Any future of present Pharmacists out there?

like i said i'm willing to help people that have any questions. pharmacy seems like the new doctor/lawyer dream now. everyone's doing it for the money,keep in mind it's actually much more than that and it's definately not for everyone. my class started with around 350 kids...now we have about 250-270.

rare23 what exactly is an over tally? are you saying like you want to transfer into a good calc class but you can't since it's already filled up? if itshows 0...there might be a chance that someone leaves or a spot becomes available...but it also depends on your guidance. as long as it's not"closed" or shows a C next to it there is always a possibility although not much. first year you have good guidance counselors that may be able toget you in there so i would say go to the freshmen center and tell them your story (maybe make up some bs family excuse why you need that class instead of theother class because your time doesn't work out).

but if you are saying like you want to register (not transfer) but if it's full then it won't let you register i believe. after 1st semester 2nd yearyou start block scheduling so i don't really remember. but good luck getting into the class you want.

yeah, like i noticed some classes have negative seats remaining. i think the policy is that as long as the teacher is cool with it and there is space in theroom you can register to it. im gonna have to pull some strings tomorrow.

wow negative spaces...that'll be hard. but yea as long as it's not closed there is a chance...not much though.

at least in first year they do everything for you...after that you do everything on your own.

anyone here from Mass trying to get into pharmacy???

im trying to get in to Mass College of Pharmacy..

im hearing all neg things about it and going to have to work pretty hard.

im also a pharm tech at CVS

the pharmacists jobs looks pretty boring to me. all they do is check the meds to see if theyre the right ones and put them in a bin to be picked up

one mistake though and a person could potentially die.

i just hope i can get accepted if this falls through idk what else i can do for a career

any advice??? on how to lighten the load? im a transfer btw been in 2 diff colleges. currently a sophomore

i know someone that goes there...don't really talk to them though i don't even know if she's still in the program but it can be pretty expensive iguess.

there are more to being a pharmacist than counting pills (which they don't even do anyway the techs do) and checking prescriptions. important part of it iscounseling which doesn't seem to be applied in today's pharmacy because they're all rushed and don't have time.

i'm not so sure on transfers but make sure you find out what the pre req's are and if you need to take a test to get into the program on your 3rd year.if you can get in and follow through, the results will be rewarding.

i encourage anyone that enjoyed/didn't hate taking chemistry/organic chemistry to apply to a pharm school if you are interested...definately one of thebest options right now.

Originally Posted by rare23

Originally Posted by belle155

im a pharmacist for about a year and a half now. mostly everyone i know did it for the money. i mean it is a great profession. you can go anywhere you want in the country literally. in this recession, thats a hell of a degree to get. when you get outta school youll be makin 6 figures easy. my friend just got a job in texas where hes online, NT, myspace, facebook most of the day and he makes literally about $150,000 a year. its nice not lookin at price tags anymore. i just went to the store the other day and got a wallet that costs more than a car payment and didnt think twice. its not a bad degree to get but you gotta know what youre gettin yourself into. its not a fun/office type setting and you gotta be able to deal w the public which is the worst/majority of the job
I think everyone does pharmacy for the money. I doubt anyone had childhood dreams of becoming a pharmacist.

Well, it's not exactly child hood...but i've wanted to get into pharmacy since my freshman year of hs..

i'm hoping i get into the University of the Pacific this fall for their 5 year program...
if not i'll end up at the University of Arizona for their 6 year program..

woot.

Originally Posted by stiffy978

anyone here from Mass trying to get into pharmacy???

im trying to get in to Mass College of Pharmacy..

im hearing all neg things about it and going to have to work pretty hard.
The work is obviously hard, but as you know, the program is year round (but 3 years instead of 4). My friend is up at the Manchester campus...shesays it's pretty laid back and its a pretty tight-knit community. Everyone looks out for each other. One of my closer friends is in his second year atWorcester. The entire Pharmacy school is in one building, and he says the professors are pretty cool. Boston is 30 minutes away as well. I read somewhere thatMCP accepts more students they can graduate. The average freshman class is 150-160, and they can only graduate 120. They're just playing the percentages tomilk a year's tuition from 30-40 people who can't handle the academic rigor. I'm sure a lot (if not ALL) Pharmacy schools do this.

I got my PharmD from Buffalo. Went to undergrad there so I knew a lot of people and was close to the professors, and the workload transition was easy for me. Idon't like my job, BTW. I might even consider going back to school for medicine, or pursue another career (I was offered a consultancy position with GE).Unless I get a pay-raise of at least 15-20k and a better location, i'm pretty set on leaving.

i encourage anyone that enjoyed/didn't hate taking chemistry/organic chemistry to apply to a pharm school if you are interested...definately one of the best options right now.

...but don't bother if your grades are poor. Getting into Pharmacy school is pretty cut and dry; great GPA/PCAT, pharmacy experience, not a weirdo. And nowthat more and more people with degrees are applying, sooner or later, Bachelor's degrees are going to become requirements. Apply early; get your PharmCASin my mid-September the very latest. Wait-lists are your friends. The friend I mentioned above was wait-listed at LECOM and was given a seat in mid-June
laugh.gif

I'm trying to get into a pharmacy program, but my GPA is pretty low.
It's a 3.05 right now, but I'm hoping to raise it up after this quarter.
I should be getting my BS in biological sciences within the next two years.
I'm looking around for an intern/clerk position at local pharmacies, but I still haven't gotten any type of pharmacy experience.
I do, however, work for the state at the EPA at their laboratory division which involves a whole lot of chemistry.
How good are my chances at getting into a pharmacy program with my BS degree in bio. sci.?

it all depends where you are applying. for example st johns doesn't accept any transfers and some schools let everyone in but you might need to takeanother test to get in, etc.

My old roommate and a bunch of my friends go to St. Louis College of Pharmacy, and I have respect for anybody who labors through the 6 years of school. They gothrough so much studying it's unreal.

Props to y'all.

Back
Top Bottom