An Open Letter To Tyler Perry About His Portrayal of Successful Blacks

Is The Article Correct? Should Viewers Boycott His Movies Until He Produces A More Realistic Portrayal?

• Yes, I agree with the article. But we shouldn't boycott his movies.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't agree with the article. We shouldn't boycott his movies.

• Yes, I agree with the article. We should boycott his movies.

• No, I don't agree with the article. But we should boycott his movies.

• Total voters
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ernest-owens/tyler-perry-movies_b_3021098.html

A very good read. Text in the spoiler.

"Dear Tyler Perry,

It has been 13 films and eight years of perpetual stereotype. Through the years, I have found myself supporting your movies because you are one of the few consistent black filmmakers in Hollywood. Your films have grossed over $500 million in the box office worldwide and continue to launch television spin-offs and other media based endeavors. Even though Spike Lee, an even better director in my opinion, has critiqued you with good reason, I still had faith that you were adjusting to the business and would progress in your talent.

As I continue to view your work however, I have noticed that you have gotten better actors filling crappier roles for even more godforsaken screenplays. The movies continue to go below the belt and your attention to detail is becoming more minimal. Even your dramatic scenes that are meant to provoke us are being dismissed as farce. What is even more alarming is that as I used to watch your movies as a child and as I am now paying to see them as an adult, the life I strive to live continues to be mocked as a reality doomed for evil and self-destruction. So given your own rags to riches tale of faith and prosperity Mr. Perry, why must you continue to objectify and vilify blacks that strive for success in your films?

In your recent disappointment in cinema, Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor, your leading actress (played by Jurnee Smollett-Bell) get infected with HIV and loses her marriage based on her ambition to overall pursue a better career as a marriage counselor. Given that she is unhappy in her current marriage with an aloof, underachieving husband (that rather her cook dinner every day for him and go to church more to become "a better wife") Smollett-Bell's character is less understood given that she instead pursues a man that matches more of her professional, sexual and intellectual desires. If anything, the unfortunate moral of the story is: the more you aim high, the less happy you are.

Such a pathetic motif continued in your other movies, where in Madea's Family Reunion, successful black actors such as Blair Underwood is a controlling and abusive black attorney who loses his fiancée. Gabrielle Union in Daddy's Little Girls is a snobby uptight Ivy League alum turned attorney who "humbles" herself for a mechanic with previous children. Sanaa Lathan in The Family That Preys plays an educated accountant that is a doomed cheater that is scarred by a white man. Robbie Jones in Temptation is a successful black social media tycoon with HIV that is a womanizer who cheats, beats, stalks, controls and infects the many women around him. And the list goes on...

As for the many falsehoods and fallacies that play out in your movies, the biggest stereotype might just be that with black success come negative atrocities. If it means anything, your films continue to place blacks who aspire to do more be hesitant to achieve such for preconceived consequences will follow.

And what is even worse, is that your films create such a very unrealistic outlook. How many men such as Edris Elba in Daddy's Little Girls who plays a strong hardworking mechanic that takes care of his three daughters are really out there? For most of your films, the women who have fallen from their success in life have two options: either live a more humble life with an underachieving mate or live a lonely one scarred with either disease or unhappiness. In The Family That Preys, Sanaa Lathan was left with nothing while her husband eventually has his own business right after her. In Diary of A Mad Black Woman, Kimberly Elise decides to leave her attorney husband (who was also is, guess it: abusive and controlling) for a nice urban factory worker in her small town.

What disappoints me the most about your films Mr. Perry is that they do not positively reflect the various audiences of blacks that you have aspired to attract. You know, the ones that actually buy the movie tickets to support you. As a man who grew up in an urban environment that is now attending college at a fine Ivy League institution (University of Pennsylvania), I would like to let you know that I am not aspiring to become the controlling, manipulative and reckless psychopath that you continue to depict such men of color in your films. And the hardworking black women who have earned their degrees that stand beside me in these schools do not have to go so far down to their small towns to find a good man... they are also right here as well. And furthermore, as you find solace in trying to unrealistically characterize the street behavior of such men in your movies, you are doing all of us a disservice.

