Anyone cancel traveling/living abroad after 9/11 happened? vol. Nope, I'm good

I was just thinking about how, pre-9/11, I was gung-ho about traveling all over the world and even wanted to live in the U.K. for awhile.

But since 9/11 happened and seeing the marked difference in the world before then to now, I just don't have much interest in it anymore. And it wasn'teven a concious decision.

Of course, countless people have continued worldwide travel and even living overseas the past 7 years without issue; I'm not saying I'll never travel.

It's simply that the world used to seem like a much more open place. Now, the thought that something wild could go down literally anywhere at literallyanytime, even in "safe" countries, is more real than ever. In addition to the immense sadness and anger I felt on and after 9/11 about what thosebastard terrorists did, I developed an anger about the second-guessing they caused worldwide in the minds of millions of people - people feeling less sure theyor their loved ones would be safe traveling for business, vacation, etc.

As it turns out, I haven't been free to do all of that traveling the past number of years anyway but the way things have developed post-9/11, I justdon't have the same eagerness to go as I once did.

Anyone experience similar thoughts?

Sound off.

I want to travel more now. But thats because I'm older now (19) and have the opportunity to possible go to some of the places I didn't think I'deven be able to go to.

was going to go to Japan last week but was too much stuff going on in the news at the moment. cancelled.
ohwell.gif

In HS, my team went to Nike Indoor Track Nationals in Maryland the March after 9/11...around the corner from D.C. We was on a late flight back home to Indianaand there were like 4 Middle Eastern dudes on the flight. Seating didn't matter...you could sit anywhere. So...we had all the shotput/discuss guys and bigdudes sitting around them just in case.

I know. I know.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

I'm not worried about it now...but I hate flying anyways.

nah... went to japan last year, that place is safe as hell. i just wouldn't visit certain places, obvious places.

if anything, it was safer afterwards.

but in reality, the government(s) took away so many freedoms because of that.

i remember flying through tokyo shortly afterward (that christmas, i think).. and they were seriously opening every zipper and every pocket of everyone'shand carried luggage, looking through everything.. it was ridiculous 'cause it was in japan, not even anywhere near new york.

I mean it's true that you could never 100% eliminate risk before but I just don't have that zeal I once did to travel.

Like I said, for some, everything's status quo, no problem.

Pre-9/11 I don't think the idea of terrorism would've entered my mind at all.

Now, when I think "overseas", I think "I wonder if some terrorism will go down".

Yes, yes, it's no way to live but the idea of it had become so vivid in people's general conciousness that it's almost as if people the world overhave to kinda mentally accept the possibility much more than they would have had things not taken a turn for the worse since 9/11.

I just resent that apprehension. It should never have to enter anyone's mind when they're going overseas.

I'm gonna guess that you DON'T live in New York City.
No, but close.

If you change the way you live, you are giving them the victory.

Life was real before 9/11, unfortunately it took an event of that magnitude to make some people realize.

I went to Japan in 06, and if my career takes me to where I want it, I'll do a lot more traveling.

I can't lie, the thought does cross your mind, but I've never been one to let fear dictate my actions.

Just live man.

Originally Posted by I AM KNOWLEDGE

If you change the way you live, you are giving them the victory.

Life was real before 9/11, unfortunately it took an event of that magnitude to make some people realize.

I went to Japan in 06, and if my career takes me to where I want it, I'll do a lot more traveling.

I can't lie, the thought does cross your mind, but I've never been one to let fear dictate my actions.

Just live man.

That's accurate.

I don't make any decision nor live my life in fear. I'm just saying the way most people look at the world changed forever that day, and notnecessarily in a positive way. It's tough to get a grip on the idea that that kind of active hate is out there.

As I think you alluded to, there was probably a palpably false sense of security pre-9/11. But afterwards, that comfort - real or imagined - was considerablyshaken and I think that generally stunned people, myself included.

i think people are more aware, but that hasn't stopped anyone from going where they want. this is especially true for those who think 9/11 was an insidejob.

i think the most important thing is that you watch where you travel. for instance, right now wouldn't be the best time to visit certain parts of mexico
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Burns1923

I was just thinking about how, pre-9/11, I was gung-ho about traveling all over the world and even wanted to live in the U.K. for awhile.

But since 9/11 happened and seeing the marked difference in the world before then to now, I just don't have much interest in it anymore. And it wasn't even a concious decision.

Of course, countless people have continued worldwide travel and even living overseas the past 7 years without issue; I'm not saying I'll never travel.

It's simply that the world used to seem like a much more open place. Now, the thought that something wild could go down literally anywhere at literally anytime, even in "safe" countries, is more real than ever. In addition to the immense sadness and anger I felt on and after 9/11 about what those bastard terrorists did, I developed an anger about the second-guessing they caused worldwide in the minds of millions of people - people feeling less sure they or their loved ones would be safe traveling for business, vacation, etc.

As it turns out, I haven't been free to do all of that traveling the past number of years anyway but the way things have developed post-9/11, I just don't have the same eagerness to go as I once did.

Anyone experience similar thoughts?

Sound off.

Mark.

Like son said above, changing your life due to their terror actions gives them a W.

There's so much more to the world than the United States son.

I'm over in Europe now...it's beautiful.

Of course as a black male/ military member/ TS security clearance I'll never travel to certain countries for obvious reasons but you shouldn't let whatsome mark @%# open toe sandal chancletta wearing @%# *$+* *$+* *$+* did almost a decade ago influence you from experiencing everything the world has to offer.

Not me man. I love traveling and live abroad right now.

But I wouldn't visit Zimbabwe, Pakistan, Iran, Afganistan or Iraq.

I need to hit up Mexico though.

i think people are more aware, but that hasn't stopped anyone from going where they want. this is especially true for those who think 9/11 was an inside job.

finnns, my man, well that's just a ridiculous, baseless notion. I should hope those people would not let hate for Bush/gov't cloud theirbetter judgment, and also not sully the memories of those killed in the events of that day. Once the planes hit, they became like ultra-intense furnaces,melting girders like plastic. Unbelievable horror that day.
tired.gif

Mark.

Like son said above, changing your life due to their terror actions gives them a W.

There's so much more to the world than the United States son.

I'm over in Europe now...it's beautiful.

Of course as a black male/ military member/ TS security clearance I'll never travel to certain countries for obvious reasons but you shouldn't let what some mark @%# open toe sandal chancletta wearing @%# *$+* *$+* *$+* did almost a decade ago influence you from experiencing everything the world has to offer.

"Mark"? what's this?

I think your sentiments are spot on. The worst thing you can do after a tragedy is fundamentally change how you live. For me, the appeal of going where Iwanted to go overseas just flagged, not singularly because of the terrorism situation dampened things.

You mentioned serving in the military, right? Thank you for your service. I love all of our armed forces and appreciate the extraordinary job they do aroundthe world.

I live in NYC and catch the (E) right by WTC every day after work .... Such a beautiful place that I could never let that incident ruin my plans of travelingor still being here in NYC ... Serious

Back
Top Bottom