Any NT'ers in Thailand or Vietnam? Livin that Ex-pat life.

What's good NT? Lookin to make a big move in the next few months, and pack up and move to Thailand (Bangkok) or Vietnam (Hanoi). 
I was wondering if anyone has made the big move out of the States to live overseas. For me I feel the future is in southeast asia, so for the things I want to accomplish in my life the opportunity is really a no brainer to me. I've traveled a lot in my life, and lived in the philippines for a year as a kid, but moving somewhere foreign and hoping to make a life out of it will certainly be a new experience. 

So if you have moved overseas how has your experience been?

What do you find the hardest adjustment to be?

Any experience with teaching english? if so how was it?

How much better would you consider your quality of life? if any?

btw im 21 years old, black, from CA, and plan to teach english until i can get some business stuff movin.

What's good NT? Lookin to make a big move in the next few months, and pack up and move to Thailand (Bangkok) or Vietnam (Hanoi). 
I was wondering if anyone has made the big move out of the States to live overseas. For me I feel the future is in southeast asia, so for the things I want to accomplish in my life the opportunity is really a no brainer to me. I've traveled a lot in my life, and lived in the philippines for a year as a kid, but moving somewhere foreign and hoping to make a life out of it will certainly be a new experience. 

btw im 21 years old, black, from CA, and plan to teach english until i can get some business stuff movin.

Watch out.

Spoiler [+]
5481817814_1b69fff38a_b.jpg

The main reason for moving to Thailand/Vietnam is prob for $10 hookers?

Better places to move in this world then those two I'd imagine.

The main reason for moving to Thailand/Vietnam is prob for $10 hookers?

Better places to move in this world then those two I'd imagine.

Im Vietnamese, so I'll tell you what i know about Vietnam

Hanoi is notoriously known for their racism among their OWN southern Vietnamese. So i dont know how well you're gonna be accepted there. Plus, the weather is nastier. Cold, rainy, and its just generaly boring. Even tho its the capital, but it has nothing to do, unless you're curious about the historical landmarks, then a trip there for a week will do.

If you plan to teach, go to Hochiminh City. More opportunities there. Businesses are booming daily. The need for foreign English teachers are always there, however, they prefer American Vietnamese, for they're bilingual in both Viet and English. So get your Viet game up and you'll be set. To be honest the ppl there are quite prejudice as well, and from my experience all i saw at international schools were white teachers. Now i dont know if thats because of the lack of black teachers, or because they were being selective....so i cant speak on that.

My experience was great. But then again Im Viet so
laugh.gif

But anyways the hardest adjustments:

- crowded streets, so i resort to taxis or friends/family who have a car
- ppl ogling you cuz you look like a foreigner, i just learn to ignore and move along
- lower living conditions....just have to get used to it i guess. Wasnt so bad once thats over

And if you're choosing Vietnam, please teach my ppl the proper English I want them to learn. None of that British stuff they're teaching over there. Im tired of hearing my ppl speaking stuff with Uhs and Ahs....and ++%+ or skoon instead of Cool or school....
pimp.gif

Im Vietnamese, so I'll tell you what i know about Vietnam

Hanoi is notoriously known for their racism among their OWN southern Vietnamese. So i dont know how well you're gonna be accepted there. Plus, the weather is nastier. Cold, rainy, and its just generaly boring. Even tho its the capital, but it has nothing to do, unless you're curious about the historical landmarks, then a trip there for a week will do.

If you plan to teach, go to Hochiminh City. More opportunities there. Businesses are booming daily. The need for foreign English teachers are always there, however, they prefer American Vietnamese, for they're bilingual in both Viet and English. So get your Viet game up and you'll be set. To be honest the ppl there are quite prejudice as well, and from my experience all i saw at international schools were white teachers. Now i dont know if thats because of the lack of black teachers, or because they were being selective....so i cant speak on that.

