Any Golfers on NT?

Originally Posted by eaalto

Juicy J - do you work a M-F job?
I used to. I stopped working in early June after I got accepted to grad school. I'm just trying to chill before I start the grind again. I've been down in North Myrtle a lot lately playing golf down here. I'll be around the last week of July though. 

Hate to admit it but my lack of practice and playing outside of league has shown me I am a bad golfer and I will probably not improve much more than where I am. I have only been playing for 4 years (27 y/o) but I have a feeling that with a family starting up and not a ton of disposible income, I will probably hover around this area for quite a while. It sucks because I know what I need to work on but really don't have the time right now to fit it in. Really thinking about ditching the game that I am really starting to like.

Originally Posted by Newbs24

Hate to admit it but my lack of practice and playing outside of league has shown me I am a bad golfer and I will probably not improve much more than where I am. I have only been playing for 4 years (27 y/o) but I have a feeling that with a family starting up and not a ton of disposible income, I will probably hover around this area for quite a while. It sucks because I know what I need to work on but really don't have the time right now to fit it in. Really thinking about ditching the game that I am really starting to like.
I have accepted I will never be great at this game..
I, like you, don't have a great bunch of resources to devote to improving my skills; however, that still does not deter me from taking the game for what it's worth.  A nice 4-5 hour break from life and chilling my friends in a great setting.

Although what I have found is that taking the time to really use a range session to tweak things.. as opposed to just swinging away really helps.

Improving at the game definitely takes a lot of commitment, and can get incredibly expensive when you go down the path of club whoring.  
I shot my best round ever on 18 holes today...82, 10 over par, 41 out, 41 in, had three 3 putts, and did not lose a single ball the entire day.

Played the Callaway Tour i(s)....actually kind of surprised at how well I played it.

No idea on the new camerons. I really want to get the a new Newport 2.5, but the pricetag is more than what I am looking to spend.

I shot an 84 (43, 41) yesterday with a triple and three double bogeys.
sick.gif
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
. I had four three putts as well. First time playing on bent grass greens in a while so that definitely threw me off. I had one bird and missed a 9 footer for birdie on 17.

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

No idea on the new camerons. I really want to get the a new Newport 2.5, but the pricetag is more than what I am looking to spend.

I shot an 84 (43, 41) yesterday with a triple and three double bogeys.
sick.gif
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
. I had four three putts as well. First time playing on bent grass greens in a while so that definitely threw me off. I had one bird and missed a 9 footer for birdie on 17.

If you're down we should find whoever else lives in the triangle area and do some kind of NT/NC golf summit.  A dude named chickhien reached out to me in the NC thread to kind of welcome me to the area, but I think he lives out in Charlotte.

I'm picking up my 983k from Golfsmith tonight - can't wait to play it.  Shaft should weigh something like 110-115 grams
roll.gif

EDIT: Was waiting for someone to come help me at the club-making center, and started looking through the used drivers...I usually just squat and look at the shafts before I grab a head (nh), and spotted a Diamana Blueboard S63 x5ct flex - s in a Nike SQ Tour 460...for $27...I figured the shaft is probably worth more than that, so I grabbed it...

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Originally Posted by Newbs24

I have accepted I will never be great at this game..
I, like you, don't have a great bunch of resources to devote to improving my skills; however, that still does not deter me from taking the game for what it's worth.  A nice 4-5 hour break from life and chilling my friends in a great setting.

Although what I have found is that taking the time to really use a range session to tweak things.. as opposed to just swinging away really helps.

I'm in the same boat.

I finally got around to resuming my lessons w/ a local pro a couple weeks ago. I bought a 6 pack last Summer, had two sessions, and then got sciatica, which put me out of commission. I've been fighting back injuries ever since.

One thing that I noticed really helps my game is when I make an attempt to at least take a few swings every single day. I have one of those small 1' x 2' fake grass tees that I take a few swings on in my living room. It sucks when you haven't played in a while and nothing in your swing is grooved. Every time I play, it feels like I've never played before, and it's hard to be consistent with anything.

Originally Posted by DinanBMW

Ok so anyone from NorCal or the bay area who hasn't played Yocha-de-he over at cache creek needs to book a tee time asap. I've never played at such a well maintained course. I have a few pics but they won't do it justice. The grass was so green and perfect it looked fake. It was $65 for twilight but I would have gladly paid double that. Seriously, PGA status.

I had some friends come up on a Groupon for that place and said pretty much the same.

