Any Golfers on NT?

hw, thank you for the answers. with the 2 options you gave, the vrsplits would definitely be the better of the 2 but there are plenty of clubsfor you to look at.

Since iron striking is one of your better aspects of yourgame, and 85 is a bad round for you, while the slingshots aren’t bad, you caneasily play more “players

Originally Posted by k0betw0

Originally Posted by eaalto

I don't see any fault in what I said.  The VR will feel better than the X-20.  Pretty simple.  I've hit pretty recent X series irons, and the feel was no where near as good as forged Mizuno or Titleist irons.   Players clubs feel better on pure hits than game improvement irons.  It doesn't take a golf club expert to determine that.    

u dont even know the dudes game. i wont disagree with you, the vr splits feel infinitely better then the x20s on purely struck but you dont go on just an iron based on feel. if feel was the only qualification of irons, i would tell him to buy a set of miura giken blades (and if you REALLY knew your clubs you would know miura giken and miura aren't really the same thing). if he doesnt hit the center, the x20s may feel just the same as the vrs but perform infinitely better. who knows, you cant just make a brash statement (nor anyone else really for that matter) before you know anything about his game or swing. i apologize if i came off the wrong way, it just really peeves me when people give others information without any real knowledge. its one of the reasons why i dont give equipment info unless someone asks me and is sure as hell why i dont even listen to people who give me swing advice unsolicited. you may be trying to help him with good intention but you may actually be hurting his game. its really nothing personal, its just a pet peeve of mine. you spend enough time at a golfsmith or pro shop full of idiots and u develop a knee jerk reaction like mine
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Here's what I can say after digging through these threads and doing detective work.  You have WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY more experience than I do when it comes to clubs.  The only suggestions I've made are based off my own experiences, which are a joke by comparison to your experience with clubs.  So, I totally concede, I can't even come close to your knowledge.  I only know what works for me from what I've tried, I could totally have my world flipped upside down by trying something new.  I'm well intentioned in my suggestions, I'm just wrong to assume that everyone prefers what I prefer.  I didn't mind the performance of X-Series irons.  My shots went far and straight, but they felt like absolutely garbage in comparison to forged irons.  All I can really say.
Do you still live in OC?  I lived in La Palma for a while and always went out and played Dad Miller (only course I knew of nearby).  I'm down in Long Beach, but would completely be down to get a So Cal golf summit or something up for a day.  I played Sea 'N Air on Coronado today, @%%*$ of a drive there and back.

Thanks for the advice, I really do appreciate it. 

As far as Mizuno's go, since I take practically no divot with my irons maybe they wouldn't be that bad for me, since I always hear good things about them

I totally forgot about Ping and their fitting and dot system.  That probably would be one of my better options.  I've never heard of those Bridgestone irons but I'll be sure to check them out.  From your response, I'll definitely go and get fitted before I buy my next set of irons.  I guess I got lucky buying those Slingshots "blind".  From your answers and my preference, the Nike VR split cavity and Ping I15's are definitely tops on my list. 

Let me ask you something though, why the I15's and not the G15's?  I thought I read somewhere that the G15's outperformed the I's, but I could be wrong.  Either way, thanks for the help and I'm sure this won't be the last time I bug you. 

I don't see any fault in what I said.  The VR will feel better than the X-20.  Pretty simple.  I've hit pretty recent X series irons, and the feel was no where near as good as forged Mizuno or Titleist irons.   Players clubs feel better on pure hits than game improvement irons.  It doesn't take a golf club expert to determine that.    

