Any Accounting majors/accountants on NT?

So I've been training an intern and teaching her regular double journal entries. I explained to her that whoever receives is on the debit side while whoever gives is credit.

For ex. When writing journal entries in the bank, you credit the bank when you are taking out money. And debit the bank when recieving.

Basically debit is who receives and credit is who gives.

Then the opposite to complete the double entry. For example I work at MB so there is a payment entry then an invoice entry which is the opposite.

I only bring this up because it was asked earlier in the thread. Hope it helps.

This is only during expenses and which is the most common journal entry.

I also prefer to do it in person. It was just a way I explained it to them.

She had trouble with the entries. I found it easier when doing them in person than learning it.

I started out private..it becomes repetitious and mundane after a while..you learn something new Everyday in public

Imo i feel you should go public learn the field in and out then go private when you dont want to deal with the stress from public anymore..
Had this exact same experience. Would give the same advice.

I have a hard time following that. Also why are you teaching an intern journal entries lol?
The second part to this post :lol: I had to retake Managerial this semester due to some major life changes, which I'm happy about but last semester was just bad. This semester is kicking off to a great start and expecting a little one has made me want to grind harder. I've been doing a ton of reading and my current job right now is definitely taking its toll on me with how repetitive it is. I expect it'll be a bit hard to network & attending career/recruiting fairs, but I'm definitely going to try and be proactive as much as possible. I'll try even as far as getting into BAP if it means that I can land something big after I graduate and provide for my family while doing something I actually enjoy.

moderndarwin moderndarwin

Dude, she is like 18 or 19 and was having trouble with journal entries. There were cats in here having the same problem, it helped her and others that I've trained.

Definitely confusing rereading it tho :lol:

IF I knew finding a job would be this hard......

I've been there.

Went through a two year period were period where I was unemployed looking for a job.

Don't give up.

Put your resume on a job site like Indeed and apply to as many jobs as possible.

If your a recent grad try to see if someone at your business school can help you.

I've been there.

Went through a two year period were period where I was unemployed looking for a job.

Don't give up.

Put your resume on a job site like Indeed and apply to as many jobs as possible.

If your a recent grad try to see if someone at your business school can help you.

Yeah it's going on a year now. I did get a grunt work job at the IRS temporarily though earlier this year. That's the only luck I've had so far. Which really has nothing to do with accounting but I can kind of finesse the tax portion.

I'm on indeed. It's weird though I've went thru days of straight applying on indeed all day only to get NOTHING. And then emails like 3 months later talking about "we've selected someone else" lol

It feels like the only way I'm gonna get hired as if I know someone to put me on lol

Only thing looking promising is just moving up the GS levels in the IRS... :smh:

The business school at your college doesn't have a job board? delete1234 delete1234

You can also try accountemps and Robert Half.

Every single business has an accounting function. Literally everyone. You should ALWAYS have a job

Haven't been a full time student in years but I'm thinking about this as being my major...either this, Finance, or Economics.

Want to say Economics would be the best option of the 3, but requires longer schooling in order to utilize the degree.

Haven't been a full time student in years but I'm thinking about this as being my major...either this, Finance, or Economics.

Want to say Economics would be the best option of the 3, but requires longer schooling in order to utilize the degree.
Not true at all. You can pretty much jump into anything finance related with an Economics degree. Commercial/Corporate/Investment Banking, etc.

Currently enrolled in my first accounting course in grad school, will be skimming this thread.

started this fall back at my local community college for business..i plan on transfering to University of New Orleans eventually for Finance/Accounting...at the moment I do bookkeeping for a local start up importing business. Ive also opened my own bookkeeping business. I would love to get a Masters if possible down the road.

I'm tying to interview while still having a job. It's so hard - don't know how people do this. I've always interviewed when I'm out of work or through school so it's been easy to prep. Had an interview for a position just now and I kind of didn't do a good job. The interviewer asked me a lot about what I've specifically done on my public jobs and I couldn't really explain it. I feel like I don't have a great understanding of what I do (senior in public) so having to talk about revenue/this that etc I sound terrible over the phone. My work is high quality but I don't retain a lot of it I guess.

What position are you trying to interview for?

For those of you that are currently in public - hopefully you had good raises, etc.

I'm tying to interview while still having a job. It's so hard - don't know how people do this. I've always interviewed when I'm out of work or through school so it's been easy to prep. Had an interview for a position just now and I kind of didn't do a good job. The interviewer asked me a lot about what I've specifically done on my public jobs and I couldn't really explain it. I feel like I don't have a great understanding of what I do (senior in public) so having to talk about revenue/this that etc I sound terrible over the phone. My work is high quality but I don't retain a lot of it I guess.
You didn't prepare for that question at all? Did you practice for the interview?

You had to know that question was coming bro. Google "public accounting exit opportunities interviews" and see what ppl are saying. Copy and fit it to what you do.

Or you can just grab the job description off your company website :lol: Also make sure you highlight that you're basically a manager at this point. You deal with very little oversight. You run your jobs start to finish, you coach the lesser experienced associates through everything.

I did some basic prep but didn't have a detailed write down of what I've done at clients. I know I should of prepared more but the interview came up quickly (not a good excuse I know). I think the reality is that after two years here I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. I don't know any specific FASBs, haven't had to write any detailed memos, don't remember what testing we've done etc.

I'm also interviewing as a senior for experienced staff or revenue analyst level roles that pay similar to what I make now. I think I'm just a little discouraged about accounting/exit ops etc. I'll suck it up and prepare better.

I did some basic prep but didn't have a detailed write down of what I've done at clients. I know I should of prepared more but the interview came up quickly (not a good excuse I know). I think the reality is that after two years here I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. I don't know any specific FASBs, haven't had to write any detailed memos, don't remember what testing we've done etc.

I'm also interviewing as a senior for experienced staff or revenue analyst level roles that pay similar to what I make now. I think I'm just a little discouraged about accounting/exit ops etc. I'll suck it up and prepare better.
Nothing to be discouraged about bro. You know exactly what you did wrong, you gained experience in the interview & you'll be much better next time as a result.

You got better after that interview. Don't sweat it.

Everyone should take the trial-and-error approach to interviewing in general.

You prepare as best as you can and learn from the mistakes you make. Example: you got lost on one question, but now you know you can prepare for it next time.

Interviewing is like a skill; the more you do it, the better you get.

Back
Top Bottom