Any Golfers on NT?

Originally Posted by eaalto

I can only think of two reasons for your drives to go right:
Your club face is open at contact

or

You have an out to in swing path that puts a side spin on the ball at contact.  

It's difficult to explain over the internet....but basically I used to swing more with my arms, rather than using my shoulders/hips in my swing.  I wouldn't rotate my shoulders with my backswing, my club head would go out, and then come in towards my body as I was making contact.  I started to focus on rotating my shoulders with my backswing, and making sure that the path of the club was going away from my body and not towards it.  This took away the side spin at impact, and as long as the face is square at contact, my drives go straight as an arrow and ~280 yards.  

What shaft stiffness do you have on your driver?

the way i fade/slice it, i wouldnt be surprised if my head was open and my swing was out to in ... i also used to play baseball and one of my main problems was looking at the ball after i hit it instead of swinging through ... i'll go to the range today and focus on rotating my shoulders ... i also got lucky enough to catch two shows strictly on driving the ball just now on the golf channel so i picked up a few tips ...

i just bought a new driver that has a stiff shaft ... first time ive used a stiff shaft but im getting the same results ...

I shot an 85 yesterday. I bet I only hit 2 fairways. I am gonna take a lesson to get my drive straightened out.

Originally Posted by moneyisthemotive

or

It's difficult to explain over the internet....but basically I used to swing more with my arms, rather than using my shoulders/hips in my swing.  I wouldn't rotate my shoulders with my backswing, my club head would go out, and then come in towards my body as I was making contact.  I started to focus on rotating my shoulders with my backswing, and making sure that the path of the club was going away from my body and not towards it.  This took away the side spin at impact, and as long as the face is square at contact, my drives go straight as an arrow and ~280 yards.  

the way i fade/slice it, i wouldnt be surprised if my head was open and my swing was out to in ... i also used to play baseball and one of my main problems was looking at the ball after i hit it instead of swinging through ... i'll go to the range today and focus on rotating my shoulders ... i also got lucky enough to catch two shows strictly on driving the ball just now on the golf channel so i picked up a few tips ...

i just bought a new driver that has a stiff shaft ... first time ive used a stiff shaft but im getting the same results ...
Maybe it's stance related?  

Originally Posted by JordanPP30

Taking golf as a summer class.
pimp.gif

One of the few regrets I have from college was not taking this, basketball and sports + film class.  My graduating semester should have been much better/easier.

Originally Posted by moneyisthemotive

or

Maybe it's stance related?  

When I was first playing and slicing the crap out of the ball, I used to think it was because I was swinging so hard the face couldn't close in time, causing the slice/fade.

After looking at my divots, I'm DEFINITELY coming outside/in with my swing, putting the spin on the ball to have it fade and even slice at times.  It's either one or the other, and unless you're using a senior flex shaft, it probably ISN'T the fact that you're club face is open.  If you hit it straight and then it fades, it's your swing.  If it starts right and stays right, it's probably both issues.

That is easily the worst part of my swing and something I am constantly trying to fight through.

My brother is co-hosting a NFL charity Tournament with Will Allen (former Bucs player & current Steelers player)

ps Ben Roethlisberger has been invited and is expected play

Quick question for anyone who consistently shoots in the 70's.

Is there any methods or tricks you guys have to reproducing the same swing on every shot, besides practice?

Some swings I have a great swing, others are totally out of rhythm. I've noticed that the guys that I play with who consistently shoot well usually are able to produce a very consistent swing.

So if anyone has any pointers besides just practice, mental or physical, I'd appreciate it.

Originally Posted by I AM NAS

Originally Posted by Quaz

Here are some of my new pickups

got it at goodwill for $3

Next up an odyssey putter and golf shoes
nice pick up... and i also been looking to get an odyssey putter and golf shoes... im broke tho
frown.gif
Thanks, I feel ya, my bank account is dwindling due to school, good thing I start my summer job soon. I picked up two golf shirts for $5.50 yesterday, one of them being a new adidas clima cool. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Originally Posted by HWBurnz

Quick question for anyone who consistently shoots in the 70's.

Is there any methods or tricks you guys have to reproducing the same swing on every shot, besides practice?

Some swings I have a great swing, others are totally out of rhythm. I've noticed that the guys that I play with who consistently shoot well usually are able to produce a very consistent swing.

So if anyone has any pointers besides just practice, mental or physical, I'd appreciate it.
Pre-shot routine.  Similar to how some baseball players methodically do the SAME thing before every pitch they see, like Nomar Garciaparra (always fiddling with his batting gloves), getting into a pre-shot routine before every shot helps you focus on your swing.
It's different for a lot of players, but a common suggestion is to stand behind the ball and draw a line with the shaft of your club where you want the ball to go.  Take a calm, relaxed even-tempoed practice swing.  Address the ball, making sure your feet are in line and your stance feels correct, with a square club face, in line with your target.  I usually keep the ball in the middle of my stance or close to the middle of my stance for just about all of my shots, so I stand at address with my feet together, and then space them evenly to hitting position so the ball is in the dead center of my stance.  I use my shaft as a line against my toes just to make sure I'm aimed where I want to be, I take a calm practice swing, and then I hit my shot.  

Getting in the same routine helps establish repetition and muscle memory, which are definite keys to having a consistent swing.