u dont even know the dudes game. i wont disagree with you, the vr splits feel infinitely better then the x20s on purely struck but you dont go on just an iron based on feel. if feel was the only qualification of irons, i would tell him to buy a set of miura giken blades (and if you REALLY knew your clubs you would know miura giken and miura aren't really the same thing). if he doesnt hit the center, the x20s may feel just the same as the vrs but perform infinitely better. who knows, you cant just make a brash statement (nor anyone else really for that matter) before you know anything about his game or swing. i apologize if i came off the wrong way, it just really peeves me when people give others information without any real knowledge. its one of the reasons why i dont give equipment info unless someone asks me and is sure as hell why i dont even listen to people who give me swing advice unsolicited. you may be trying to help him with good intention but you may actually be hurting his game. its really nothing personal, its just a pet peeve of mine. you spend enough time at a golfsmith or pro shop full of idiots and u develop a knee jerk reaction like mine
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Here's what I can say after digging through these threads and doing detective work.  You have WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY more experience than I do when it comes to clubs.  The only suggestions I've made are based off my own experiences, which are a joke by comparison to your experience with clubs.  So, I totally concede, I can't even come close to your knowledge.  I only know what works for me from what I've tried, I could totally have my world flipped upside down by trying something new.  I'm well intentioned in my suggestions, I'm just wrong to assume that everyone prefers what I prefer.  I didn't mind the performance of X-Series irons.  My shots went far and straight, but they felt like absolutely garbage in comparison to forged irons.  All I can really say.
Do you still live in OC?  I lived in La Palma for a while and always went out and played Dad Miller (only course I knew of nearby).  I'm down in Long Beach, but would completely be down to get a So Cal golf summit or something up for a day.  I played Sea 'N Air on Coronado today, @%%*$ of a drive there and back.
hahaha no doubt. again, sorry if i came off all angry and pissed. i dont know you so it really isnt my place to be callin you out like that and for that i apologize. yeah i live in orange county still. me and solesavage have been trying like forever to get a round in together and if we ever do, i'll definitely hit you up. hopefully we can all just meet up, hit a few balls around a golf course and throw a few back and just relax. first round will be on me.

Originally Posted by HWBurnz

As far as Mizuno's go, since I take practically no divot with my irons maybe they wouldn't be that bad for me, since I always hear good things about them

I totally forgot about Ping and their fitting and dot system.  That probably would be one of my better options.  I've never heard of those Bridgestone irons but I'll be sure to check them out.  From your response, I'll definitely go and get fitted before I buy my next set of irons.  I guess I got lucky buying those Slingshots "blind".  From your answers and my preference, the Nike VR split cavity and Ping I15's are definitely tops on my list. 

Let me ask you something though, why the I15's and not the G15's?  I thought I read somewhere that the G15's outperformed the I's, but I could be wrong.  Either way, thanks for the help and I'm sure this won't be the last time I bug you. 

theres nothing wrong with the g15s. but the g15s are super game improvement status irons and make your slingshots almost look like blades. i only said i15s because u seem like you wanted more of a players looking iron. if you dont mind the game improvement look, add these mizunos to your list.

mizuno mp52
mizuno mp57
mizuno mx300
mizuno mx200
mizuno mx25

the mx 200 / 300 and the mp52s maybe out of yoru price range. i know the 25s arent. and i know the 57s arent because i bought mine brand new within your price range and can give u the ebay guy i bought my irons from if you decide to go with them. sorry, i maybe overloading your brain with TOO much information right now (i have a tendency to do that sometimes, having htis much knowledge really is a gift and a curse, DONT EVEN LET ME GET STARTED ON IRON SHAFTS AND DRIVER SHAFTS)

theres nothing wrong with the g15s. but the g15s are super game improvement status irons and make your slingshots almost look like blades. i only said i15s because u seem like you wanted more of a players looking iron. if you dont mind the game improvement look, add these mizunos to your list.

mizuno mp52
mizuno mp57
mizuno mx300
mizuno mx200
mizuno mx25

the mx 200 / 300 and the mp52s maybe out of yoru price range. i know the 25s arent. and i know the 57s arent because i bought mine brand new within your price range and can give u the ebay guy i bought my irons from if you decide to go with them. sorry, i maybe overloading your brain with TOO much information right now (i have a tendency to do that sometimes, having htis much knowledge really is a gift and a curse, DONT EVEN LET ME GET STARTED ON IRON SHAFTS AND DRIVER SHAFTS)
Believe me, I wouldn't dare ask you for advice on shafts, I've seen the depth you go into with those 
laugh.gif

More of a players looking iron is exactly what I'm looking for.  A players looking iron with above average forgiveness, if they even make those.  But I definitely want to check out some Mizunos.  My boy has a set of blades, I want to say mp33 or something like that, and loves them.  And I've always read/heard good things about their irons, so I definitely want to check those out along with the I15's since they sound more like my type.

