Amazon's HQ2 Probably Headed to Northern Virginia (Crystal City)

It was such a pain getting into Crystal City. Smh.

Definitely would apply to Amazon if I still lived in VA.

Yea Detroit wouldn’t have been able to handle it but would’ve been cool
Why not?

Detroit used to be one of the top 10 markets in the country.

I get it, it wouldn't have been as easy, but Amazon could have made Detroit relevant again in minutes.

On a less ambitious note, why not Newark? Newark would have made more sense in a city that is still stuck in the "wire" times.

Why not?

Detroit used to be one of the top 10 markets in the country.

I get it, it wouldn't have been as easy, but Amazon could have made Detroit relevant again in minutes.

On a less ambitious note, why not Newark? Newark would have made more sense in a city that is still stuck in the "wire" times.

downtown or Detroit in general cannot handle 50k+ NEW employees moving down daily for work

its already busy as is.

where would they live? yes they're building more apartments,studios, god knows what else but those are being bought up instantly. it wouldn't work out as much as I want it to. maybe in 10 years we might be ready for a big company like amazon or google to have a headquarter or something down there

Amazon will not be building the second HQ2 in NYC after alll

*Every native new yorker*
A0484843-9FFD-4D83-909E-7550E7BCF104.gif

FAX B!

Happy they’re not coming. I currently live in LIC and it’s a zoo even without it. Parking is horrible, the traffic and commute is a mess. Good riddance!
Yeah man i lived in sunnyside for like 2 years not far from lic, but man that area is already tough to get around both train and driving during rush hour will be more hellish if they moved in.

But the bigger picture nyc was getting the $hit end of the amazon deal.

I’m liberal as **** but we kinda played ourselves by having Amazon cancel plans to come to NY.

A lot of tax revenue we could’ve used in the long term.
Would like to get the details on the finances of this deal long term to see how bad this **** really is.

Wonder how this would compare to the oil tax breaks in Oklahoma. I myself am not informed enough on both sides of the table to agree with either, but am definitely interested in the details of the deal such as the finances.

That interview is also an interview of a real estate broker.. who I’m sure had some skin in the game. So it’s not a very good argument or perspective. He’s in it for his own personal gain.

Last edited:
I’m liberal as **** but we kinda played ourselves by having Amazon cancel plans to come to NY.

A lot of tax revenue we could’ve used in the long term.
Would like to get the details on the finances of this deal long term to see how bad this **** really is.

da fact that AOC thought that 3 billion in tax breaks could be "used for other things" shows how little she knew what she was talking about..(Amazon was set to pay 27 billion in tax revenue) that money only exists had Amazon planted down.

The idea of government playing favorites and offering multi billion tax incentives to individual private companies doesn't sit well to me.
A company that paid 0 in federal tax back to back years despite being the most valuable company on the planet.
Where are these advantages for businesses smaller than Amazon? Give me a break.

This would have never happened if Amazon built its HQ in a city that could benefit the city as well as Amazon. Instead of a city that doesn't need Amazon at all. NY has the highest taxes in the country. Would you give your friend with money problems MORE money to fix his issue?

Also, you are crazy if you think Amazon isn't goin to bring more workers into NY anyway by way of quiet expansion like they did in Seattle. Amazon needs NY due to other Tech companies increasing presence. The economist just listed NY above SF as the best tech city in the WORLD. Google, Apple, and SalesForce are all expanding there. NY is also the financial center of the world, also these tech companies are all merging into ad companies and NY is the epicenter for that as well.

Amazon will be back, without any of their subsidies. If subsidies truly mattered they would have gone to Detroit or NewArk.

Back
Top Bottom