Americans got it all wrong with life, Europeans got it right with life

I live in SF, theres so many europeans I've met from all over europe here.  They live here for a couple years then move on to S. America, Canada, SE asia, Australia/New Zealand etc.

Way to not respond to the part I bolded.

Always found it funny we're constantly trying to imitate a dying dysfunctional continent that we've been keeping solvent for the past century. Our military presence in Germany frees up enough capital for them to be able to keep the rest of Europe afloat.

You must be current or ex military. :lol:

How is it living in sf?
Far too expensive, don't do it.

SoCal FTW.
Wouldnt southern California be almost as expensive
nerd.gif

Always found it funny we're constantly trying to imitate a dying dysfunctional continent that we've been keeping solvent for the past century. Our military presence in Germany frees up enough capital for them to be able to keep the rest of Europe afloat.
Same thing in japan no?

How is it living in sf?

SoCal FTW.
Well,I'll ask you this and of course nothing is guaranteed .

But would I live "ok" on 60gs a year out there?
Yes papi

How is it living in sf?

SoCal FTW.

Wouldnt southern California be almost as expensive :nerd:

Depends. Socal is much bigger and spread out than norcal which is why u can live here more affordably. IMO theres more opportunity here for middle class

It really depends on income and where in Europe though. I'm much better off than my cousins in Portugal and Spain just because of how salary/employment is much higher in the US. If you think people in their 20s have it bad in the US, you should see how much young people there have been struggling for the past decade. If I were well off already I would love living in Western Europe, but as someone still trying to establish a career, the US is a better option.

Last edited:
I've thought about it and I like my nice shiny things. I'm good with my choices.

Europeans traveling, seeking new destinations, learning new things..

Hmmmmmmm..
Sounds familiar, except it destroyed many cultures..

you can definitely live comfortably in SF off 60K. Hell, I lived off 40-45K without any probelms for a few years after I graduated. Don't listen to people who say you need 100K+ to survive out here. Just don't expect to live luxoriously; treat your apartment like a simple place to sleep at and enjoy the city instead

Last edited:
Okay really the only perspective on life that matters is your own, not some article someone wrote about what the "American Dream" should be for people and not what Europeans are doing with their lives. You want to live like a European go there and figure out if that life is for you. After a long time of thinking I'm pretty content with the lot I have.

No one's opinion or words can replace experiencing something when you're there. Certainly no one on NT or the internet in general should dictate how you live your life either.

People always ask me why my parents left Japan when it seems like such a clean country with a lot of cool, neat things. They didn't like the social structure there. Everyone does the same thing and has to live in the same way. Here in the US there's a lot of freedom, but there's also stupid **** in between that is frustrating.

Black or white, right or wrong ways of living doesn't exist in the world. Europeans don't have it that great.

you can definitely live comfortably in SF off 60K. Hell, I lived off 40-45K without any probelms for a few years after I graduated. Don't listen to people who say you need 100K+ to survive out here. Just don't expect to live luxoriously; treat your apartment like a simple place to sleep at and enjoy the city instead
Thanks for the input

The major I'm in averages about 60gs out there (supposedly) so if like to go where the money is

Americans: Work all the time no vacation/traveling.  Spend all their money to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Europeans: Constantly traveling to see new places, meet new people, learn new things.

you can literally plan out those things from the device you made this thread on.

granted this is from 2014...
Are Americans the world's most productive employees? Not even close, according to recent research.

Germany is probably still celebrating the national team's recent World Cup triumph, but locals raising a bier stein  in honor of soccer triumph might also consider sparing a toast for another (admittedly slightly less dramatic) first-place finish: Germany recently topped a ranking of the world's most productive employees, according to data from the OECD  put together by collaboration tech company PGi.

OK, having the best ratio of GDP to hours worked isn't exactly as exciting as raising the trophy in Brazil, but it's still a noteworthy accomplishment and one American workers with their famously long workweeks might want to take note of. How did the USA fare in this ranking? Not terribly. Better than we did at the World Cup.

Of the countries compared by PGi, America came in third. Who took second place? Defying stereotypes, the French with their extremely generous vacation policies and reputation for taking time to enjoy life are actually more productive per hour worked than Americans.

While Americans are clearly not complete slouches on the international productivity front, the data should still give us pause about our long hours. Workers in the US put in more hours than nearly everyone but Koreans (who should perhaps do even more soul searching--the country ranks near the bottom when it comes to hourly productivity). And while many nations are moving toward shorter workweeks--Sweden notably just began an experiment in shorter workweeks  and Germany has a policy of kurzarbeit, or shorter working hours, to fight unemployment and spread around available work--we still seem stuck in a cultural rut, boasting about our long hours at the office.

For decades, studies have shown the diminishing returns of  consistently putting in more than 40 hours a week, while some economists (and Google founders) have repeatedly pointed out that with technology doing more and more of the heavy lifting when it comes to productivity, it might be wiser economically and  socially (and hey, maybe even spiritually) if we all worked a bit less--say, 30 hours a week.

Perhaps we should take a look at the Danes, who work the fewest hours of any nationality, but consistently top global rankings of happiness (and aren't doing half bad economically either). "Here, if you can't get your work done in the standard 37 hours a week," one Dane told a Washington Post reporter  looking into this data, "you're seen as inefficient." (The Dutch are also known for their contentment with shorter workweeks.)

If you're convinced that the Germans and Danes might be on to something, check out  PGi's tips to help you start to get your long workweeks under control  (and paradoxically probably increase your productivity) such as planning your time in advance, being more ruthless about prioritization, and protecting time for leisure activities  as you would other important commitments.

http://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman/which-country-has-the-most-productive-workers.html

Back
Top Bottom