I played my par 30 9 hole on Tuesday, and played my best round ever (32; +2).  Not really a direct comparison to an 18 hole but I'm getting closer to my goal of shooting scratch golf for once in my life.  Anyway, I try to follow the same routine before every shot, and I generally have extremely consistent ball striking with my irons, and especially my wedges.  If and when I have mi****s, it's almost always a pull to the left, and it's mostly with my long irons.  I haven't spent enough time hitting my driver to be consistent with it, so I usually opt to tee off with my more accurate clubs (3/4 iron or a 3 wood).  200 yards down the middle is better than 225 yards in the trees/trap/water.  

Google "pre shot golf routine" and try to personalize a routine for yourself.  Whatever gets you most comfortable on the golf course is what you should do.  There is no universal formula for how to play golf, if you can shoot scratch with an unconventional swing, but it works, use it.

As another hint, try subscribing to Golf Magazine (SI Publication).  There are tons of little articles and mini-lessons in there that can help you fix minor flaws in your game.  Over time you will see conflicting pointers, but maybe one pointer will work for you while another one doesn't.

Also consider purchasing these two books by Dave Pelz: The Putting Bible/The Short Game Bible.  They definitely helped improve my short game (the most important aspect of anyone's game).  

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

You guys clean off your clubs with any particular solution?

I was having trouble getting dried dirt out of the grooves of my irons so I tried alloy wheel cleaner that I had for my car - worked a treat. It's obviously made to not damage the metal but it dissolved all the stuff in there and it just rinsed off.

Usually I would just use soap and water though.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm definitely going to try to the whole pre-shot routine thing.  For some reason I've always shied away from one, I just kind of take a couple practice swings and every now and then check that my feet are aligned.  But I think your right, if I can establish a steady pre-shot routine, it will definitely help the muscle memory. 

For anyone looking for cheap golf shirts, I found some nice ones at Old Navy of all places.  The material seems pretty nice, and they were $12.  They had a couple different styles too.  It's called their Rec Tech polo I believe. 

Developing a "waggle" has helped me too... I take the club and bring it outside of the ball then back in with a small loop while I adjust my feet... Its helped my slice a LOT using my irons. It keeps me from bringing the club back and swinging outside-in.

Find a nail brush (you know, for your fingernails....) at Target or whatever, and just lukewarm water/mild soap cleans the grooves nice.

How do you like that Warbird? I was OBSESSED with the idea of having one of those when I first starting playing. I thought they were the coolest clubs. Now they just sit in the used club bins at Roger Dunn for $10-$30, but I haven't pulled the trigger.

I adhere to the 14 club limit so I would have to delete something from my bag....

How do you like that Warbird? I was OBSESSED with the idea of having one of those when I first starting playing. I thought they were the coolest clubs. Now they just sit in the used club bins at Roger Dunn for $10-$30, but I haven't pulled the trigger.

I adhere to the 14 club limit so I would have to delete something from my bag....

i like it very much. very light and its has the perfect clubhead shape for a fairway wood imo, that gives me the confidence that i will always hit a solid shot....but it been with me for 9 yrs... i think its time to buy a new pair...any suggestions?...should i go for titliest?.. or callaway?...

What's in my bag:
Driver:Taylormade Burner 9.5 degree Stiff Flex

3 Wood:Adams Tight Lies 16 degree Regular Flex (next on my list to be replaced)

Irons: Titleist 704 CB w/ Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Wedges: Cleveland CG 11 48 Degree 2 dot bounce

Cleveland TA 900 52 Degree 

Cleveland CG 10 54 Degree 2 dot bounce

Cleveland CG 10 56 Degree 1 dot bounce

Cleveland CG 10 56 Degree 3 dot bounce

Cleveland CG 10 60 Degree 1 dot bounce

Putter:Scotty Cameron California Series Coronado 

Originally Posted by reigillm

i like it very much. very light and its has the perfect clubhead shape for a fairway wood imo, that gives me the confidence that i will always hit a solid shot....but it been with me for 9 yrs... i think its time to buy a new pair...any suggestions?...should i go for titliest?.. or callaway?...
If it ain't broke don't fix it?  What kind of yardage do you get with the 3 wood/5 wood?
The only fairway/3 wood I have is a Tight Lies 16 degree, and I think it's time to be replaced because I only hit it around 200-220 yards, which is the same distance I can manage from a 3 or 4 iron, so why have clubs of equal yardage?

Personally, I've been looking at Titleist woods....

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Cleveland CG 10 60 Degree 1 dot bounce
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
I love mine.

I'm on my second one, haha.  I was going through a phase where I wasn't following through on my chip shots, and everything shot off to the right.  I did it three times in a round, and on this particular shot I had an easy shot to the pin and instead I hit it sideways into the bunker.  I threw my wedge the perfect distance, it hit my golf cart and split the shaft right down the middle.  That same round I also got stuck in the woods, tried punching out with my 4 iron only to hit 2 trees, and I launched that club too and it bent around a tree trunk and snapped the shaft.  I was furious that day.
Anyway, I fixed my stroke error and I would never even dream of throwing this one (got it brand new for $30!!)

My last time out I had a nasty hole with a sliced drive, punched 4 iron out of the trees into a greenside bunker, bunker was rock hard from sprinklers, ball just barely popped out onto the fringe, and I still had 20 yards to the pin on a moderate slope.  I pulled out my 60 and aimed a little high and short of the pin, and I only missed the cup by about 2 inches.  Tap in for bogey 
mad.gif

I just recently purchased a Cleveland CG 14 60 degree wedge, have only used it once thus far but really liked it around the green.

Back
Top Bottom