Anyone a RN

Currently in an RN program at a state university in Cali. Impacted as hell out here so it feels good to know that all i gotta do is pass my classes and ill be straight. To get in, i took classes (anatomy, physiology, microbiology) at a CC and I ended up with a 3.3 GPA for my prereq grades, which is low by Cali nursing program standards. My TEAS test score was just average too. I lucked out when i was put on the waitlist and the university finally accepted me 2 months before the program started. People say that its hardwork, but i honestly feel like its been kinda easy so far. Maybe its because i actually enjoy what im learning. As far as being one of the only males in a class full of females ... i have no problems with that
devil.gif

Hospitals will start phasing out licenses vocational nurses. its only a matter of time, so its best to go for that BSN
I think if you choose to go to a trade school you would need to go from LVN --> RN --> BSN. Some people go the trade school route with that in mind; however most just get stuck working a skilled nursing facilities as LVNs instead of furthering their education for that bachelor's degree.

I have 3 semesters to go. Can anyone can share advice on what i can do now to set myself up to find a job after i pass my NCLEX?
Since it seems that california has an over abundance of RNs looking for hospital jobs, it's going to be about who you know. I would suggest getting on the good side of floor managers and charge nurses while doing your clincals. Also, if you can volunteer or work at a local hospital. A classmate of my sister worked for a hospital doing non nursing duties and once she graduates from nursing school, she'll have a job as a RN because she already has seniority at that hospital. Also, get on the good side of your instructors. It'll make it easier to get recommendation letters later. Do extra curricular activities, get your acls, pals and other certifications that'll make your resume stand out from the hundreds of resumes that hospitals have to look at

Cali seems to be the only area that is stacked with nurses....you can find jobs damn near anywhere else...especially if you have a bsn...seems like the majority of staff nurses here in NC just have their associates

Back
Top Bottom