Any Accounting majors/accountants on NT?

Interviewing is definitely a skill. I haven't had many interviews but I have improved every interview, especially with behavioral questions. Analyzing how I did and ways to better improve has helped. PRACTICE is the key.

In other news...

I have a on campus interview this Thursday with a regional firm and I am having a hard time debating how to answer the "why public accounting, why audit/tax" type questions. I was thinking of saying something like public accounting is a better option than an industry job since it encompasses a lot more things and better experience to learn about businesses and industries in general and learn/improve a lot more technical and soft skills.

What did you guys in public answer to this?

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. I'll dust it off, work on better answers, and move on. I used to be so fire with interviewing before it got to this level.

For the public question you can say anything. Anything that encompasses: exposure to different clients, working as part of a team, learning something new every day

Well, apparently went well enoguh. Got second round/final round interviews at both places surprisingly. Am a lot better prepared I think + I do much better in person.

Update: Had an in person interview with one of them today and it went really well. Liked the vibe, the lack of turnover, the explosive growth, the level of responsibility and the fact that I'd be the first hire basically in building out the department from out sourced to becoming in house. Offer will likely be salary, bonus and equity if I get past the final round with the CFO. Thanks Nt - sometimes the simple words here go a long way to keep taking shots.

Last edited:
got my first job finally...making **** but I think they do a raise after a year or so. Do you guys recommend taking GMAT prep courses? and what is the most you think I should pay? my university is offering one for $560 Im ready to get into grad school to get that masters and CPA

Just to ask, is there a way to find grants or funds for schooling, mainly community college, if you temporarily messed up your financial aid?

Bump

Went to school for accounting last year but dropped out before I could get my feet wet.
Where my aspiring accountants at?

Just wanted to let my fellow accountants know, ya boy finally got his CPA license. :nthat:

For any of you who are having struggles with the exam like I did, don't get discouraged and keep at it.

Hopefully it won't take you as long to pass it as I did. :lol::smh:

I’m bout to quit and start my own business. This **** is boring :lol:

I’m thankful for the specialized tax knowledge I got out of it though. But I gotta gooooooo.

Talking to people who are passionate about their jobs and then coming back to this **** got me lookin in the mirror like I can’t do this no mo. LOL

Just started my first accounting class, I got a 80% on the HW quiz because it's one day late and I didn't think the professor had started assignments since the first week :lol: Question though, AJ pays its own taxes and has two owners = partnership right? It got marked as wrong...
Major bump but here I am 5 years later, married with a soon to be 4 year old and going back to school to finish my Bachelors in Accounting. Hitting this semester hard with Intermediate Acct I & Cost accounting with a third class. Wish me luck fam, hopefully Spring 2023 I graduate.

Major bump but here I am 5 years later, married with a soon to be 4 year old and going back to school to finish my Bachelors in Accounting. Hitting this semester hard with Intermediate Acct I & Cost accounting with a third class. Wish me luck fam, hopefully Spring 2023 I graduate.

what will you do with the accounting degree?

what will you do with the accounting degree?
Goal is to get into Audit within a Big 4, do 2-3 years to get some busy seasons under my belt then go private. I’ve got a buddy who’s an Audit Manager at a bank who’s giving me pointers and willing to recommend on my behalf.

Not a bad idea as it seems like most people go that route. I’m a manager in a top 10 firm in the tax practice myself. Big4 is a good experience however I don’t know if people actually realize how much of a grind the big4 is. Most people think they are ready until they have to grind 15 hours per day during busy season. And this remote work today is not good for a fresh grad. I see how much the new staff struggle. My peers on the audit side tell me the same thing.

Not a bad idea as it seems like most people go that route. I’m a manager in a top 10 firm in the tax practice myself. Big4 is a good experience however I don’t know if people actually realize how much of a grind the big4 is. Most people think they are ready until they have to grind 15 hours per day during busy season. And this remote work today is not good for a fresh grad. I see how much the new staff struggle. My peers on the audit side tell me the same thing.
The long hours during a busy season are something I'm coming to terms with especially after being in my current role in the medical device industry. I've grown accustomed to working ~50 hour weeks (before we were grinding 60-65) especially in an industry where the deadline is the difference between someone's surgery being cancelled or going.

during the pandemic, i was able to knock out the remaining accounting units that i was missing to sit in on cpa exam. i graduated yrs ago with business degree (marketing). made a switch to an accounting role for a small company
still trying to figure out if i want to pursue cpa. might just try and get with a smaller firm if i do go that route
i know there is going to be long hrs regardless
going to be that old guy with a bunch of fresh college grads :lol:

The long hours during a busy season are something I'm coming to terms with especially after being in my current role in the medical device industry. I've grown accustomed to working ~50 hour weeks (before we were grinding 60-65) especially in an industry where the deadline is the difference between someone's surgery being cancelled or going.

As long as you are okay with it. Plus the fact that you may be reporting to people younger than you. Those are two things people aren’t always ready for depending how old you are when you enter PA.

As long as you are okay with it. Plus the fact that you may be reporting to people younger than you. Those are two things people aren’t always ready for depending how old you are when you enter PA.
The age thing is definitely going to be interesting because when I start I’ll be 27 and more than likely as you said reporting to a 24/25 year old lol

The age thing is definitely going to be interesting because when I start I’ll be 27 and more than likely as you said reporting to a 24/25 year old lol

I started at 29 so for me it was real. But I had no issue personally as I was there to learn and be a sponge.

during the pandemic, i was able to knock out the remaining accounting units that i was missing to sit in on cpa exam. i graduated yrs ago with business degree (marketing). made a switch to an accounting role for a small company
still trying to figure out if i want to pursue cpa. might just try and get with a smaller firm if i do go that route
i know there is going to be long hrs regardless
going to be that old guy with a bunch of fresh college grads :lol:
Kinda in a similar situation. Graduated a long time ago with a business management degree, did well in my accounting classes but my school didn’t have an accounting major. Didn’t really want to go to hrad school. Might just get my bachelors if most of my credits are still good. If not, maybe just get my associates and do book keeping.

Just looked into it and one of the local state schools has a M.S. and affordable tuition.

Kinda in a similar situation. Graduated a long time ago with a business management degree, did well in my accounting classes but my school didn’t have an accounting major. Didn’t really want to go to hrad school. Might just get my bachelors if most of my credits are still good. If not, maybe just get my associates and do book keeping.
i did an online certificate program where the units fulfilled the requirements. look into community college as well. you can just take the core accounting classes + electives at a reasonable price and take the cpa. you already have a bachelors, might as well get a masters or cpa

Back
Top Bottom