While I'm at it, what do you think of the Odyssey White Ice 2-Ball blade putter?  I've had the 2-ball White Steel blade for the last couple of seasons and it dramatically helped me make more 3-5 footers, which were a problem for me at one point.  But as of late it seems kind of dead so I'm looking for an upgrade.  The White Ice seems pretty nice, and I like the fact it has removable weights.

mizuno mp52
mizuno mp57
mizuno mx300
mizuno mx200
mizuno mx25

Believe me, I wouldn't dare ask you for advice on shafts, I've seen the depth you go into with those 
laugh.gif

More of a players looking iron is exactly what I'm looking for.  A players looking iron with above average forgiveness, if they even make those.  But I definitely want to check out some Mizunos.  My boy has a set of blades, I want to say mp33 or something like that, and loves them.  And I've always read/heard good things about their irons, so I definitely want to check those out along with the I15's since they sound more like my type.

While I'm at it, what do you think of the Odyssey White Ice 2-Ball blade putter?  I've had the 2-ball White Steel blade for the last couple of seasons and it dramatically helped me make more 3-5 footers, which were a problem for me at one point.  But as of late it seems kind of dead so I'm looking for an upgrade.  The White Ice seems pretty nice, and I like the fact it has removable weights.
i love the white ice insert. its the only odyssey putter i'll play. i was never a fan of the white hot, white hot xg, white hot steel insert. they were all too soft for me and the white ice is considerably more firm. ironically enough, i switched out from my 3 year old cameron to my even older ping g2i craz-e putter which has a soft insert. but i like the white ice line. i was briefly thinking of buying the white ice #5 putter but decided not to spend the 130 bucks. but if i didnt have a putter, id strongly consider the white ice. but u may have distance control issues with the firmer insert so make sure you test that out before you buy since it may be a bit of a shock for you.

in fact, i would say if youre testing a putter you should test it in 2 ways. test how comfortable you feel with the putter from 4-8 feet. not how many you make, but how comfortable you feel with the putter from that knee-knocking distance. and second, i would test to see how well you can lag putt from 20+ feet. when u test for lag putting, dont see how many you make in the hole, see how far off your misses are.

HWBurnz, what kind of ballflight do you have and what kind are you looking for? Once you answer that we can give you a better recommendation.

Anyone know good places to demonstrate proper grip and set up on the tee? I think that is where most of my problem is lately.

My driving has gone completely down hill, for some reason im opening the club face at impact AND putting a slice spin on the ball with what i can only imagine to be an outside-in swing motion.

Ill be hitting a new-to-me driver starting today as well if that matters, going from a 400cc club head to a 460cc.

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Anyone know good places to demonstrate proper grip and set up on the tee? I think that is where most of my problem is lately.

My driving has gone completely down hill, for some reason im opening the club face at impact AND putting a slice spin on the ball with what i can only imagine to be an outside-in swing motion.

Ill be hitting a new-to-me driver starting today as well if that matters, going from a 400cc club head to a 460cc.

Where do you have the ball in your stance?  Not sure that this is universal to everyone, but I know that I sometimes get jammed up hitting my longer clubs by having the ball too close to me in my stance.  It makes it a lot easier to come out to in when you have the ball closer to your feet in your stance.  Try positioning the ball further away and leaning more towards the ball with a forward bend of your torso at your hips.  This makes it easier to have an in-out swing path because you don't have to bring the club in towards your body to hit the ball, the club naturally goes away from your body.  Using this method my ball flight usually goes straight as an arrow.  Occasionally I will lapse and end up playing a slight fade, but for the most part this keeps it straight.  (Again, I can't promise that this is even good advice, I just know that it has worked for me).

