Another star goes broke vol. Allen Iverson

Originally Posted by loskickking23

I wouldn't say he was a horrible human being... He was just a young $&?!@ with money... And like others said , I highly doubt he is completely broke

you serious?  he skipped charity events for kids who were dying, was banned from Friday's on City Line Ave for his behavior and stiffing the waiter/waitress regularly, he beat his wife on more than one occasion, he is extremely rude to his fans...I can't even begin to tell you how good the Sixers were at covering half this crap up and limiting the damage control needed.
KARMA IS A _____ 

That's my man & all but all that money he made & he ALL of it is blown??
mad.gif

No  sympathy for that but there's no way AI is TOTALLY broke, there's a always a side to these stories that the public doesn't know about.

Originally Posted by StillIn729

I wouldn't say he was a horrible human being... He was just a young $&?!@ with money... And like others said , I highly doubt he is completely broke

you serious?  he skipped charity events for kids who were dying, was banned from Friday's on City Line Ave for his behavior and stiffing the waiter/waitress regularly, he beat his wife on more than one occasion, he is extremely rude to his fans...I can't even begin to tell you how good the Sixers were at covering half this crap up and limiting the damage control needed.
KARMA IS A _____ 
QFT but, in before:
"yeah but he had a hard upbringing"

"the media made that up"

"He crossed Jordan though"

"he deserves a second chance"

KARMA IS A _____ 

Dude,, we get it. he slept with your girlfriend. You dnt like him. get over it. I can tell you occasions ive had with AI where he was a cool guy.  Came to my school once. cool guy. Came to a charity thanksgiving event my church had a few years ago and brought some players. Good guy. He abused his wife, ok the guy had issues with his drinking. Who are you to cast the first stone  

WITNESSkb24 wrote:
StillIn729 wrote:
loskickking23 wrote:

KARMA IS A _____ 

QFT but, in before:

"the media made that up"

that's the proper response to any AI criticism as far as I'm concerned

KARMA IS A _____ 
Did A.I. not tip your mom properly at Friday's?

Why are you so emotionally invested in hating a guy that you have never met before? Yes he had his problems, but you're wishing negative energy and pain to someone you don't know and will never know. I guarantee Iverson has done more for the community of Philadelphia than your whole family combine. I'm not a huge fan of his either, but your sodium level is extremely high right now.

Come off of your high horse.

It's sad but face it, this only confirms what a lot of those who thought he was "too hip hop" for the NBA always believed. He's just another street so and so who came up through playing basketball and he will fall back to where he came from given his background. I personally think it's sad he wasn't smarter with his money, but he also did this to himself in part due to his ego and not being a team player.

Rediculous. 
These guys have to realize that even with the $10million dollar house paid for, the $7K electric bill will be hard to pay each month when the cash flow stops at 33 years young.
Somebody's got to start showing these young millionares how to live off of the interest of their fortunes.

you AI jock riders are pathetic; trying to act like "I don't like him but..."

blakep and moonman...you can throw insults at me all you like (just your way of having no real argument I get that) but that doesn't excuse AI being a bad human being and I actually have meet AI numerous times; I don't need to justify anything to you but I had a close friend who worked for the Sixers and is good friends with Pat Croce so know what you are talking about before you come at me.

I guarantee Iverson has done more for the community of Philadelphia than your whole family combine.

roll.gif
roll.gif

I HIGHLY doubt it. Do I know Iverson personally? No. But I've been around him plenty of times. The only things Iverson did were when he HAD to do them, and even then he didn't care. 

Originally Posted by blakep267

Dude,, we get it. he slept with your girlfriend. You dnt like him. get over it. I can tell you occasions ive had with AI where he was a cool guy.  Came to my school once. cool guy. Came to a charity thanksgiving event my church had a few years ago and brought some players. Good guy. He abused his wife, ok the guy had issues with his drinking. Who are you to cast the first stone  
What kind of moral compass do you have?  I would say most of us find abusing your wife a bad, disgusting thing.  The criticism is justified.  Just because he played basketball doesn't get him a pass.  Seems like he has earned a bad reputation.

