Anyone a vegetarian?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Method, hope you see this. Can you give me YOUR meal plan for like 2-3 days. I am interested in what you eat.

One thing about Westerners, we have been trained to allow meat to dominate our plates. This is one thing I have consciously thought about as time has gone on. More veggie consumption has been my goal. Raw ones at that. I hardly ever eat cooked veggies, I have been turned off by them as of late.

I am seriously thinking about becoming vegan as I read more.

Sorry, didn't catch this until today.  

I'm kind of torn on this question, because on one hand ideally I'd recommend a purely raw vegan diet, because I believe that's the healthiest way to live, but I also want people to stick with and enjoy veganism, and there is a transition involved - especially with a raw vegan diet.  We become accustomed to highly seasoned foods with certain textural qualities and raw vegan, when prepared by most people at least (there are some amazing raw vegan restaurants out there whose chefs can perform seemingly impossible feats of culinary alchemy with raw ingredients), takes some getting used to - and most people probably won't have the patience to stick with it long enough to really appreciate the health benefits and become acclimated to a different way of living.  

For transitional purposes, I believe it helped me to try some of the meat substitutes out there and discover that a vegan diet could be at least as healthy and enjoyable as what I'd been eating.  

So, what I'll do is this:  I'll link you to a preview version of The Thrive Diet, which includes both recipes and sections of a 60 day meal plan, 

http://books.google.com/books?id=Dn...&resnum=1&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

(If that doesn't work, just search for "The Thrive Diet" on books.google.com) 

and I'll also list a few vegan convenience foods that are easy for anyone (save the most helpless of bachelors) to prepare that can help ease you in to the lifestyle.  

http://www.gardein.com/index.php  

Gardein makes an outstanding line of meat substitutes.  If you look at the labels, you'll notice that some of them are a bit high in sodium, etc. - but they're healthier than their flesh counterparts and if you're purely interested in the diet for health reasons then just skip it and go with a raw vegan diet of the sort outlined in The Thrive Diet.  

The Chipotle Lime faux chicken tenders are great, for example.  Really, it's tough to eat something like that and say to yourself "the textural difference between this and regular chicken is so important to me that it's worth slaughtering billions of sentient creatures for."  I think you serve these without specifying that they're mock meat, most people honestly couldn't even tell.  

http://www.tofurky.com 

Tofurky has sort of an image problem for omnivores, because it's necessarily associated with what was, in the past, an awkward turkey substitute known best for sending red meat eatin' men's men into fits of apoplectic rage when introduced to their holiday tables.  We're past the dark ages of meat substitutes - so whatever your experience with mock meats you may have had in the 80s or early 90s should be forgotten.  Tofurky now produces a wide variety of truly convincing meat substitutes. 

I particularly recommend some of their deli slices.  You can make an unbelievable cheesesteak using their philly style slices and Daiya brand cheese substitute (http://www.daiyafoods.com/).  

Cheese has always been one of the hardest products to substitute with a vegan diet, and in the past you've really had little choice but to let it go.  I understand the point Stockholm makes about pizza in New York.. half my family's from New York and I grew up on that, but I was fine with letting it go once I learned how dairy cows are actually treated.  These days, though, there are pizzas out there that are, if nothing else, good enough - and the more you learn about the health issues associated with dairy consumption the less you'll want to eat it anyway.  Tofurky makes some oven-ready frozen pizzas using Daiya that are, if nothing else, comparable to a lot of similar products made using real cheese.

Although the Thrive books include recipes for some great energy bars made primarily from fresh dates, if you're in a rush and you need something packaged Pro Bar makes some very good whole foods, organic energy bars that are 100% vegan.  http://theprobar.com/

Vega, online at http://myvega.com/, produces some outstanding supplements, which are especially great for athletes.  I personally use the Vega Whole Food Health Optimizer.  It's a very convenient way to ensure that your body's getting everything it needs.  Honestly, the only thing traditional protein supplement cycling does well is develop kidney stones.  This is a better balanced product that can serve both as a worthy supplement for athletes or a meal replacement for those who simply don't have the time to eat as frequently (or as well) as they should.  

The foundation of your diet should be leafy greens, but I know that most people don't find salads exciting so I figured some of the above products would help those interested begin to wean themselves off animal products without the transition seeming quite so sudden and dramatic.  

It's a valid point. But what about pesticides, chemicals, and steroids are eco-friendly? If the whole world went vegan, things would probably return to how they should be. I know it's a loaded statement, but maybe one day we will find out.
Animal agriculture, and I know I say this all the time but it bears repeating, is responsible for a greater contribution to global warming than all forms of human transportation combined.  Don't forget that the overwhelming majority of corn, soy, etc. grown around the world is used for livestock feed.  These are all resources that could be used far more efficiently to feed human beings.  
It is absolutely possible to grow crops without toxic chemicals and genetic engineering.  Wise use of crop rotation and other techniques make that possible.  You'll get more food per square foot than you could through modern monoculture.  The problem is that it just takes more effort, which makes it less profitable - if you exclude all of the associated costs of the health and environmental damages it causes.  

If even conservative estimates regarding climate change hold up, we'll need to transition away from the stereotypical Western diet sooner rather than later.  The world can't eat the way Americans eat.  Set aside, for a  moment, the fact that it's undesirable;  it's simply unsustainable.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Method, hope you see this. Can you give me YOUR meal plan for like 2-3 days. I am interested in what you eat.

One thing about Westerners, we have been trained to allow meat to dominate our plates. This is one thing I have consciously thought about as time has gone on. More veggie consumption has been my goal. Raw ones at that. I hardly ever eat cooked veggies, I have been turned off by them as of late.

I am seriously thinking about becoming vegan as I read more.

