating and exciting. However, I would not want to be the one responsible for the entire TV series, simply because I’ve never been responsible for a [long-term] series like this before in my life. So it would not be very smart if I took on the role of showrunner. What I’m actually doing right now is putting the creative team [behind the series] together."

Via Entertainment Weekly, Amazon’s LOTR twitter account revealed a new map of Middle-Earth, and confirmed that the show will be set in the Second Age. That places approximately 3,000 years of history between the series and the beginning of LOTR.

They got the guy who directed JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM making the first two episodes of this thing :lol:

My PMs are open for all LOTR fans

The team they've assembled for this show is stacked. Jeff Bezos sparing no expense.

Back
Top Bottom