Dude was down here in Charlotte partying it up during CIAA while using his daughter as an excuse to miss a few games.

Straight scumbag move.

Originally Posted by stevielips

I guarantee Iverson has done more for the community of Philadelphia than your whole family combine.
roll.gif
roll.gif

I HIGHLY doubt it. Do I know Iverson personally? No. But I've been around him plenty of times. The only things Iverson did were when he HAD to do them, and even then he didn't care. 

very true, Croce had to literally force him to do these things and you can see the decline it took once Croce left the Sixers organization.

roll.gif
roll.gif

very true, Croce had to literally force him to do these things and you can see the decline it took once Croce left the Sixers organization.

What's your point?

He still did it.... You don't know what he did behind closed doors, you don't know what type of things he did on his own, you don't know all the charity work he had to do within his own circles... But because he skipped out on taking a couple pictures with some sick kids he deserves to burn in hell.
laugh.gif

He was immature and had ultimately had to pay for his actions, but your persecuting the man as if he left you and your mother alone broke and hungry in the middle of the night.

Originally Posted by shogun

What kind of moral compass do you have?  I would say most of us find abusing your wife a bad, disgusting thing.  The criticism is justified.  Just because he played basketball doesn't get him a pass.  Seems like he has earned a bad reputation.

Oh Im not saying he is an angel. but what Im saying is he has issues, like every other person in the world. I used the good stuff to counteract the other guy's point. he abused his wife. is that ok? no not even. but I know Im not perfect and Im not going to judge him for his actions and hate him because he's not nice to fans.

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

roll.gif
roll.gif

What's your point?

He still did it.... You don't know what he did behind closed doors, you don't know what type of things he did on his own, you don't know all the charity work he had to do within his own circles... But because he skipped out on taking a couple pictures with some sick kids he deserves to burn in hell.
laugh.gif

He was immature and had ultimately had to pay for his actions, but your persecuting the man as if he left you and your mother alone broke and hungry in the middle of the night.

charity work within in his own circles? 
laugh.gif

please explain what I highlighted; I will wait why you dig your hole deeper.

it's sad that so many pro athletes go broke after a few years of easing back, considering the fact that just the interest they could get on money earned should easily help one keep up a high-end lifestyle...

Originally Posted by Antidope

I dont understand why people say they cant feel bad. he is human. I personally dont care about the money aspect, but the fact that he's turned to alchoholism and has lost his family is what is sad to me.
Exactly. Its not even about the money, the guy blew almost 200 million dollars nothing can be said there, its the way he went out that really gets me. He should be:
A. Allowed to retire as an NBA player
B. Allowed to retire as a Sixer
C. Given a chance to contribute to the NBA in some way shape or form.

The NFL always does this. They find room for first ballot HoF players doing stuff other than playing all the time, and it means next to nothing how much they wyled out while they were playing, the NBA has done next to nothing to try and accommodate AI. Its to the point where one of the greatest basketball players of all time is an afterthought and in some circles a joke and it just isnt right to me. He brought a lot of it on himself no doubt, but hes AI, now that hes humbled he'd prob take it all like a man.

Every NBA team has 1 player who they could release to make room for AI, pretty sure every NBA team has one player who AIs flat out better than. I also didnt limit it to just playing, you mean to tell me an NBA team (philly in particular) doesnt have room for AI on staff? He cant be an assistant coach? He cant commentate? He cant get a shot at being an analyst? He cant do something?
I think he's humbled and would accept any role hes given. I know they owe him nothing but they should just do it, its AI.
IF AND ONLY IF HE CAN OVERCOME HIS FEAR OF WEARING A SUIT
grin.gif

Originally Posted by 0cks

Here's another article about getting black balled in the NBA... 
Don't cross David Stern 

This story appears in the March 8 issue of ESPN The Magazine. 

