"And in this 2008 NBA Draft, the Wizards select..."

yea the wiz are dissapointing me right about now....but answer me this is it just me or does big Z travel everytime he gets the ball in the post.....and whenare they gonna start calling charges on lebron? dude would damn near foul out every game, he just runs thru folks....its crazy lol

Originally Posted by jupeezy

yea the wiz are dissapointing me right about now....but answer me this is it just me or does big Z travel everytime he gets the ball in the post.....and when are they gonna start calling charges on lebron? dude would damn near foul out every game, he just runs thru folks....its crazy lol
Z traveled his a44 off on that one play
roll.gif
home call for sure..
But Bron... the dude is a Tight End with Wide Reciever speed... playing small forward....
laugh.gif

You cant stop um!
Haywood is done for a game.. possibly two.....David Stern rules are in FULL effect

Z traveled all of game 1 homie....LOL! and lebron is playing football out there....i still dont get why stevenson continutes to crowd him on defense....he isnta shooter, so y not give him a step or two...instead this bonehead is making him put the ball on the floor and go to the hoop, which is his strength...whatkinda scouting report do they have for the playoffs? LOL! give him 2 steps and play to ur help....you gotta contain a dude like that, dont play to hisstrengths

Z traveled all of game 1 homie....LOL! and lebron is playing football out there....i still dont get why stevenson continutes to crowd him on defense....he isnt a shooter, so y not give him a step or two...instead this bonehead is making him put the ball on the floor and go to the hoop, which is his strength...what kinda scouting report do they have for the playoffs? LOL! give him 2 steps and play to ur help....you gotta contain a dude like that, dont play to his strengths
Exactly my thoughts. Until Queen James can prove she can make the outside shot, give her the room.

Originally Posted by LakersRock20901

Z traveled all of game 1 homie....LOL! and lebron is playing football out there....i still dont get why stevenson continutes to crowd him on defense....he isnt a shooter, so y not give him a step or two...instead this bonehead is making him put the ball on the floor and go to the hoop, which is his strength...what kinda scouting report do they have for the playoffs? LOL! give him 2 steps and play to ur help....you gotta contain a dude like that, dont play to his strengths
Exactly my thoughts. Until Queen James can prove she can make the outside shot, give her the room.
Go and cheer for Kobe homie..... lol Watch for the hook Haywood... Ben Wallace got one for ya
wink.gif

yea they did....the verizon center was crazy last night....and the wiz looked like a completely different team....game 4 should be interesting....i will be inthe building....who else went last night?

i will post a few pics from last night too as soon as i get em uploaded...and harmcity they have always played that house at the end of games lol

I was there --- that game was crazy last night

I was surrounded by Cavs fans and it was great makin fun of all of them for being on the Lebron bandwagon (except for one dude, he had actual Ohio ID)

I'mma miss game 4 but if it comes back for game 6 I'm definately buying tickets

and makin a sign atogonizing Lebron in some way

2 pics from last night....went up top to get the full effect...

before....
314769369.jpg

after....during the intros.....the building was crazy last night...
314769366.jpg

Kill the playoff series related taunting. This thread is about the draft.

Honestly, as much as people say the Wizards need a big man... every team in the league would like a solid big man. I don't see it happening that late inthe first round. What they'll wind up getting is a stiff. Nbadraft.net, for example, projects Kosta Koufos today. Why don't we just go dig up MaciejLampe?

I hate to say it, but the Wizards need to trade Arenas for Elton Brand straight up. The trade works for both squads: both players are coming off injuries.Arenas has roots in LA and nearly went to the Clips instead of the Wizards, were it not for a coin flip. Arenas is better for attendance, and the Clippers havealways been about making money rather than winning games. Gil will sell jerseys and get your team in the news. He's also a couple years younger. TheClippers won't get anyone better for Brand than Arenas and vice versa. The Clippers, realistically, aren't competing next year. They're rebuildingand this gives them a draw and some actual talent in the backcourt, especially since you can't count on Livingston coming back and, let's face it, hewas never the player the they billed him as to begin with. Chris Caveman had a career first half of the season without Brand and they've got a potentialyoung star in Al Thornton. They'll probably try to swing Maggette for a draft pick plus ballast.

The Wizards should take a point guard in the draft, like DJ Augustin, if he's available. Antonio Daniels is getting on in years and we need a point guardto distribute and defend. Roger Mason has been playing pretty well and is a great value at his salary. If you get Brand and bring back Jamison, I think youhave a team to be reckoned with. Send Stevenson to the bench, start Daniels, Butler at the two, Jamison at the 3, Brand at power forward (or center againstsmaller teams) and Haywood. Your second unit is Mason (or someone like Augustin), Stevenson, Blatche, Songaila, and Etan Thomas. Could be worse. The Wizardsshould've held on to Navarro or, at least, received more in return than a 2nd round pick. How sorry is it to get fleeced by the GRIZZLIES?

The goal is to win a championship, and that's not happening with a jumpshooting team that can't get easy shots. When they had their greatest success,they ATTACKED the basket constantly and went to the line. They gambled in the passing lanes to get easy transition baskets. It's not the best play style(ask Denver) but it works in the regular season.