My experience was great. But then again Im Viet so
laugh.gif

But anyways the hardest adjustments:

- crowded streets, so i resort to taxis or friends/family who have a car
- ppl ogling you cuz you look like a foreigner, i just learn to ignore and move along
- lower living conditions....just have to get used to it i guess. Wasnt so bad once thats over

And if you're choosing Vietnam, please teach my ppl the proper English I want them to learn. None of that British stuff they're teaching over there. Im tired of hearing my ppl speaking stuff with Uhs and Ahs....and ++%+ or skoon instead of Cool or school....
pimp.gif

just dont expect to live like you do here, thats most of the reason people cant handle it an end up goin home... they dont expect serious sacrifice

just dont expect to live like you do here, thats most of the reason people cant handle it an end up goin home... they dont expect serious sacrifice

Originally Posted by souls 4 riches

I havent moved to either but i have been to both more than 20 times. My cousin lives in Saigon and my boy lives on the outskirts of bangkok and sometimes in Pattaya. Dont get it twisted with these dudes that never been there talking bout its nothing but hookers. You got hookers in the states but the only difference is that thailand aint prudish about it. Vietnam is communist and thailand is a monarchy. From my friend/cousin the things they miss is the food and conveniences of the states. Ive been all over asia and ive meet a lot of english teachers on their visa run and most of them say teaching in korea is the best because of pay/cost of living. Thailand and vietnam can get a little expensive on cost of living with both having 200% tax on vehicle purchases. But if i didnt work for an airline i would teach english in a different country every year.  

Originally Posted by souls 4 riches

I havent moved to either but i have been to both more than 20 times. My cousin lives in Saigon and my boy lives on the outskirts of bangkok and sometimes in Pattaya. Dont get it twisted with these dudes that never been there talking bout its nothing but hookers. You got hookers in the states but the only difference is that thailand aint prudish about it. Vietnam is communist and thailand is a monarchy. From my friend/cousin the things they miss is the food and conveniences of the states. Ive been all over asia and ive meet a lot of english teachers on their visa run and most of them say teaching in korea is the best because of pay/cost of living. Thailand and vietnam can get a little expensive on cost of living with both having 200% tax on vehicle purchases. But if i didnt work for an airline i would teach english in a different country every year.  

I remember at the Thailand/Cambodia Border there was this guy from Africa and everyone was staring at him. It quite possibly could of been the first African they have ever seen 
laugh.gif

I remember at the Thailand/Cambodia Border there was this guy from Africa and everyone was staring at him. It quite possibly could of been the first African they have ever seen 
laugh.gif

Just came back from a year in Saigon (HCMC). I'll come back to this thread later.

Just came back from a year in Saigon (HCMC). I'll come back to this thread later.

I'm currently living in Thailand

-The weather is either hot/humid or rainy/humid
-People are less likely to rip you off if you speak some thai
-If you're going to shop for clothes/electronics/furniture, make sure that you bargain to the fullest
-Street food is cheaper but rarely gets you full
-You haven't lived till you tried Coco's Curry in MBK
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

-The subway is WAY cheaper than the taxi, $1 gets you everywhere in the city
-Don't associate with anyone that approaches you at all..
-Remember to hydrate, drink a lot of water, I was a victim last summer, smh...

I'm currently living in Thailand

-The weather is either hot/humid or rainy/humid
-People are less likely to rip you off if you speak some thai
-If you're going to shop for clothes/electronics/furniture, make sure that you bargain to the fullest
-Street food is cheaper but rarely gets you full
-You haven't lived till you tried Coco's Curry in MBK
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

-The subway is WAY cheaper than the taxi, $1 gets you everywhere in the city
-Don't associate with anyone that approaches you at all..
-Remember to hydrate, drink a lot of water, I was a victim last summer, smh...

I started writing out a long response to the thoughts/ comments in this thread and the computer gods decided to close safari so I will try again.
1.In response to Vietnam: Yes there is a great deal of distrust/ dislike between the north and south. People in the north will tell you there are murderers and killers running the streets of Ho Chi Minh, and to be careful because you might get killed if you go there. (Far from True) People in Ho Chi Minh will be quick to tell you not to go to the north because the people there eat dog (True indeed, they do eat dog in the north.) Yes HCM is much more advance than Hanoi, and feels more "western" but this is one of the reasons I am drawn to Hanoi. I feel the growth and hunger for development going on in hanoi is a great indicator of the direction of the future of business in Vietnam, and I feel there is great benefit to getting in on the ground floor so to speak. Yes, cost of living has skyrocketed the past few years in vietnam, and yes it is not nearly as desirable to live as a place like thailand but where opportunity is concerned its going to be place like Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Burma etc that will be big booms over the next few years.