65 is steep, though. It'd have to be a special occasion for me to drop that much, but it's definitely on the list.

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

looked her up because i thought you were insinuating that she was hot or something.
laugh.gif
Quite the contrary. Cheyenne Woods, though
pimp.gif

In other news, MJ has been using an R11 at the American Century. My whole life might as well be a lie now.

Originally Posted by Bastitch

Ok so anyone from NorCal or the bay area who hasn't played Yocha-de-he over at cache creek needs to book a tee time asap. I've never played at such a well maintained course. I have a few pics but they won't do it justice. The grass was so green and perfect it looked fake. It was $65 for twilight but I would have gladly paid double that. Seriously, PGA status.

I had some friends come up on a Groupon for that place and said pretty much the same.

65 is steep, though. It'd have to be a special occasion for me to drop that much, but it's definitely on the list.

I get groupgolfer emails but 90% of the deals are for SoCal courses. I know a few people who have gotten some good deals around $40 when they book early, but honestly we only went that day because our fourth flaked on us. He got last minute giants tickets so we booked Yocha de he out of spite. I'm planning on going there again next Saturday, though. Oh, and I'm not sure about Vallejo, but Costco in Vacaville has a deal for a round at Chardonnay, a round at eagle vines, half off the bridges in San Ramon, and half off Dublin for like $70. On a few you gotta pay for the carts, but it's a steal considering that eagle vines and Chardonnay are easily $60 per round.

I get groupgolfer emails but 90% of the deals are for SoCal courses. I know a few people who have gotten some good deals around $40 when they book early, but honestly we only went that day because our fourth flaked on us. He got last minute giants tickets so we booked Yocha de he out of spite. I'm planning on going there again next Saturday, though. Oh, and I'm not sure about Vallejo, but Costco in Vacaville has a deal for a round at Chardonnay, a round at eagle vines, half off the bridges in San Ramon, and half off Dublin for like $70. On a few you gotta pay for the carts, but it's a steal considering that eagle vines and Chardonnay are easily $60 per round.
I'm gonna check that Costco thing out. Admittedly, I have a voucher for both Hiddenbrooke and Rancho Solano on the shelf, so I want to cash in those rounds before I start looking at other places to play.

I don't mind paying around 50 for a round if it's a decent course since I'm playing so infrequently, but my golfing buddies are extra frugal. They only hit up the nice spots if there's a deal.

Yeah my friends are the same way. I've been going by myself 2-3 times a week cause they're only able (allowed) to go twice per month at best. Actually they're not so much frugal as they are married and whipped.

I shot an 82 at a local par 70 course last week, and followed it up with an 86 at Franklin canyon, so my game is actually getting better and more consistent. Also, every other Friday we go to Vacaville and hit up the par 3 course at green tree to practice or irons, and this week I ended up with 5 over. I have a couple pre-paid rounds to mare island and other local courses, but I want to keep checking out new courses.

That's cuz you don't hit me up anymore Bastitch. I thought we were friends
frown.gif

Just kidding, I'm now into the frugal category cuz of this house I bought. Diablo Creek is my "home" course now. Too far to drive to Pine Ghetto or Buchannon.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

frown.gif

Just kidding, I'm now into the frugal category cuz of this house I bought. Diablo Creek is my "home" course now. Too far to drive to Pine Ghetto or Buchannon.
I'm pretty sure you're just coming off some sort of injury that kept you on the shelf like Hennesey at Humpty's house.

Don't act like I wasn't trying to get you to play weekly while you were "hurt".

I just played Buchanan today for the first time in over a year. That place is actually looking good these days.

Oh, and I have  Groupon for Greyson. We should go some time.

pimp.gif

Played my first nine with the steel shafted 983k, and shot a 38 (+2).  

1st drive: fairway miss by about 1 yard, 270 yards

2nd drive: middle of fairway, 275 yards

3rd drive: middle of fairway, 300 yards

4th drive: middle of fairway past the cart signs for the green, 290 yards

5th drive: fairway miss about 2 yards into the rough, 265 yards

6th drive: middle of fairway, 230 yards...choked up to the end of the grip because I had water at 280-290 yards

7th drive: middle of fairway, 250 yards

The club has a little bit of a draw bias, and it launches the ball really well (lots of carry) and it seems to be pretty low spin.

I know that 7 drives isn't really enough feedback to say, "wow, this club is amazing" - but I am really impressed so far.  My usual miss with my 905R is a push right, and so far this club hasn't even wanted to go that direction.