Now, they're all too willing to settle for a jumpshot and get away from the offense -and when Arenas goes in it's every man for himself. I like Arenas,but it's time to move on - especially if you can bring back an Elton Brand. Finally, the Wizards would have some post offense to open up the perimeter anda defensive anchor to help, hopefully, change the character of this team. Fire Eddie Jordan, bring in Paul Silas or Tom Thibodeau. Get tough; play freakingdefense.

^
I feel we would be OK without Arenas too... coming from a big Arenas fan (before all the talk, blogging, attention seeking tactics, big head comments). Oncedude became an "All-Star" he just got big headed and doesn't focus on the GAME imo. The injury has apparently plagued his game too and he mightrecover but who knows. Wizards did fine without him... Really I give it up to Eddie Jordan. Dude is a hell of a coach and I feel he can take a decent playerand make them a good or great player on his team (hence the reason again... I think someone else can step up for Arenas).

Personally what I like to see is Caron carrying the load for the team with some help from others... as much as I would like a "big man" I ratherkeep Haywood starting. I like the way dude play and he is consistently improving. Then get rid of Eatan Thomas or anyone else off the bench for anotherconsistent big man with out a big name (cant think of an example) to help Haywood off the bench.

THEN I WOULD LOVE TO SEE Andre Iguodala come to Washington DC!
happy.gif
I sayIguodala because dude has been balling and if im not mistaking will be available. I would imagine someone like him could help Jamison at least attempt to getsome boards (seems like Jamison the only one that goes up for boards) and put up a few points, give that strong presence down low and go in for those powerfuldunks that sometime are needed to spark the team or crowd up too (among other things he do).

Aigggggght... so very similiar to the set-up Meth mentioned (above ^) but instead of Brand I would rather see Iguodala. Mason/Young/Stevenson (in that ordertoo lol... unless Stevenson can learn to play without jacking up 3s, passing more, and staying focus), Caron, Jamison, Iguodala, and Haywood.

Dunno. Again... probably don't matter because Eddie Jordan has shown again and again that he will make anyone work and become a better player... dude beenconsistent. He has gotten the team to the Playoffs (even if its by a hair) but once we are at the Playoffs its up to the players to step it up!!!

I like Iggy's game, but with the salary cap such as it is your mantra has to be 'the right player at the right price.' Iguodala is NOT a #1 guy andhe's proving that in this year's playoffs. In making him a max player, you're setting your ceiling too low because you won't be able tosurround him, as a max guy, with the talent needed to win a championship. There's always going to be an idiot out there to overpay. The smartest movesErnie Grunfeld ever made, aside from the Kwame Brown trade (which proved once and for all that it WAS possible to turn Kwame into an All Star), were to letLarry Hughes and Jared Jeffries walk. I was never a fan of Jeffries and Grunfeld saved Eddie Jordan from himself by letting him bounce, as Jordan suffered fromthe inexplicable delusion that Jeffries was a defensive stopper and a key part of the rotation. Those are two problem contracts, just as Etan Thomas is now aproblem contract for DC. You won't be able to move him until he's in the last year of his deal, and even then you're likely better off keeping thecap room for yourself. So, count on Etan being here for the duration of his deal.

Caron Butler is your #1 or #2 option - and he's an INCREDIBLE value at his current salary. Jamison's a free agent, probably willing to accept a pay cutbut if someone wants to overpay you have to be prepared to let him leave. You don't commit the entire cap to an insufficient core. You look at how theSpurs built their team, for example. They had the opportunity to get Jason Kidd a few years back. They committed to Tony Parker instead, and that allowed themto re-sign Ginobli and continue to add complementary role players. There are only a couple of players in the league really worth max money. They have to be #1guys on championship caliber teams. Dirk Nowitski, for example, will never be the #1 guy on a championship team in my opinion. Dallas has to blow that team upnow. The Wizards need to maintain flexibility and only commit the full cap if they're confident in their core players.

Iguodala and Butler play the same basic position.. and the problem is that Butler is a MUCH better value. He's an all star level player playing for amid-range salary. Usually, that only happens when you're in the same position as the Hornets, where your best player is still running on a rookie deal.When it's time for him to re-up, they'll have to lose somebody like Peja as a result. So, I don't see it working. Iguodala strikes me as a glueplayer. He'll fill in the gaps, help you in a variety of ways, but rarely will he take over a game when it really counts - and that's a vital qualityfor a max player.

Now, Josh Smith is also a free agent, I believe. I wouldn't say he's worth max money, either, and the Hawks are less likely to accept a Gilbert Arenassign and trade given their commitment to Joe Johnson. I believe Bibby's deal expires at the end of the year, though, so the window isn't necessarilyclosed on that. Smith has been inconsistent, but he does have many of the qualities the Wizards currently lack. He's an explosive athlete and he has gamechanging presence on the defensive end. On the downside, he doesn't have a reliable post offense - as Brand does - and he's been prone to tempertantrums in the past, which is a problem we certainly don't need any more of.

