Anybody have any experiences background checks/security clearances/references?

Having a record these days isnt a joke. Im happy that im in the construction field because every other job option gets thrown out the window

Yeah you are right about that..I am thankful for the job I have, but it is a fraction of what I used to make and it not a solid career.  I guess the deck is stacked to finally make that move and go full force with the entrepreneur route.  I won't need a clearance or background check to hire myself.

Yeah you are right about that..I am thankful for the job I have, but it is a fraction of what I used to make and it not a solid career.  I guess the deck is stacked to finally make that move and go full force with the entrepreneur route.  I won't need a clearance or background check to hire myself.

Thats how I feel. I ended copping out to grand larceny in the 1st and did a little time (good lawyer but expensive as hell). Was crazy at first ( grand larceny 1st, impersonating a officer 1st, facilitating a burglary 1st goes on a little longer). Its like once you @#$% up there are so many places that dont even want to hear your story. It become all about who you know now and not what you know.

Thats how I feel. I ended copping out to grand larceny in the 1st and did a little time (good lawyer but expensive as hell). Was crazy at first ( grand larceny 1st, impersonating a officer 1st, facilitating a burglary 1st goes on a little longer). Its like once you @#$% up there are so many places that dont even want to hear your story. It become all about who you know now and not what you know.

I hear that man...the system is all about money.  You will either pay out the backside for an attorney who doesn't give an F about you or your life...strictly that check or you will get destroyed in court with a rack of charges stacked on you, knowing you cannot afford to go to trial or you won't risk facing 5 felonies and 4 misdemeanors and you will be "forced" to cop a plea. 

It is definitely bogus and it sucks, because if you are honest....people don't want to hear honest, they won't to see a clean record or have you know someone that will give you a pass or turn the other cheek to previous mistakes.

I feel you though...some things happen from poor circumstances, bad timing, bad decisions, or a combination of all those.  They don't define most people, but sadly society or opportunities do judge.

I hear that man...the system is all about money.  You will either pay out the backside for an attorney who doesn't give an F about you or your life...strictly that check or you will get destroyed in court with a rack of charges stacked on you, knowing you cannot afford to go to trial or you won't risk facing 5 felonies and 4 misdemeanors and you will be "forced" to cop a plea. 

It is definitely bogus and it sucks, because if you are honest....people don't want to hear honest, they won't to see a clean record or have you know someone that will give you a pass or turn the other cheek to previous mistakes.

I feel you though...some things happen from poor circumstances, bad timing, bad decisions, or a combination of all those.  They don't define most people, but sadly society or opportunities do judge.

Thats what it is. They try to throw the book at you. Wanted to give a kid 10yr so what other choice do you have but to go get a top notch lawyer (10-15k I believed i payed). It gets to the point that you end up taking what they give you.

You serve you time and when you come home your still serving time. No one wants to give you a job. Yea you have some people that use their record as an excuse of why they keep doing the same dumb $%*+ but then you a have a few that try to get back on track but when you have so much going against you its hard.

When I came home I had a few job interview were everything went good. Basically got the jobs but then when they do your background check its a whole new ball game. Funny thing is even the people that hire you come back and look at you crazy. That why I just want back to doing what I've been doing since HS. Union construction worker.

Good luck Op. The leaf gotta turn eventually

Thats what it is. They try to throw the book at you. Wanted to give a kid 10yr so what other choice do you have but to go get a top notch lawyer (10-15k I believed i payed). It gets to the point that you end up taking what they give you.

You serve you time and when you come home your still serving time. No one wants to give you a job. Yea you have some people that use their record as an excuse of why they keep doing the same dumb $%*+ but then you a have a few that try to get back on track but when you have so much going against you its hard.

When I came home I had a few job interview were everything went good. Basically got the jobs but then when they do your background check its a whole new ball game. Funny thing is even the people that hire you come back and look at you crazy. That why I just want back to doing what I've been doing since HS. Union construction worker.

Good luck Op. The leaf gotta turn eventually

I agree and feel everything you said.  Some people do or are habitual offenders that truly don't care about where they are going, but some people find themselves  the victim of an unfortunate situation, bad luck, bad timing, or bad decisions.  I don't feel like my record or situations define me or show my character...I am human and normal, it is just the cards that were dealt....playing them effectively is the tough part. 

I just had another job offer today...drug test and background pending of course.  Never been concerned with the drug test...but I will see how this background goes.  On this job she gave me a practice contract to do and I tore it up and she was impressed.  This will be the kicker if the background stops me as I just showed her how I can help her company.

I will give it one more month of grinding and dealing with the rejection....but one can only hear no so many times until it is time to move on to something else I guess.