Since the trade deadline just passed, some of you are probably wondering why your team shipped a guy out of town. Money is one reason guys get traded. So is talent. But there's a quicker way to be kicked to the curb in the NBA: getting blackballed. 

I see it a lot. Take T.J. Ford, for example. He might be on his way, through no fault of his own. The guy had a career year last year, yet he was on the bench for a month -- and he wasn't injured. Players have been buzzing about him lately, wondering why one of the best guys on the Pacers isn't playing much. It could be anything. I know of a situation in which a starter got benched because the owner's son is friends with the guy who replaced him.  

Stuff like that happens all the time, and it's not always the coaches making the decision. Sometimes it comes from above. I'm pretty sure, for example, that Javaris Crittenton will be blackballed after his gun incident with Gilbert Arenas. Gilbert is a former All-Star with a big contract. He'll play again. But most players think Javaris is done, that GMs won't touch him. That's just wrong. 

On the plane just the other day we were talking about how guys disappear: How Antoine Walker, Stephon Marbury, Bonzi Wells and Steve Francis were franchise players one day, out of the league the next. You never know where it comes from. It could be owners getting together to decide no one is going to offer a guy a contract (yes, it happens). Or it could come down from the commissioner. David Stern is not a man you want to cross.  

Stern is not a man you want to cross.  

The main thing that gets you blackballed in the NBA is being a bad influence on young players -- bad-mouthing the coach or refusing to listen to him, living the high life. If you're a veteran pulling young guys into that world, your days are numbered. GMs are wary of guys like that. They do all kinds of research before signing you, like talking to your high school coach and grade school teachers. The model organization is San Antonio. They hardly ever sign a guy who gets in trouble. And if they do, the guy shapes right up. If a GM thinks you're taking young guys out, getting them drunk and hooking them up with women, he'll drop you. And he'll tell other league GMs why.  

Some guys who've been run out of the NBA, like Bonzi, are doing whatever they can for another shot. Bonzi is better than a lot of guys in the league but won't get a second chance because of his rep as a bad locker room guy. The NBA doesn't have a team like the Bengals that gives bad-rep guys another chance.  

Sad thing is, you see some of these guys who are out of the league -- like Francis, Antoine or Steph -- and they still act as if they're stars. They're still like, "I'm the man. It's never gonna go away." They dress the same and spend money like they're still making it. I hear a lot of guys are working out in Chicago, waiting for the phone to ring. But the NBA doesn't really give you a second shot once you've been blackballed. Stern has the power to say a guy is not welcome anymore. You also have GMs with jobs on the line who don't want to take a risk. Look at what happened when Isiah Thomas signed bad locker room guys like Zach Randolph. The Knicks imploded, and Thomas got fired.  

I think this Arenas incident scared a lot of players. But I'm not sure if it will change much. The phone number the NBA gives us to call if we're struggling with alcohol and other things isn't going to start ringing off the hook. Thing is, this wasn't the first time Gilbert messed up. The NBA told him to chill a couple years ago, but I don't think he took it seriously. Word around the league is that he's at home freaking out, calling the NBA every five minutes to fix things, afraid it all might disappear.  

Funny enough, I haven't heard much about guys acting up this season. The Hawks used to be notorious for partying before they got Joe Johnson and got good. They had guys like Antoine, who would go out to clubs and go wild. It wasn't until they got rid of the bad influences that they started playing well. And you can usually tell who the bad influences are just by looking at how often a guy gets traded. If he's been moved five times, it probably doesn't have anything to do with creating cap room or getting good value. He's got an attitude problem, and his bosses sent him packin'.  

Player X is an NBA star. This is his second column in a series of unfiltered looks into the lives of professional athletes. 

I believe this unless your a Kobe or Lebron. Dwanye wade or somebody

Originally Posted by CreateDestroy

WITNESSkb24 wrote:
StillIn729 wrote:

KARMA IS A _____ 
QFT but, in before:

"the media made that up"

that's the proper response to any AI criticism as far as I'm concerned

Jordan is not broke though.!

Back
Top Bottom