983k with Dynamic Gold X100 w/ Sensicore, trimmed to 43.5"...

I paid $16 for the 983k, and then $50 or so for the graphite shaft pull, bore through install, grip, and the shaft itself ($18).

Fraij - if you're looking for a slice cure, this driver might be it.

Shorter playing length than my 905R w/ Whiteboard, but nearly as long off the tee

Has a midsize Lambkin Crossline Grip

Had to sand down the tip to smooth it out

frown.gif

I'm pretty sure you're just coming off some sort of injury that kept you on the shelf like Hennesey at Humpty's house.

I just played Buchanan today for the first time in over a year. That place is actually looking good these days.

frown.gif
 Sorry...my injury was a partially torn achilles tendon.....whereas your "scoliosis" was what, misdiagnosed in Jr High?

Almost makes me want to pull the YS-6 out of mine and throw a steel shaft in it. But am going to hold of for now since my swing is in a nice groove and that shaft is working great for me, no going right at all anymore. If I can come up on another cheap 983k I might put a steel shaft in it just to try out.

frown.gif

frown.gif
 Sorry...my injury was a partially torn achilles tendon.....whereas your "scoliosis" was what, misdiagnosed in Jr High?

Oh shut up, Nancy.

Shot a 38 (+7)  at Buchanan like a 13 year old girl yesterday. 

I'm getting better.

frown.gif

Oh shut up, Nancy.

I'm getting better.

Sorry, please don't delete my number out of your phone.  You up for Sunday?

Originally Posted by airblaster503

Almost makes me want to pull the YS-6 out of mine and throw a steel shaft in it. But am going to hold of for now since my swing is in a nice groove and that shaft is working great for me, no going right at all anymore. If I can come up on another cheap 983k I might put a steel shaft in it just to try out.
Haha, let me know if you do, and let me know how it works out.
It was a cheap experiment for me...I was already spending money at golfsmith, and they had a spend 250 save 50 deal...I was at 200, so I added the shaft/labor and ended up paying all of $20 to get the new shaft installed...+16 for the driver, so $36 out the door.  38 is my best 9 hole score on a regulation course, I've shot it twice now.

If/when you order the shaft, the model # is 2003W....DG X100 extra stiff .335 tip....

Not sure if you want to trim it at all, but I read that short steel shafts used to be widely played on tour...I am 5'10" and around 240 pounds right now, and I can tell you the shaft feels great...not too heavy.  I had mine trimmed 1.5"

Originally Posted by eaalto

Originally Posted by airblaster503

Haha, let me know if you do, and let me know how it works out.
It was a cheap experiment for me...I was already spending money at golfsmith, and they had a spend 250 save 50 deal...I was at 200, so I added the shaft/labor and ended up paying all of $20 to get the new shaft installed...+16 for the driver, so $36 out the door.  38 is my best 9 hole score on a regulation course, I've shot it twice now.

If/when you order the shaft, the model # is 2003W....DG X100 extra stiff .335 tip....

Not sure if you want to trim it at all, but I read that short steel shafts used to be widely played on tour...I am 5'10" and around 240 pounds right now, and I can tell you the shaft feels great...not too heavy.  I had mine trimmed 1.5"
Yea I actually have an old Callaway Steelhead driver with a steel shaft in it right now(think a DG S300) and that thing was straight as an arrow.  If I can find another 983k head as cheap as you found one I am definitely going to give it a shot.  Might throw one in a 905r I just got from a friend but I don't think I would like the steel shaft in the larger head.  Going to stop by golfsmith tomorrow and see what I can find, hoping for another 983k or a 15* V Steel

frown.gif

Oh shut up, Nancy.

I'm getting better.

Sorry, please don't delete my number out of your phone.  You up for Sunday?
Damn, not this weekend, dude.

The kids are in Hawaii for a week, so it's QT with the wife the weekend.

Current bag set up:

Driver: 983k X100

5 wood: 904F S300

4-9 irons: 704.CB S300

2nd 9 iron: Ping Eye 2 (43 degrees?)

Cleveland CG 11 48 Degree

Cleveland TA 900 52 Degree

Cleveland CG 10 56 Degree low bounce

Cleveland CG 10 56 Degree high bounce

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

Clubs on the bench:

nike-air-zoom-advance-brown.jpg

picked these up at the Nike Outlet for $59.99, retail, $250! 

gonna be playing my first 18-hole this morning...lets hope it goes well.

Back
Top Bottom