Why does this all matter? Because for all my life, I have yet to really see consistent movies with educated black couples in a real relationship. I know they exist because I see them in my own families and those of my friends. I am aware of broken homes as well, but that is not the entire narrative. As we see more intelligent women become, for better or worse, Olivia Popes... where are the Clair Huxtables? No one is asking for a cheesy plot, but why is it that we can expect to see such happiness from our white counterparts but not in ourselves?

Tyler, I have given up on you. You have created a ratchet film formula that has become as one critic called it, "malt liquor for the masses." You are not going to change; you have made millions off of the exploitation of your own people. And what is even more sad is that perhaps you are the very evil and illusion that becomes your very own stereotypes of black success. A level of selling out and lack of social responsibility that is as reckless as Robbie Jones in Temptation or as mindless and arrogant as Sanaa Lathan in The Family That Preys. But perhaps, this open letter is for the next aspiring black filmmaker of my generation who aspires to fix that.

I know once you read this, you will most likely tell me to "go to hell" just like you told a more talented and thought-provoking director named Spike Lee... but I would suggest that perhaps your buffoonery of motion pictures will go there as well.

Sincerely,

A Successful Young Black Man that will never again buy a ticket to your movie (I won't even watch it bootlegged)"

So my question to you all: Is the author of this correct about Tyler Perry's portrayal of successful blacks? If so, should we stop supporting one of most successful black directors in the business right now until he corrects his view? I haven't watched a Tyler Perry movie in years, so I already have my answer. What's yours?

They really used ratchet in the article. :lol:

If dude is so successful why doesn't he worry about something else. :rolleyes

Tyler Perry won't stop :pimp:

His portrayal of African Americans aside, the guy just makes awful art. There's no redeeming qualities in any of his movies I've seen. His TV shows are the most formulaic pieces of trash on television. They are almost watchable because they are so laughably awful.

They really used ratchet in the article. :lol:

If dude is so successful why doesn't he worry about something else. :rolleyes

Tyler Perry won't stop :pimp:

Because it's frustrating when you want your people to succeed but instead you see some goon brainwashing them into thinking success makes you mentally unstable, a domestic abuser, and STD rampant. The movies also promote the notion of the "successful black man who forgot where he came from"/"successful black man who thinks he's too good for everyone else." These types of beliefs are poisonous to our culture because to be black and successful now means to be bourgeois and out-of-touch. I consider myself on the path to success and I want my family to be proud of me/encourage the younger generation to be like me, not despise me and teach the younger generation that to settle academically and professionally is how to stay "real" and "down to earth."

After two of his movies I stopped watching. It is the same thing everytime: bright skinned pretty black woman, dark skinned hard looking black male, he does her wrong and then on the rebound she sees a light skinned black guy with muscles (peep the boondocks episode) and then through the power of prayer, song, and scripture everything is all good. Make this movie to appeal to "wounded ducks" (women with several kids from several dudes who have been dogged out by them) and they are packing the movies on opening weekend and are in there saying things like you go girl and forget that dude, etc., and you have struck gold. And have them all excited when he dresses up as a woman and is on the screen. It works for him to make more money that most of us will ever see, but boy those movies are TRASH.

Last edited:
only watched temptation i thought it was good, because it proved my point bwitches aint ish. all his movies make black people look horrible

Why anyone would waste their time on anything Tyler Perry related is beyond me. It really bugged me that he was in Star Trek.

I hope homey realizes Tyler Perry is not about the uplifting of black culture ...

But about catering to his audience.

Mostly women watch Tyler Perry movies, so he can't alienate them.

Getting a little deeper....some black women aren't qualified to be chosen by good well established men... be it weight, attitude, views on relationships etc....

So if you make the cats that are well paid the enemy, it furthers there comfort zone of dating down.... they can control that.. what can you say to a ballin *** dude that's cool as a fan but really dont need your yambs?

