An Open Letter To Tyler Perry About His Portrayal of Successful Blacks

Is The Article Correct? Should Viewers Boycott His Movies Until He Produces A More Realistic Portrayal?

• Yes, I agree with the article. But we shouldn't boycott his movies.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't agree with the article. We shouldn't boycott his movies.

• Yes, I agree with the article. We should boycott his movies.

• No, I don't agree with the article. But we should boycott his movies.

• Total voters
+1knowledge TP banking with a lot of dudes that hate him and his work. Not even sure why I should feel offended. He's effecting my life?

Last edited:
I agree but you can't tell the crabs nothing. They think like this and a vast majority listen to rap which can be said has just if not more of an overall negative image. I guess since it appeals to them its okay. I don't get why we as a whole seem to always find some way to hate on sucessful black folks stuffs disgusting. I don't care if dudes don't like it cause I don't like most of his films but all the extra stuff get outta here. His movies are why chicks acting up, blacks in poverty, and/or anything else negative. Dudes need to find out why they are such haters and if his movies aren't that good F it make something better that cats will want to see that way you should make beaucoup $$$ since its soo wide open.

Okay, I am actually starting to rage :lol: Are you serious? So we're crabs because we want our race to hold itself with INTEGRITY and SELF RESPECT? We're crabs because we want to portray an image that SUCCESSFUL BLACK MEN can be good people?! We're crabs for that? How does your brain work?!

My entire life I was taught, "Much is required from those to whom much is given." I'm not religious, but that biblical verse (Luke 12:48) makes a lot of sense. I worked with impoverished youth of all colors at the Boys and Girls Club for 5 years and now I'm actually part of program that places underrepresented minorities in internships/careers in areas like high finance (investment banking, sales and trading, etc), engineering, etc. Really building up minorities from the ground up and placing us on equal footing with people who had opportunities throughout their lives that weren't available to us. If you're calling me a CRAB then you don't know a damn thing. YOU disgust ME.
Lol you starting to rage well good you must feel you are one of the crabs and only crabs would feel rage. I stated I don't like his stuff but all the extra stuff some people do is just hating simple and plain. I also don't care about your resume I'm not trying to hire you for nothing. Good for you you doing something positive but it still doesn't make what I said earlier any less relevant. IF IF IF IF IF (had to put it this many times cause you seemed emotional and definitely wasn't paying attention to nothing but what made you act like an emotional teenage girl) you don't like his work COOL but all the extra stuff when it feels personal I'm not with that and I would defend you, or anybody else when its just some ole pure hate stuff. I definitely talking to you and all the other blacks though that yall have to stop feeling inferior to other races. Yall can lie and say you don't but if you didn't you wouldn't be all he makes movies that make fun of us. SO are you like the characters in the movie? I assume not but your worried what the white man or some other person saying about you but your disgusted at me. You should be disgusted at yourself and your parents for not teaching you self love. I don't care if every movie is a clown fest its entertainment but doesn't rep me just because the people in it happen to be black. WE ARE NOT A MONILITH and yall with this thinking need to get it through yalls head and holler at the real problem folks that stereotype you off movies, rap, whatever. You don't disgust me but I do wish you didn't feel insecure. Peace

Why don't we rage against like rap music, gang culture, or something actually significant with the same vigor as we do Tyler Perry?

Like look at the dropout rates of our young men. Seems a millon times more important than this Tyler Perry discussion that seems to always stay at the forefront for years.

Why don't we rage against like rap music, gang culture, or something actually significant with the same vigor as we do Tyler Perry?

Like look at the dropout rates of our young men. Seems a millon times more important than this Tyler Perry discussion that seems to always stay at the forefront for years.

I'm so down, bruh. Let's do it.

Or maybe we could just tell TP to put more middle class blacks pretending to be and glorifying drug dealers and ****** pouring champagne on ******* and shooting each other over colors and we'll eat that **** up then. He should intern for Hype Williams

Last edited:

Because anyone who says anything negative (no matter how true it is) about the black community is either labeled a racist (non-black) or Uncle Tom (black).

Or maybe we could just tell TP to put more drug dealers and ****** pouring champagne on ******* and shooting each other over colors and we'll eat that **** up then. He should intern for Hype Williams
Exactly this right here is why I say dudes are mostly haters cause alot of the same dudes complaining will listen and try to imitate rap stuff but then their moral compass draws the line at TP. I can't take that junk serious anyway (hating on TP and other successful blacks for "clowning") but definitely not from those with the shaky moral compasses.

