Amazon's HQ2 Probably Headed to Northern Virginia (Crystal City)

Yeah but not no 4-7k rent for a jail cell studio. A house mortgage maybe. I wanna see ya say the same thing when the landlords raise the rent in the heights even more cause of all da “hot spots”

We gotta start somewhere.
I’m just not going to give up on progress cause I’m worried about gentrification.

Yeah. I’m against pricing everyone out but if you tear down a **** hole warehouse that’s been abandoned for 30 years to build some houses that’s fine.

They way condos are popping up they are gonna limit themselves. If you got 20 different buildings with units for sale the demand isn’t that high.

So you down with more gentrification, cool. Kinda had the feeling. Easy not to care when you have rent control/ section 8 paying most da rent.

-section 8 is public housing voucher

-rent control is a grandfathered law that doesn't exist anymore.

neither of which is relevant to Amazon's long island city Landing had it happened. those tall buildings that are being built now would've absorbed those potential Amazon workforce and STILL been able to positively effect surrounding neighborhoods and businesses....

I’m just not going to give up on progress cause I’m worried about gentrification.

I’ll leave this convo here cause I could get super hot talking about landlords and developers. But the very act of gentrification is rooted in rasicim, classism and greed. I’m good on all 3 of those traits. Landlords and developers across the city talmbout the worst day in nyc since 9-11 wtf

I think we at a crucial point in history where we can’t confuse progress for gentrification.

A neighborhood building jobs, businesses, overall appearance, etc can’t always be called a bad thing just cause rent goes up.

At some point we gotta want our neighborhoods to be more desirable places to live in.

and long island city to emphasize, was a DUMP for decades...this isn't da case of a cute lil mom & pop neighborhood being invaded by suburban out of touch gentrifiers...there literally was NOTHING there outside Warehouses, abandoned river front property, hoards of autobody shops more inland towards da queensbridge houses, and ravenwood projects, and gas stations.

da actually residential neighborhoods are vernon blvd & sunny side, neither of which are in long island city, but would've benefited from da increased money flowing from those salaried workers spending money in da area.

Also the deal would have not only affected lic but surrounding areas and “hot neighborhoods” in Manhattan and bk as well.

But the very act of gentrification is rooted in rasicim, classism and greed.

Dominicans gentrified our own hood with expanded businesses and da dollar staying locally, you need to expand your perception of gentrification...its not a end game one way bad all da time.

Also the deal would have not only affected lic but surrounding areas and “hot neighborhoods” in Manhattan and bk as well.

25,000 jobs making over 130k each would've been spectacular..every damn city is harassing Amazon for a chance to woo em over, da politicians that doomed this deal will live to regret it.

Dominicans gentrified our own hood with expanded businesses and da dollar staying locally, you need to expand your perception of gentrification...its not a end game one way bad all da time.

Yeah I know all about that. We took the heights from Irish and German immagrants in the late 70’s and 80’s. That was then this is now. You go ahead and trust those Jew landlords and developers with dyckman.

AOC might’ve lost me with her push to get Amazon to fall back.
Everybody want money until it’s time to get money...

LIC was the skeeoo spot back in the day :lol:

Man those indian cabbie dudes was stay getting quick blows in their cabs :lol:

I still saw one of the strip clubs around there too.

I don't think this was a good move. I mean who wouldn't want Amazon setting up shop in their turf.

Democrats can and are some real dimwits sometimes.

Furtherproof Trump winning in 2020 again :smh:

So weird how cavemen are obsessed with AOC, a freshman rep a month in, basically weighing on things already in play before she came in.
She represents everything they are afraid of: a strong, Hispanic woman who is bringing to light all of the issues of equality that have benefitted them and harmed the rest of the world. She will crush their status quo and they can’t stand that. AOC is the best thing to happen to a Congress

LIC was the skeeoo spot back in the day :lol:

Man those indian cabbie dudes was stay getting quick blows in their cabs :lol:

I still saw one of the strip clubs around there too.

I don't think this was a good move. I mean who wouldn't want Amazon setting up shop in their turf.

Democrats can and are some real dimwits sometimes.

Furtherproof Trump winning in 2020 again :smh:
Anyone what wants to not have a housing crisis. Especially when your city already has issues with affordable housing.

Problem is NY legitimately doesn’t need this money. If this was Detroit and people were stopping, that would be a cause for concern. But this won’t make to break NYC any particular way.

My only gripe is they didn't decide to move the other half out here to NoVa after NYC fell through.

So what do you do when give Amazon large tax breaks, they cause a housing crisis, and when you try to raise taxes to help the homeless, they flip out and try to sabotage it. Because that is exactly what they did in Seattle.

You talk of progress but there are other ways to improve neighborhoods besides giving corporations massive tax breaks.

And one of the reason people do not like gentrification is because the racial aspect of it. These depressed areas have been made this way because of red lining, **** housing codes, and lack of investment when they areas have large minority populations. At the same time counties, states, and the Federal government subsidized majority white suburbs. Now white folk and large business want to live near city centers, we are again throwing money at them with little to no care about the fallout. A fallout that disproportionately hurt communities that have been neglected in the past

Amazon picked these locations because of their infrastructure and potential labor pool. But they don't want to pay their fair share to support the things they benefit from. They don't want to pay to alleviate the unintended consequences of their arrival. Instead, they were to use suspect economic arguments to act like people should be thankful of their presence and be willing to throw money at them.

If they wanted to make a big public display of this process, activist have the right to shame them on how **** they act.

Last edited:
lol@ bipartisan this video was made by Amazon.

oh u using trump's playbook?

every news channel/outlet just basically declared bow stupid AOC was for chasing Amazon from NYC, from Fox news all da way to MSNBC and CNN, CNBC, NY1, NY post, NY times, daily news, etc.

bottom line is da broad effed that bag up cuz she didn't understand how economics work.

Cuomo essentially gave Amazon a coupon, she thought she could scare em away and spend a coupon on something else...no doof, da money doesn't exist if Amazon leaves :lol: :smh:

Problem is NY legitimately doesn’t need this money

:rofl: go tell Cuomo NY don't need this money which he's been belly aching for to:

-fix da L train tunnel that got flooded during sandy, and find more funding for da MTA

-close da budget gap caused by rich people leaving NY state due to da elimination of State & local taxes deductions from federal taxes.

dummy trying to toll da east river bridges and charge a toll to enter lower Manhattan...money from Amazon local tax revenue would've significantly helped da city/state coffers.

Y'all are happy with a $1 trillion company moving into your city, increase the cost of living exponentially, and paying 0 taxes. :rofl: Amazon don't even pay taxes RIGHT NOW. The city of Seattle wanted to tax Amazon and put that $ towards our huge homeless problem. Amazon threatened to move out and Seattle backed off. No way Amazon will move anywhere if they don't get their way.

Back
Top Bottom