Sorry, didn't catch this until today.  

I'm kind of torn on this question, because on one hand ideally I'd recommend a purely raw vegan diet, because I believe that's the healthiest way to live, but I also want people to stick with and enjoy veganism, and there is a transition involved - especially with a raw vegan diet.  We become accustomed to highly seasoned foods with certain textural qualities and raw vegan, when prepared by most people at least (there are some amazing raw vegan restaurants out there whose chefs can perform seemingly impossible feats of culinary alchemy with raw ingredients), takes some getting used to - and most people probably won't have the patience to stick with it long enough to really appreciate the health benefits and become acclimated to a different way of living.  

For transitional purposes, I believe it helped me to try some of the meat substitutes out there and discover that a vegan diet could be at least as healthy and enjoyable as what I'd been eating.  

So, what I'll do is this:  I'll link you to a preview version of The Thrive Diet, which includes both recipes and sections of a 60 day meal plan, 

http://books.google.com/books?id=Dn...&resnum=1&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

(If that doesn't work, just search for "The Thrive Diet" on books.google.com) 

and I'll also list a few vegan convenience foods that are easy for anyone (save the most helpless of bachelors) to prepare that can help ease you in to the lifestyle.  

http://www.gardein.com/index.php  

Gardein makes an outstanding line of meat substitutes.  If you look at the labels, you'll notice that some of them are a bit high in sodium, etc. - but they're healthier than their flesh counterparts and if you're purely interested in the diet for health reasons then just skip it and go with a raw vegan diet of the sort outlined in The Thrive Diet.  

The Chipotle Lime faux chicken tenders are great, for example.  Really, it's tough to eat something like that and say to yourself "the textural difference between this and regular chicken is so important to me that it's worth slaughtering billions of sentient creatures for."  I think you serve these without specifying that they're mock meat, most people honestly couldn't even tell.  

http://www.tofurky.com 

Tofurky has sort of an image problem for omnivores, because it's necessarily associated with what was, in the past, an awkward turkey substitute known best for sending red meat eatin' men's men into fits of apoplectic rage when introduced to their holiday tables.  We're past the dark ages of meat substitutes - so whatever your experience with mock meats you may have had in the 80s or early 90s should be forgotten.  Tofurky now produces a wide variety of truly convincing meat substitutes. 

I particularly recommend some of their deli slices.  You can make an unbelievable cheesesteak using their philly style slices and Daiya brand cheese substitute (http://www.daiyafoods.com/).  

Cheese has always been one of the hardest products to substitute with a vegan diet, and in the past you've really had little choice but to let it go.  I understand the point Stockholm makes about pizza in New York.. half my family's from New York and I grew up on that, but I was fine with letting it go once I learned how dairy cows are actually treated.  These days, though, there are pizzas out there that are, if nothing else, good enough - and the more you learn about the health issues associated with dairy consumption the less you'll want to eat it anyway.  Tofurky makes some oven-ready frozen pizzas using Daiya that are, if nothing else, comparable to a lot of similar products made using real cheese.

Although the Thrive books include recipes for some great energy bars made primarily from fresh dates, if you're in a rush and you need something packaged Pro Bar makes some very good whole foods, organic energy bars that are 100% vegan.  http://theprobar.com/

Vega, online at http://myvega.com/, produces some outstanding supplements, which are especially great for athletes.  I personally use the Vega Whole Food Health Optimizer.  It's a very convenient way to ensure that your body's getting everything it needs.  Honestly, the only thing traditional protein supplement cycling does well is develop kidney stones.  This is a better balanced product that can serve both as a worthy supplement for athletes or a meal replacement for those who simply don't have the time to eat as frequently (or as well) as they should.  

The foundation of your diet should be leafy greens, but I know that most people don't find salads exciting so I figured some of the above products would help those interested begin to wean themselves off animal products without the transition seeming quite so sudden and dramatic.  

It's a valid point. But what about pesticides, chemicals, and steroids are eco-friendly? If the whole world went vegan, things would probably return to how they should be. I know it's a loaded statement, but maybe one day we will find out.
Animal agriculture, and I know I say this all the time but it bears repeating, is responsible for a greater contribution to global warming than all forms of human transportation combined.  Don't forget that the overwhelming majority of corn, soy, etc. grown around the world is used for livestock feed.  These are all resources that could be used far more efficiently to feed human beings.  
It is absolutely possible to grow crops without toxic chemicals and genetic engineering.  Wise use of crop rotation and other techniques make that possible.  You'll get more food per square foot than you could through modern monoculture.  The problem is that it just takes more effort, which makes it less profitable - if you exclude all of the associated costs of the health and environmental damages it causes.  

If even conservative estimates regarding climate change hold up, we'll need to transition away from the stereotypical Western diet sooner rather than later.  The world can't eat the way Americans eat.  Set aside, for a  moment, the fact that it's undesirable;  it's simply unsustainable.

My parents have participating in the Daniel Fast, which their church is doing, and i can say they Chick'n Soy products are not bad. They are actually quite tasty, so I have a new respect for those who are giving up meat.

My parents have participating in the Daniel Fast, which their church is doing, and i can say they Chick'n Soy products are not bad. They are actually quite tasty, so I have a new respect for those who are giving up meat.

Man, I lasted a week! =(...thought I was gonna make it until all my mom kept cooking was steak or chicken smh...couldnt resist..I said sorry to the cows before I took a bite

Man, I lasted a week! =(...thought I was gonna make it until all my mom kept cooking was steak or chicken smh...couldnt resist..I said sorry to the cows before I took a bite

Originally Posted by MustaKrakish

Originally Posted by MzD650

4195628634_310e9bd448.jpg
roll.gif

roll.gif
 lovin the dinosour

Back
Top Bottom