Any future of present Pharmacists out there?

I want to become a pharmacist and will be applying to the St.Johns/Buffalo/LIU/Albany pharmacy programs. Anyone currently attend those schools for pharmacy?What should i expect? How is it going for you? Btw, my GPA is a 3.6, SAT (waiting for scores), i've played varsity basketball, worked at two jobs, andtutored kids. Hopefully with that and some luck i'll be on way...

I'm at St. John's pharmacy right now. I got in with a 68 average and 2060 SAT, no extra curriculars whatsoever.
pimp.gif
(don't ask how I got in) I gotrejected from LIU though.

It's pretty damn hard. I'll edit back with a more detailed answer but I'm busy right now.

I'm none of the two, but I'm a pharm. tech for Rite Aid, and as far as I know, that is one boring %%! job. I know the responsibilities of a tech andpharmacist are astoundingly different, but I am able to observe the pharmacist's work and do all the "grunt" work at the same time.

The most fun for me is trying to solve a customer's insurance issues. If it's your thing, then good luck. It was one of my two career choices at onepoint, that is why I got the job.

I cant speak from personal experience but my dad is a pharmacist. I remember him telling me how pretty much everybody dropped out because of how hard it was.If you have a passion for it and not getting in it just for the money then you should not have any problems.

Originally Posted by MidEastBeast

I'm at St. John's pharmacy right now. I got in with a 68 average and 2060 SAT, no extra curriculars whatsoever.
pimp.gif
(don't ask how I got in) I got rejected from LIU though.

It's pretty damn hard. I'll edit back with a more detailed answer but I'm busy right now.
st.johns is my top choice. so i'll be looking forward to what you have to say..

im a pharmacist for about a year and a half now. mostly everyone i know did it for the money. i mean it is a great profession. you can go anywhere you want inthe country literally. in this recession, thats a hell of a degree to get. when you get outta school youll be makin 6 figures easy. my friend just got a job intexas where hes online, NT, myspace, facebook most of the day and he makes literally about $150,000 a year. its nice not lookin at price tags anymore. i justwent to the store the other day and got a wallet that costs more than a car payment and didnt think twice. its not a bad degree to get but you gotta know whatyoure gettin yourself into. its not a fun/office type setting and you gotta be able to deal w the public which is the worst/majority of the job

I'm at St. John's with mideastbeast. We're both first year students so the REAL pharmacy school work hasn't started so i cant really speak onthat but one thing im not happy about so far with STJ is that we will eventually be required to complete 1800 hours of rotations. Basically working for freeFOR 1800 HOURS.

nah unless youre school is different, its not free, you are PAYING to do that work for 1800 hours. we still had to pay tuition for that rotation year. i thinki figured it out to be somethin like I was paying $100 a day to work and do projects for 8 months. dont worry about it tho, youll make it back in no time. lastmonth i took home over $10 Gs AFTER taxes. not too bad at all

Originally Posted by belle155

im a pharmacist for about a year and a half now. mostly everyone i know did it for the money. i mean it is a great profession. you can go anywhere you want in the country literally. in this recession, thats a hell of a degree to get. when you get outta school youll be makin 6 figures easy. my friend just got a job in texas where hes online, NT, myspace, facebook most of the day and he makes literally about $150,000 a year. its nice not lookin at price tags anymore. i just went to the store the other day and got a wallet that costs more than a car payment and didnt think twice. its not a bad degree to get but you gotta know what youre gettin yourself into. its not a fun/office type setting and you gotta be able to deal w the public which is the worst/majority of the job
I think everyone does pharmacy for the money. I doubt anyone had childhood dreams of becoming a pharmacist.

another question. if i want to open up my own pharmacy do i have to major in something else also?

Originally Posted by Ballinsam23

another question. if i want to open up my own pharmacy do i have to major in something else also?
Not at all. My dad opened up his first store four years after he graduated pharmacy school. Now he has three and it sort of became his side hustlesince he got heavy with selling on ebay/amazon.

Pharmacist checking in. Graduated in the same class as Belle. Pretty much co-sign everything in that post. The money (along with the flexibility and jobsecurity) is the motivation for most people. I agree that its nice to not worry about money, in so far as bills are concerned, anymore. The only time Istress dough now is when something unexpected happens, like somebody running into my car. Sometimes though, I wish I could get out of the pharmacy a littlemore, as it's both grueling and monotonous. So right now I'm looking at getting certified to give immunizations, and teaching classes for pharmacytechnicians to get certified. That's one thing I love about my career choice thus far: it provides myriad avenues of diversification for you to explore.

Concerning Pharmacy School: it is extremely demanding. I honestly recommend having a 4-year degree prior to going. I know in some schools its not requiredand you can get in with 2-years undergrad, but the added 2 years of a BA will teach you how to focus your energy on a centralized curriculum, presumably as youengage in studies toward your major, and allow you to grow up a bit more. I'll be honest. I was not mature enough for pharmacy school when I got in. Undergrad prereq's were a cake walk and I seriously underestimated the rigor.

Whats up Crimson? Yeah I thought about immunizations too but the only reason i didnt do it is because they can come in any time. if someone wants a flu shotyou have to drop everything to get and fill the syringe and do all the paperwork and i just didnt want to get backed up. the organized flu clinics arent badbut i dont want people coming in at random times getting them so i just didnt bother. the one pharmacist who does give them out agrees and doesnt really carefor the walk ins. i thought about teaching too. i taught a class when i was in my last year at school. it was a freshman orientation type class but it waspretty fun workin with younger people. it can get boring babysitting your 40 year old techs who argue with each other daily

i'm in 4th year at st. john's right now, supposedly the hardest year. i laugh at all the freshmens and sophomores complaining it's hard.
roll.gif
seriously the first 2 years are a joke, 3rd year you start feeling some pressureand 4th year is like 1000x tougher than 3rd year but you get used to it and it's not so bad. 5th and 6th year i heard is like 4th year when you have classbut you go on rotations for a year...and you have to pay tuition so it's like paying to work
indifferent.gif

ok, so here is what they don't want you to know. everyone talks like st. john's is the hardest but it's actually the other way around. it MIGHT bethe hardest to get into but easiest to stay in and get out. once you're in, you're in until you graduate as long as you maintain a 2.3 (although iheard they changed it to a 2.7 now). you don't have to take any tests to actually get into the pharmacy program (so first 2 years are bs, and at 3rd yearyou have to take a test or something) like every other school and they are more competitive because of that reason. my year has about 250-270 kids...weprobably started with around 350. another thing is, it's all about the friends you make and what kind of hook ups you get. you cannot survive alone unlessyou are one of the top 5 in the class or something and a genius that can manage time perfectly. it's also all about time management which i still suckat...speaking of which i should be studying
frown.gif
pm me if you have anyquestions i'll be happy to answer them.

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

can't you just become a pharmacist by working at walgreens or cvs pharmacy and taking a test?
roll.gif
roll.gif

God no. I'm at a CC right now, started checking off pre-reqs. Hoping to transfer to U of Minn. to finish them & applying there. Lets keep this thread going, drop knowledge fellas. One of the mods is a pharmacist, btw.

Originally Posted by Ballinsam23

MidEastBeast did you apply with the personal application ?
Yeah, I actually applied and got into business with that, then I emailed them asking to switch into pharmacy and they accepted me two weeks later.

Back
Top Bottom