I hope homey realizes Tyler Perry is not about the uplifting of black culture ...

But about catering to his audience.

Mostly women watch Tyler Perry movies, so he can't alienate them.

Getting a little deeper....some black women aren't qualified to be chosen by good well established men... be it weight, attitude, views on relationships etc....

So if you make the cats that are well paid the enemy, it furthers there comfort zone of dating down.... they can control that.. what can you say to a ballin *** dude that's cool as a fan but really dont need your yambs?

I did see one where Tyler Perry movie where he was a certified boss though...

I dont trip because even though people around me may soak up the stereotypes, I know that the extremes are what drives drama, and what keeps people buying his movies...

This ain't no charity, b.

Sorry for the rant.

This.

Not only does he have to cater to his audience, he has to cater to Hollywood. It's no secret Hollywood is, shall we say selective about how minorities are portrayed. Without Will Smith aboard, he's going to have trouble getting a film greenlit about the successful attractive black man, handling business, taking care of his family.

don't sugarcoat it, hollywood is racist. tyler perry i believe is releasing these films with lionsgate because they were the only studio that would sign him to a multi movie contract, i think other studios were def not trying to mess with dude.

same goes for george lucas and red tails

same goes for danny glover.

the big studios don't want to market a major film with a positive black story.

i've never seen a TP movie. saw a play when i was a kid, wasn't finding it funny tho. the show is trash :smh: thats all i can say about that. but i haven't heard one good thing about TP movies (hell i still have mixed feelings about Precious, even tho he only produced it). dude has been putting out movies left and right it seems and ive always heard the same complaints...yet the black community is EATING those films up. what am i to make of that?

^^ That a certain demo is eating it up not all blacks or else this thread and all the countless others wouldn't be made. Why everytime you post you come off like you are an exceptional __________ ? I don't know why but you just remind me of some of my anonying associates I chill with every now and then. Must be that TU in yall cause they went there too. Weird my sis went there and she don't act like this but I guess since it was only 1yr before transferring to Penn she was saved.

^^ That a certain demo is eating it up not all blacks or else this thread and all the countless others wouldn't be made. Why everytime you post you come off like you are an exceptional __________ ? I don't know why but you just remind me of some of my anonying associates I chill with every now and then. Must be that TU in yall cause they went there too. Weird my sis went there and she don't act like this but I guess since it was only 1yr before transferring to Penn she was saved.

everytime? exceptional _____? me? i've never gotten that until now. so im not really sure how to respond to that. there are people less fortunate than me so i try to live my life with that mind always if thats what you mean? also TU has the highest percentage of blacks in the student body compared to UPenn or Penn State...

im just pointing out an observation dog, no need to catch feelings. a tyler perry thread on NT? the same things people are saying now, are the same things people have said before in prev threads. tyler perry this tyler perry that. i've had friends (black women) who've given me negative reviews on tyler perry movies. yet the one theater in north philadelphia that shows all his movies sells out of tickets. why? yea its not all blacks, no ****. but its not a few people watching his movies. the man has plays, massive lionsgate contract and...what 2 shows i think on TBS? he's rich, and you get that rich only by having a sizable audience.

people like you remind me of that episode in season 2 of boondocks, when huey was the only one who wasn't excited about obama becoming president, and was lambasted by the black community for it. i question some **** and immediately im an uppity ___. i guess i shouldn't share my feelings on worldstar at the risk of getting called an uncle tom or something.

Last edited:

everytime? exceptional _____? me? i've never gotten that until now. so im not really sure how to respond to that. there are people less fortunate than me so i try to live my life with that mind always if thats what you mean? also TU has the highest percentage of blacks in the student body compared to UPenn or Penn State...

im just pointing out an observation dog, no need to catch feelings. a tyler perry thread on NT? the same things people are saying now, are the same things people have said before in prev threads. tyler perry this tyler perry that. i've had friends (black women) who've given me negative reviews on tyler perry movies. yet the one theater in north philadelphia that shows all his movies sells out of tickets. why? yea its not all blacks, no ****. but its not a few people watching his movies. the man has plays, massive lionsgate contract and...what 2 shows i think on TBS? he's rich, and you get that rich only by having a sizable audience.