I can feel a slice tendency in my practice swings if I am bringing the club head too close to my body.  It's just a feel thing, and again, I can't promise this will work for you.  I was really hung up on trying to hit my driver straight, and just really focusing on the swing path did wonders for straightening out my drives.  The only problem for me is consistency.  Some drives will go straight as an arrow for ~280 yards, and some will also go wide right OB.  If I can't rid myself of the fade, I play the left side of the fairway, but these drives only yield 225-250 yards, which is what I get out of my 3 wood anyway, so what's the point in risking it?

For me, the 30+ extra yards I get from my driver vs. my 3 - wood do not justify the loss in accuracy.  This strategy might hurt a little bit on longer courses.  The course I played yesterday was 6,000 yards from the white tees, the longest par 4 was 382 yards, shortest was 317.  Longest par 5 was 582, shortest was 486.  Longest par 3 was 179.  I had no distance issues making greens in regulation.  The bulk of my par 4 tee shots left me 150 yards or closer to the pin, and I'm fairly accurate with my short irons/wedges.  

I would love to hit my driver 300 yards with 75% accuracy, but that's simply not a realistic goal for me because I will never devote the time to get there.  I'd rather focus on my putting and short game because if this aspect of your game isn't there, it doesn't matter how far you can hit it.

Yea I dunno man ive been trying to figure out if its a stance thing or what... I address the ball pretty far away IMO, without extending my arms too much i have the toe of the club behind the ball and not the center of it, usually the ball hits just inside the middle of the club face with this new driver.

I had been putting the ball pretty far forward though near my left foot but today I had it more in the middle of the stance... I don't really need to put it too far forward to increase launch angle because my club seems to do that fine anyways...

But I'm really close to giving up on pulling out my driver on the course until I can get right on the range... I hit this Big Bertha steelhead 3 wood... I hit it about 210-225 and normally I can hit it straight.

Its just frustrating not being able to hit this damn club. The worst part is that i USED to be able to hit it much straighter
smh.gif

Originally Posted by DEMONBOI15

HWBurnz, what kind of ballflight do you have and what kind are you looking for? Once you answer that we can give you a better recommendation.
I have a pretty consistent fade with my middle irons, and it goes away from 9 iron and down.  I would say I get pretty good height on my irons, maybe slightly more than average. 

But I played 27 today in the rain and my swing was just a mess.  I'm guessing it was the layers, as my swing felt very "handsy".  The way my arms and hands felt through impact was just a mess.  Luckily my short game was on point and I was able to take advantage of the wet greens with my chipping.  I couldn't hit a put to save my life, was burning edges all day though. 

k0betw0-  I know its not much, but I hit a couple puts at D icks a couple weeks ago with the White Ice 2 ball and the feel felt great to me.  I think I'm going to switch from the 2 ball blade I have now to just the regular 2 ball model when I buy the White Ice. 

Thanks again to everyone for their input on my iron choices.

Fraij-  Sounds to me like you might just have a set up problem.  Can you think of anything you might be doing differently when teeing up the driver?  Since you say you've been able to hit your driver well before, maybe you just need to play around with teeing the ball up in different places, maybe even different heights.  That helps with me sometimes.  I mean you did just the driver right?  So it might take a couple rounds to get used to it and figure it out.

Hopped the fence at the little course down the street and played holes 4-9. Was just messing around so I played my junk balls and it completely threw my distances off.

Thinking about going to pick up a new putter today. Going to look @ these Odyssey ones. Also I know everyone has their own prefence, comfort level, etc. but are the two ball putters the way to go, as opposed to the blade?

Originally Posted by DEMONBOI15

I have a pretty consistent fade with my middle irons, and it goes away from 9 iron and down.  I would say I get pretty good height on my irons, maybe slightly more than average. 

