Any Donell Jones fans?

I just had a chance to do an interview with him. He has two albums coming out: One is of unreleased material coming online only this month, and the other is anew album coming out in early 2010. Check out his response to the Big Pun question I asked! Pun was wild.

I really feel like he is one of the most underrated singers in R&B. He never really got promoted like he should have been, and thus his albums weren'tas successful as some of his peers.

YNIGS: It's been nearly four years since you released "Journey of a Gemini," what have you been up to since then?

DJ: Working man, I've just been working on the new project. I got a new album coming out right before Christmas, it's called "The Lost Files," and this album is just comprised of songs, like every time I do an album, that in between time where there is no album out, I always record a lot of songs, and they don't make the album because I like to start from scratch when I make the new record. What I did was just grab a lot of those songs and put them on this "Lost Files" album just as a prelude to when my new album comes out in 2010.

YNIGS: I was actually going to ask you about this album you are releasing of unreleased material, are these songs you recorded all through your career?

DJ: I got songs dating from '96 in the beginning of my career all the way up until 2004. You will definitely hear songs that sound like they are from the "My Heart" era, you will hear songs that sound like they are from the "Where I Wanna Be" era, it's just a whole bunch of songs that's throughout my whole career, that I'm like "Man, people need to hear this stuff, I need to stop keeping to myself, you know?"

YNIGS: So besides the album of unreleased material you will be releasing, you are also working on a new album for next year?

DJ: Definitely. Working on a new album as we speak, and it's going to be incredible. It always takes me a little time to finish albums, and that's because I'm always looking for a great song, you know? I don't like to rush through an album because I hate when you buy an album and it's only like two or three songs on it, so that's why it takes me a little bit of time. Plus at the same time, I'm not with the label anymore, everything I'm going to be doing from now on is going to be independent.

YNIGS: Did you approach your new album as you did with your previous albums, or did you set out to do something different? What should we expect to hear?

DJ: I approached it the same way that I've done all my other albums except for that it will sound fresh and for today. I haven't gone outside of my comfort zone or anything like that. It will just be the same Donell, but just with new songs, new flavor. I really think people appreciate it because with me it's all about the subject matter, it's all about what people actually go through in real life, and those are the songs I'm touching on right now.

YNIGS: Now, you had a chance to collaborate with the late Big Pun, can you tell me what the experience of working with him was like?

DJ: Incredible. I mean in the studio he pretty much already knew what he wanted. I mean, poppin bottles, the studio was full of women; it was just a beautiful experience man! Fat Joe and the whole crew was there, my crew was there, it felt like an event, almost felt like you were going to a party or something, but we were in the studio. It was a great experience, I'm not going to lie. That was one of the only artists that, because I did work with Left Eye, but me and her weren't in the studio together, she did her part, I did my part, but the Big Pun thing, we were all in the studio, it was just fun.

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by jmansmc23

Nice interview, and Where I Wanna Be is a classic album!!
Thanks man. He's always been one of my favorites. To me his style of music is amazing and I'm glad he always stayed with the same formulaeven though r&b has changed.

Originally Posted by r00m112

I really feel like he is one of the most underrated singers in R&B
True story, he's always been one of my favorite artists. Can't wait to hear new material from him, he's always been pretty consistent

Originally Posted by A Thrilla

Him and Joe r very underrated. I blame that on R kelly.

He actually mentioned that when he was the major label, he was pretty much up against R Kelly and Usher and the label would choose to promote them and prettymuch not do much for his project.

He's independent now, so it's going to be all on him.

Donnell Jones is the man, too many classic songs IMO, I be trying to put people on, but they don't listen... can't wait for the new joint...

Originally Posted by Aljayz863

What happened to him? He went AWOL
Well "Journey of a Gemini" came out in 2006. As he mentioned in the interview, he always take awhile between releases because he likesto put together a solid project. He's also not the type to just jump on as a guest on tracks so you don't hear him as much.

Back
Top Bottom