people like you remind me of that episode in season 2 of boondocks, when huey was the only one who wasn't excited about obama becoming president, and was lambasted by the black community for it. i question some **** and immediately im an uppity ___. i guess i shouldn't share my feelings on worldstar at the risk of getting called an uncle tom or something.
Nope why would I catch feelings cause I accused you of acting how it comes off on NT from post I've saw of yours. Maybe you should take your own advice and not catch feelings cause just because I asked you a question doesn't mean I'm mad, catching feelings, or anything else. If that makes you sleep better F it I caught feelings ok. You ask silly questions imo and they have a certain tone about them like you don't know jack spit about black people but you claim to be black I don't like that. I asked you about the exceptional part cause in this and I think its was the dating thread you asked questions that most black people that I know from differing backgrounds but you seem sooo off the grid on them. Thats why I asked you cause I'm trying to give you the benefit of not being stupid so I just rather assume you want to be one of those exceptional ______ . Thats all take it how you want it.

Oh to answer your question about the movie come on that theather is in the hood (even though they are building it up) with alot of his demo of women/church going people going to support. You definitely can't be that dumb so I'll keep thinking you want to be accepted by others. I don't give a you know where you go if I see something that makes me comment on it negatively/positively thats what I'm going to do. Cats have to stop thinking they are so special that people care about them outside discussion of the topic at hand.

I may not find some of his stuff to be that good, but Im not raging against him and boycotting him. Thats exactly what the "man" wants. Im not in Tyler's demo. The movies arent for me. Neither are katherine heigl's movies or jennifer aniston. How come they dont get this backlash. TP isnt doing any more harm to the black culture than BET has done for years, or VH1 etc. Comedy is a persons personal opinion. Some people find house of payne etc funny. Ive laughed a couple times, but the show isnt as bad as half the crap that features predominately white casts.

Point is, without Tyler, there would be 4-5 black actors getting consistent work. ( Will, Denzel, Anthony Mackie, Morgan and SLJ). SO for that reason alone, idc how bad his stuff is, hes giving us work. So I wont wish him any ill will. Hes making money, and employing alot of black people. Who cares if his movies suck. Theres more to life than entertainment.

as for spike, im 50/50 on him. He doesnt see the bigger picture with Tyler and he really should just leave him be and focus on his on work.

at the bottom of the article it said, " is TP good for black cinema"? The F. he is black cinema.

Last edited:
I may not find some of his stuff to be that good, but Im not raging against him and boycotting him. Thats exactly what the "man" wants. Im not in Tyler's demo. The movies arent for me. Neither are katherine heigl's movies or jennifer aniston. How come they dont get this backlash. TP isnt doing any more harm to the black culture than BET has done for years, or VH1 etc. Comedy is a persons personal opinion. Some people find house of payne etc funny. Ive laughed a couple times, but the show isnt as bad as half the crap that features predominately white casts.

Point is, without Tyler, there would be 4-5 black actors getting consistent work. ( Will, Denzel, Anthony Mackie, Morgan and SLJ). SO for that reason alone, idc how bad his stuff is, hes giving us work. So I wont wish him any ill will. Hes making money, and employing alot of black people. Who cares if his movies suck. Theres more to life than entertainment.

as for spike, im 50/50 on him. He doesnt see the bigger picture with Tyler and he really should just leave him be and focus on his on work.

i've noticed that too. its a fair point, and i've felt that a bunch of black actors get overlooked but are really good at their craft.... BET, MTV and VH1 are all the same imo i've never really cared for them, those reality shows are ridiculous. its all popular tho so w.e i guess...

Last edited:
Havent watched his movies in years. I wont support that garbage.

this is what I dont get. We wont support our own garbage, be we will readily support white hollywood's garbage. Unless all you watch are oscar calibre movies, chances are youve done this. Now not saying you have to see his movies, but dont say dumb stuff like that. Just Im not a fan would suffice

Last edited:
I really cant be mad at tyler, even though his film work is very annoying... I'm more mad at the support hes gets compared to black directors like John Singleton and Steve McQueen for example... American mainstream really gets on your nerves sometimes, the masses always seems to support the crappiest stuff or the agenda is just to strong to counteract...

Back
Top Bottom