I agree and feel everything you said.  Some people do or are habitual offenders that truly don't care about where they are going, but some people find themselves  the victim of an unfortunate situation, bad luck, bad timing, or bad decisions.  I don't feel like my record or situations define me or show my character...I am human and normal, it is just the cards that were dealt....playing them effectively is the tough part. 

I just had another job offer today...drug test and background pending of course.  Never been concerned with the drug test...but I will see how this background goes.  On this job she gave me a practice contract to do and I tore it up and she was impressed.  This will be the kicker if the background stops me as I just showed her how I can help her company.

I will give it one more month of grinding and dealing with the rejection....but one can only hear no so many times until it is time to move on to something else I guess.

you should be fine. I know a lot of peeps in NGA with some sick records lol. all i really worry bout is having my credit good. Just make sure you dont lie
bout anything. all goes good when you tell them the truth

you should be fine. I know a lot of peeps in NGA with some sick records lol. all i really worry bout is having my credit good. Just make sure you dont lie
bout anything. all goes good when you tell them the truth

I am always straight up as I feel that one person will feel me and understand the circumstances and that once you hear the story....it doesn't match up to the severity of the name of the charges. 

I mean I have a misdemeanor trespassing charge on my record that resulted from a drunk driver hitting my car....us getting into an argument and me receiving a disorderly conduct charge that was plead to trespassing. 

I have just had issues getting the SF85 to go through and receive the adjudication process. 

It seems as though honesty is best and that is all I know how to be, but people don't want to hear honest....they want to hear "I have no charges or issues that may prevent a clearance or public trust...." as said with a smile.

I am persistent and prepared though.

I am always straight up as I feel that one person will feel me and understand the circumstances and that once you hear the story....it doesn't match up to the severity of the name of the charges. 

I mean I have a misdemeanor trespassing charge on my record that resulted from a drunk driver hitting my car....us getting into an argument and me receiving a disorderly conduct charge that was plead to trespassing. 

I have just had issues getting the SF85 to go through and receive the adjudication process. 

It seems as though honesty is best and that is all I know how to be, but people don't want to hear honest....they want to hear "I have no charges or issues that may prevent a clearance or public trust...." as said with a smile.

I am persistent and prepared though.

Finally got on with a Government CTR again...going to the Govt site on Monday to get a building badge and a CAC issued. 

I had expungments granted through representing myself over the Fall so I am hoping all of this works in my favor. 

From defense in the courtroom to supporting the Office of the Secretary of Defense.

"Anything is possible...."

Finally got on with a Government CTR again...going to the Govt site on Monday to get a building badge and a CAC issued. 

I had expungments granted through representing myself over the Fall so I am hoping all of this works in my favor. 

From defense in the courtroom to supporting the Office of the Secretary of Defense.

"Anything is possible...."

Blessed dude. ..it seems like you got mad interviews. I don't have a criminal record but my past employments reasons for leaving aint the best either. So I too dread the background check. Last reason was got in a conflict with my boss/CFO about stock options discrimination to the older heads who been working since company infancy. Then I got fired from public accounting after 3 working years over "inattention to detail" bs. So I can relate to a very minor, minor degree.

Good people rise and it seems you have risen. Never met you but I'm seriously happy for you coz getting back into gov't was a feat

Blessed dude. ..it seems like you got mad interviews. I don't have a criminal record but my past employments reasons for leaving aint the best either. So I too dread the background check. Last reason was got in a conflict with my boss/CFO about stock options discrimination to the older heads who been working since company infancy. Then I got fired from public accounting after 3 working years over "inattention to detail" bs. So I can relate to a very minor, minor degree.

Good people rise and it seems you have risen. Never met you but I'm seriously happy for you coz getting back into gov't was a feat

Originally Posted by bauercans

I used to pride myself on keeping it real and never waivering under pressure.  Too much pride I guess, because yeah it felt good to stand up for what I believed in at my last Govt job and I could sleep fine at night knowing I didn't cowher when things get intense, but I will definitely use more tact and a smarter approach as I see how difficult things are to explain to new faces and how important a record/background really is.   

As long as things go smooth next week, that would be phenomenal and I know that each one of these 5 or 6 jobs that pulled out on me and failed led me closer and closer.  It sucked to lose certain things or people because of a job or a background...but those are not things I would want anyways or shouldn't want.  

Originally Posted by bauercans

I used to pride myself on keeping it real and never waivering under pressure.  Too much pride I guess, because yeah it felt good to stand up for what I believed in at my last Govt job and I could sleep fine at night knowing I didn't cowher when things get intense, but I will definitely use more tact and a smarter approach as I see how difficult things are to explain to new faces and how important a record/background really is.   

As long as things go smooth next week, that would be phenomenal and I know that each one of these 5 or 6 jobs that pulled out on me and failed led me closer and closer.  It sucked to lose certain things or people because of a job or a background...but those are not things I would want anyways or shouldn't want.  

Back
Top Bottom