But I played 27 today in the rain and my swing was just a mess.  I'm guessing it was the layers, as my swing felt very "handsy".  The way my arms and hands felt through impact was just a mess.  Luckily my short game was on point and I was able to take advantage of the wet greens with my chipping.  I couldn't hit a put to save my life, was burning edges all day though. 

k0betw0-  I know its not much, but I hit a couple puts at D icks a couple weeks ago with the White Ice 2 ball and the feel felt great to me.  I think I'm going to switch from the 2 ball blade I have now to just the regular 2 ball model when I buy the White Ice. 

Thanks again to everyone for their input on my iron choices.

Fraij-  Sounds to me like you might just have a set up problem.  Can you think of anything you might be doing differently when teeing up the driver?  Since you say you've been able to hit your driver well before, maybe you just need to play around with teeing the ball up in different places, maybe even different heights.  That helps with me sometimes.  I mean you did just the driver right?  So it might take a couple rounds to get used to it and figure it out.
The biggest thing I look at when getting new clubs is the height of my ballflight.  I am a high ballflight/high spin player, so pretty much everything balloons on me and look for clubs that can lower my ballflight.  In your case, this is may not be as big of an issue since you don't hit the ball too high in your current set-up.  The Slingshots are designed to get the ball up high, but I think they have slightly strong lofts than most clubs to prevent ballooning.  You may want to watch out for clubs with higher CG, i.e. VR splits, because you may have trouble getting the ball up.  The best thing to do when getting clubs is to get the most forgiving club that looks good to your eye and you can control.  A lot of players buy clubs that require them to put their best swings into every shot. Golf is tough enough, why buy something that makes it even harder?  

I managed to play 36 holes yesterday.

I'm still about as inconsistent as it gets, but I'm focusing on doing something I never really thought about: Keeping my head still and in the same place.

I'm finding that I'm striking the ball well consistently, although it still is spraying all over the place.

I've also been focusing on watching my clubs make divots when I'm pitching/chipping. It seems to be helping.

I gotta do that better too Bas... I take the smoothest practice swings especially on chips and pitches then comes time to get behind the ball and I chunk it or come up too high on the ball and kick it over the green
smh.gif

Hit +20 yesterday through 18... played the first 9 with nothing worse than a bogey.

I ignored Bastich's request yesterday...

I played 9 on Friday after work and realized:

From the fringe, I'm only putting.

My practice swings must always resemble my regular swing and the approach I'm taking to the next shot, no matter what.

Hitting a bucket before hand is now a necessity. Like you guys, I'm concentrating on 1 or 2 things and incorporating that into each swing (even practice) to get the most repetitions I can.

The hardest part is really trying to let the club do the work and not just go up there and swing as hard as I can.

Lazy, the last 3 times ive played, if im within 6 feet from the green, i keep the wedges in the bag and putt on no matter what.

Hitting the ball with the putter at a downward angle giving a little pop out of the grass and an easy roll onto the green... This has left me with very easy 2 putt or 1 putt.

Also my speed from within 6-8 feet putting was perrrrrrfect yesterday... not so much on longer putts but i was real happy making progress on short putts... nothing more embarrassing than 2 putting from like 4 feet smh.

getting up and down from around the green is probably the most important skill in golf, in my opinion anyway. most people just dont like putting in the practice time with the wedges.

I picked up Dave Stockton book today, if this dude can turn Adam Scott into a good putter, he must be a $*@%@$@ magician

This has been a great month for pickups...

Project X 6.0 shafts for my MP-57s
set of X-Tour wedges with Spinner 5.5 shafts
19* Victory Red FW
new tour wrap 2g grips

can't wait to throw all this stuff in my bag!

This has been a great month for pickups...

Project X 6.0 shafts for my MP-57s
set of X-Tour wedges with Spinner 5.5 shafts
19* Victory Red FW
new tour wrap 2g grips

can't wait to throw all this stuff in my bag!

Back
Top Bottom