I did see one where Tyler Perry movie where he was a certified boss though...

I dont trip because even though people around me may soak up the stereotypes, I know that the extremes are what drives drama, and what keeps people buying his movies...

This ain't no charity, b.

Sorry for the rant.

Last edited:
I hope homey realizes Tyler Perry is not about the uplifting of black culture ...

Getting a little deeper....some black women aren't qualified to be chosen by good well established men... be it weight, attitude, views on relationships etc....

So if you make the cats that are well paid the enemy, it furthers there comfort zone of dating down.... they can control that.. what can you say to a ballin *** dude that's cool as a fan but really dont need your yambs?

I dont trip because even though people around me may soak up the stereotypes, I know that the extremes are what drives drama, and what keeps people buying his movies...

Sorry for the rant.

I think myself, the dude who wrote the article, and most intelligent people also know that the stereotypes he's depicting aren't true and he's just using them to create drama/cater to his current viewers. However, the young and less intelligent are taking the stereotypes to heart, and the ramifications of this are detrimental to our culture. You're right, it's not a charity, but he needs to be ashamed of himself for taking advantage of the minds of the young and the unintelligent in order to make a profit, while instilling in them false senses of identity and halting cultural progress. He'll never stop his behavior, so we as a people need to make his behavior unprofitable so that he'll be forced to stop.

Sorry for the rant.

This.

Not only does he have to cater to his audience, he has to cater to Hollywood. It's no secret Hollywood is, shall we say selective about how minorities are portrayed. Without Will Smith aboard, he's going to have trouble getting a film greenlit about the successful attractive black man, handling business, taking care of his family.

I worked for TPS so i may have a bias. I personally may not be a fan of his work but I have tremendous respect for his hard work. If you don't like his films or how he portrays African Americans you should write TPS in Atlanta.

He employs a lot of people, mostly African Americans. He also has a lot of fans. Let him live

all im saying is you can devote your energy better than looking to tear down a successful man. but hey thats just me

'Good Deeds', though corny, didn't portray successful black people in a bad light imo. I mean, sure his mom was a snob, but dude was pretty legit I think. Well...besides cheating on G. Union. but that's another story, broke ****** cheat every day haha

he had that one movie the family that preys, i thought that was pretty good

I dont like the madea s!!!

other than that, i really dont know much else about him

that show on tnt/tbs that stems from the broadway show aint appealing to me...idk, my thoughts.

I worked for TPS so i may have a bias. I personally may not be a fan of his work but I have tremendous respect for his hard work. If you don't like his films or how he portrays African Americans you should write TPS in Atlanta.

He employs a lot of people, mostly African Americans. He also has a lot of fans. Let him live

all im saying is you can devote your energy better than looking to tear down a successful man. but hey thats just me

The auto shops also employed a lot of African Americans. They obviously didn't have their best interests at heart. Look at Flint/Detroit.

The auto shops also employed a lot of African Americans. They obviously didn't have their best interests at heart. Look at Flint/Detroit.

just by you comparing Tyler Perry, a film maker, to an entire company in the auto industry who's economic impact effected men and woman of all races all over this country lets me know you're either ignorant, trolling, or just a confused young man looking to rage against something. grow up

Last edited:

just by you comparing Tyler Perry, a film maker, to an entire company in the auto industry who's economic impact effected men and woman of all races all over this country lets me know your either ignorant, trolling, or just a confused young man looking to rage against something. grow up

extremely ignorant. how are those two even remotely the same. smh

i watched the first madea play years back and that was enough for me.

i dont support his material but thats not enough of a reason to boycott against him. hes not that important, just a greedy dude eating off sheep.. no different than 99% of businesses...

Last edited:
i watched the first madea play years back and that was enough for me.

i dont support his material but thats not enough of a reason to boycott against him. hes not that important, just a greedy dude eating off sheep.. no different than 99% of businesses...

and 99.9% of Hollywood

Back
Top Bottom