2. Where Thailand is concerned obviously the level of comfort in terms of availability of familiar items and an overall more "western style of life" is concerned Thailand rivals any other major metropolis in the western world. That would be my major motivation for choosing it as a place of residence, but the way i see it im still young and if i can grind it out in a place like vietnam for a few years and stack some chips i can do whatever i want after that so comfort though important isnt at the top of my list. Yes there are $10 hookers, not my motivation though, ive found in asia being a westerner and in many cases being black makes it very easy to meet girls whether it be in the mall or whatever so i'll stay away from the $10 joints and the Std's the european sex tourists leave with them. 
laugh.gif

Last things i will address are that though i will be teaching when i initially get there it is not by any means my long term goal, but rather something i can use to subsidize my income before i can get my other plans rolling. Yes I want to teach them proper english none of that UK nonsense, and i plan to do my best to help these people learn the language.

#2 A note on "race issues" in Asia. One thing people need to understand is the difference between an "African American" and a true "African" it has been my experience in asia that someone will ask my race and i will tell them im black (sidenote: im light skinned) and they will be quick to reply "no, you are not black" most people would refer to black's in the literal sense or in a lot of cases true africans, and a great deal of their dislike for them comes from well you know the usual scamming, etc. Shout out to the nigerians gettin that "US $67 million in my bank account money" 

And interestingly enough Vietnam is one of the few is not one of the only countries in asia where race really plays no factor the to person of any importance so long as you are providing them with a service they need/ or teaching them what they want to know or have valuable input. this may not apply to the taxi driver on the street but runs true largely within the business sector. 

Anyway ill be going to Thailand (Bangkok, Pattaya) and Vietnam( HCM and hanoi) in like 2.5 weeks, to check out potential housing, business opportunities and to reestablish and develop my contacts in that part of the world.

I know there's gotta be some more people on here living overseas, Im tryna hear some good stories!

I started writing out a long response to the thoughts/ comments in this thread and the computer gods decided to close safari so I will try again.
1.In response to Vietnam: Yes there is a great deal of distrust/ dislike between the north and south. People in the north will tell you there are murderers and killers running the streets of Ho Chi Minh, and to be careful because you might get killed if you go there. (Far from True) People in Ho Chi Minh will be quick to tell you not to go to the north because the people there eat dog (True indeed, they do eat dog in the north.) Yes HCM is much more advance than Hanoi, and feels more "western" but this is one of the reasons I am drawn to Hanoi. I feel the growth and hunger for development going on in hanoi is a great indicator of the direction of the future of business in Vietnam, and I feel there is great benefit to getting in on the ground floor so to speak. Yes, cost of living has skyrocketed the past few years in vietnam, and yes it is not nearly as desirable to live as a place like thailand but where opportunity is concerned its going to be place like Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Burma etc that will be big booms over the next few years.

2. Where Thailand is concerned obviously the level of comfort in terms of availability of familiar items and an overall more "western style of life" is concerned Thailand rivals any other major metropolis in the western world. That would be my major motivation for choosing it as a place of residence, but the way i see it im still young and if i can grind it out in a place like vietnam for a few years and stack some chips i can do whatever i want after that so comfort though important isnt at the top of my list. Yes there are $10 hookers, not my motivation though, ive found in asia being a westerner and in many cases being black makes it very easy to meet girls whether it be in the mall or whatever so i'll stay away from the $10 joints and the Std's the european sex tourists leave with them. 
laugh.gif

Last things i will address are that though i will be teaching when i initially get there it is not by any means my long term goal, but rather something i can use to subsidize my income before i can get my other plans rolling. Yes I want to teach them proper english none of that UK nonsense, and i plan to do my best to help these people learn the language.

#2 A note on "race issues" in Asia. One thing people need to understand is the difference between an "African American" and a true "African" it has been my experience in asia that someone will ask my race and i will tell them im black (sidenote: im light skinned) and they will be quick to reply "no, you are not black" most people would refer to black's in the literal sense or in a lot of cases true africans, and a great deal of their dislike for them comes from well you know the usual scamming, etc. Shout out to the nigerians gettin that "US $67 million in my bank account money" 

And interestingly enough Vietnam is one of the few is not one of the only countries in asia where race really plays no factor the to person of any importance so long as you are providing them with a service they need/ or teaching them what they want to know or have valuable input. this may not apply to the taxi driver on the street but runs true largely within the business sector. 

Anyway ill be going to Thailand (Bangkok, Pattaya) and Vietnam( HCM and hanoi) in like 2.5 weeks, to check out potential housing, business opportunities and to reestablish and develop my contacts in that part of the world.

I know there's gotta be some more people on here living overseas, Im tryna hear some good stories!

i am on 2 years living in bangkok, hate it.

i been to Hanoi, i hated Hanoi even more. don't go to Hanoi!!! if its one of those 2 go to BKK.

Back
Top Bottom