American Gangster...

I was just playin this over the weekend,another classic album from Jay.

Party Life and Say Hello are so **#$ing serious.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

How I missed this thread 2.5 yrs ago is beyond my comprehension
30t6p3b.gif

I have to agree with the brother Haze here, would've done so on the day this thread was made as well, and thats coming from someone who has no qualms criticizing/dissecting the homie's work as my resume has shown.

Like others have already stated I could've done without "Hello Brooklyn" & "No Hook" but they both have their place within the cohesive unit so I'll Allow It just like y'all allow "Jigga That _" & "Hola Hovito"
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
 Besides those he went 13/13 so I'll give it my stamp of "Classic"

DearWinter219 wrote:

Pray was 3/5
American Dreamin' was 4/5
Hello Brooklyn 2.0 was 2/5
No Hook was 4/5
Roc Boys was 5/5
Sweet was 2/5
I Know was 4/5
Party Life was 5/5
Ignorant #@+! was 4/5
Say Hello was 4/5
Success was 4/5
Fallin' was 5/5
Blue magic was 3/5
American Gangster was 2/5

On avg, that makes this a 4.25/5 album by my count......
nerd.gif

57b25e542d74580b57ca4ac5b63fe8287684142_r.gif

Whoa!

But since I grew up through the game
And my influence is the same
And my therapy is music
They ask if you ashamed (ashamed) (ashamed)
And though I wish I could separate the two things
I cannot so my answer to you remains
I can walk down the hall of mirrors in Versailles
And be so satisfied when I look myself in the eyes
No ShameNO SIR!

So I make no apologies, crooked policies
So a G a %$#%% gotta be
We playin for property no monopoly
So I'll pass go and let my nephew follow me
They say the child shall lead
So I take it far as I can and then we shall see

Shall we dance with the devil for a beat
I pray to God I ain't got two left feet

Do the hustle put ki's in the street
Then I'm ballroom dancing
Ke-key'in in the suite
Sweet

887253641a79b8c6578ab8147d01b86daf9ac06_r.gif

Whole heartedly agree. Sweet is my favorite song on the album. The first time I heard American Gangster, I thought the !$*% was nearly flawless. I could do without Hello Brooklyn. The beats are amazing, and the story telling is motion picture s_.

Top 5 Jay album... He brought it with every song. That intro to Pray was
smokin.gif

So many laid back / smooth songs on there too. Really like the feel of that album...

After carefully listening to AD a bunch of times since its release, I will say without reseveration that this album is a bit overrated.

Yes, I said it. And this is with it still being an amazing album in one respect. Why? Because it sounds (not on all, but most of the tracks) all too similar to a superior album that was released 11 years earlier - not just sonically but concept-wise as well.

It's one of the reasons why I appreciate KC more than AD. THAT Jay at least was more honest with the experiences he is currently dealing with as a music (not just rap) mogul and veteran in the game. Perhaps to others that kind of life isn't as interesting, but it provides a welcoming change of pace (IMO of course) from what I have heard from Jay throughout his career.

Bring on the hater posts and "U CRAZY" comments. I stand by what I said.

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

Originally Posted by solidsnake

1. The Black Album
2. Reasonable Doubt
3. American Gangster
4. The Blueprint

I'm not mad at this..

I am furious
mad.gif

laugh.gif
 but really though, AG over The Blueprint is blasphemy
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

After carefully listening to AD a bunch of times since its release, I will say without reseveration that this album is a bit overrated.

Yes, I said it. And this is with it still being an amazing album in one respect. Why? Because it sounds (not on all, but most of the tracks) all too similar to a superior album that was released 11 years earlier - not just sonically but concept-wise as well.

It's one of the reasons why I appreciate KC more than AD. THAT Jay at least was more honest with the experiences he is currently dealing with as a music (not just rap) mogul and veteran in the game. Perhaps to others that kind of life isn't as interesting, but it provides a welcoming change of pace (IMO of course) from what I have heard from Jay throughout his career.

you DO know it was a concept album right...

Originally Posted by PUSHA C

That's what HE called it.

so your point about it not being honest is null and void. i understand your pessimism but if its supposed to be a concept album (based off of the movie), you can't cut him any slack? cause the album is damn good

how could u not see that this is a concept album? The whole thing ridesout like a movie....the rise,good life,and the fall of a gangster....hell when I listen to it It makes me want to throw on AG the movie right afterThat's what HE called it.

so your point about it not being honest is null and void. i understand your pessimism but if its supposed to be a concept album (based off of the movie), you can't cut him any slack? cause the album is damn good

Sure. Which is why I still gave the album its due props in my post.I'm just not buying the whole "concept album" thing face value. I think an important motivation behind AD was that Jay was part listening to fans and also critics who wanted more of that "RD style music" instead of the more true to his current life topics he put on KC. It worked well and I'm not knocking the album for its lyricism - Jay was on point. I've just heard it before is all.

i mean i guess... if that's really how you feel then it is what it is lol. i really think you're shortchanging the album and how it was put together though

Back
Top Bottom