The Wizards problem, to me, has been inconsistency. They're a jumpshooting team and when they get cold, they lose. Brand gives you that anchor in the lowpost capable of producing high percentage shots and making life easier for perimeter players. He'll also spring Haywood, similar to how KG's presenceresults in a lot of easy dunks for Perk in Boston. There will be times when the team misses Arenas. He'll help give you a fun locker room, keep peopleloose, and of course you get plenty of drama and spectacular performances.. but you're gambling. I'd rather have a 50% shot with the game on the linethan a 40% shot, and that's the difference between an Elton Brand and a Gilbert Arenas - and that's to say nothing of the defensive end and stabilityyou'll get, just from a mental standpoint, from an Elton Brand - and this is coming from someone who can't stand Duke.

Meth I agree with everythin you said but the Spurs threw big money at Kidd but he decided to re-sign with the Nets

Meth,

You are screaming Elton's name 7 years too late -- although I'd have to check and see if that's the best realistic option possible for us if we areforced to lose Gil.

Although both are coming off injuries, I am sure that Gil's was a little less severe.

As any half-way insider knows, Elton became a Clipper -- instead of a Wizard -- before the 2001 NBA Draft. Another great documented MJ in the front officemove.

Like Denver, I don't think we'll ever be competitive enough in the East with Jordan's system -- unless we get some defenders to contribute. Idon't believe in "stoppers" anymore, but a few guys who can anchor consistent team defense and TOUGHNESS would help us, even as reserves. Wehave had the "who's that" reserves for YEARS (don't comment "Rockdeep").

We also need to look out for a Caron "sit out." His contract does not add up to the way he's developed. I don't use the word"deserve" often when it comes to athletes, but I think he deserves to have his contract restructured.

I'm on the fense about point guards coming out of college (unless its a sure top 5 pick). I'd rather have a proven young vet, or a banger.

My vote is still for Dorsey.

You are screaming Elton's name 7 years too late
As Bullets fans know, you can't turn back the clock on mistakes. Obviously you're better off with Brand in 2001 than Kwame. The Bulls,I'm sure, regret trading a 20/10 guy for a player who didn't average that in high school - though of those three big men Chandler's the only onewho'll ever be part of a contending team.

Elton Brand is still one of the most talented big men in the game - and good luck finding a more talented big man who's AVAILABLE right now. You'reNOT going to find Brand's equal, even at his current age, in the late first round - that's for damn sure. Brand's 29, only 3 years older thanGilbert. He still has 4 years of solid production left. This isn't a Ben Wallace in his twilight proposition we're talking about. You sign him to a4 year deal. He doesn't have to be the #1 guy on the Wizards - a luxury he's NEVER had before - which should ease some of the wear and tear that comesfrom carrying a franchise. So, you've got an All Star player still playing at near peak for the life of the deal and then you've got cap room whenit's over. I don't see age as a limiting factor here. At the end of the deal, he's one year older than Tim Duncan is today. So, no, I don'tthink it's too late to get a top big man with veteran savvy and a drive to win a championship even if it means sacrificing individually.

Young teams are overrated. In today's NBA, you don't have the opportunity to keep a core group together for 8 years the way you could in the 80'sand early 90's. Realistically, you're looking at a 5 year window with any particular group.

If you want a big man, there's three ways to get one: through free agency, through the draft, or through a trade. Are there any big men out there on thefree agent market for the Wizards to grab? Josh Smith, Emeka Okafor, and Paul Millsap are restricted free agents. It's likely that their current teamswill retain them at market value. Unrestricted, who's out there? O'Neal and Brand - but only if they exercise their ETOs. Kwame Brown? Didn'tthink so. The '09 free agent class is fool's gold, because you know guys like Chris Paul are gonna re-up and take that extra year. Nobody can paythem more than their current teams under the current CBA.

What are you gonna get in post-lottery first round? More than likely, you're not getting your starting 4 or 5. Trade up? You've gotta take a lot ofgarbage salary back to make that deal work, unless you trade to somebody under the cap like the Bobcats. Are you gonna trade Arenas for Ben Gordon and the #9? I'd rather have Brand. With rookies, you lease 'em for 3 years and then you've got a decision to make: max them out if they're stars, whichmeans you've gotta let one of your current starters walk, or you get nothing back and you just spent 3 years developing somebody for another squad. If yougo with a rookie as your savior, then you'd better hope you can win NOW. You won't get their best until they develop and, in most cases, thatwon't be until they're on their second contract - at which point you've gotta pay Butler what he's worth, which means letting Jamison go. Let's get a veteran team together for a 3-4 year stint of contention, bring Andray Blatche & company along in the background to take the reigns whenthat's over.

What are your options with an Arenas sign and trade? Artest? I'd rather have Butler. Jermaine O'Neal? He has far less left in the tank than Brand,if the past two years have offered any indication. Arenas to the Lakers is a media fantasy; I don't see LA offering Odom and you'd think Bynum wasKupchak's first born son. Who else is out there and available? Who else is willing to step in as a #2 or #3 guy, who will anchor the defense, and whoplays with the intensity and heads up veteran savvy the Wizards desperately need? For me, Brand is the best opportunity available for this team - in 2008.

Back
Top Bottom