Anyone else have different accents around different ethnic groups?

Yea, I have my Memphis "accent" around my homies but when I'm around white people I have my proper voice on..Even elderly black people I talk proper. I know how to switch it up

Yea, I have my Memphis "accent" around my homies but when I'm around white people I have my proper voice on..Even elderly black people I talk proper. I know how to switch it up

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Man I say "Wassup" to CEOS, I don't care.

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

When I'm with Asians I talk faster (just a little bit, with some more slang), when I'm with white people I usually have perfect grammar. With black people I talk normally

Don't know many Latinos

When I'm with Asians I talk faster (just a little bit, with some more slang), when I'm with white people I usually have perfect grammar. With black people I talk normally

Don't know many Latinos

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

I play pick up soccer at this one field in Berkeley with a lot of immigrants from all over. Africa, Eastern and Western Europe, the Americas, literally from all over the world.

Anyway, I used to find myself speaking really broken English subconsciously. It was actually embarrassing and I had to work to stop it.

Like what would make me do that?
I've been guilty of this too, don't know why I do it either.  When I was abroad this summer and speaking to chicks who knew barely any English, I spoke straight ******ed
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Angryostrich

Just coming into work about 20 mintues ago I over heard a black guy trying to talk to a spanish girl. The spanish girl turned around and said she doesn't speak black. 

Rude %!% girls like this really get to me. And they think they be DOING it too!
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Angryostrich

Just coming into work about 20 mintues ago I over heard a black guy trying to talk to a spanish girl. The spanish girl turned around and said she doesn't speak black. 

Rude %!% girls like this really get to me. And they think they be DOING it too!
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

I play pick up soccer at this one field in Berkeley with a lot of immigrants from all over. Africa, Eastern and Western Europe, the Americas, literally from all over the world.

Anyway, I used to find myself speaking really broken English subconsciously. It was actually embarrassing and I had to work to stop it.

Like what would make me do that?
I've been guilty of this too, don't know why I do it either.  When I was abroad this summer and speaking to chicks who knew barely any English, I spoke straight ******ed
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by airbornho

Originally Posted by beh235

I never had an accent, but I speak properly around everyone. You speak how you speak. I had a roommate once that was like a human chameleon when it came to accents. It irritated me. I don't care what your accent is as long as you speak properly. Dude tried to sound white around white people, black around black people, and was Mr. Panama around spanish ppl
indifferent.gif
 (He was panamanian). I called him out for being a fraud, he got tight. My whole thing was, be who you are dude.

You speak? Then you have an accent. There's probably accents for even sign language so don't go on that 'I don't have an accent' nonsense.

I'm multilingual so I pay a lot of attention to variations in diction, tempo, context and culture for each language and subsection of the language. Everyone's definition of what 'proper' is depends on more factors than just what you consider proper. I'm not going to use lawyer talk when I'm talking to a kid. Part of being an effective communicator is being able to be flexible with getting your message across. If you try to get at everyone in just one way, you ain't getting nowhere. There's nothing wrong with having a little fun with how you speak.

I'm doing me though, have fun doing you.

Leave it to someone on NT to be judgemental and take it out of context. Go pick a fight with someone else. You sound arrogant by assuming my point of view.
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by airbornho

I never had an accent, but I speak properly around everyone. You speak how you speak. I had a roommate once that was like a human chameleon when it came to accents. It irritated me. I don't care what your accent is as long as you speak properly. Dude tried to sound white around white people, black around black people, and was Mr. Panama around spanish ppl
indifferent.gif
 (He was panamanian). I called him out for being a fraud, he got tight. My whole thing was, be who you are dude.

You speak? Then you have an accent. There's probably accents for even sign language so don't go on that 'I don't have an accent' nonsense.

I'm multilingual so I pay a lot of attention to variations in diction, tempo, context and culture for each language and subsection of the language. Everyone's definition of what 'proper' is depends on more factors than just what you consider proper. I'm not going to use lawyer talk when I'm talking to a kid. Part of being an effective communicator is being able to be flexible with getting your message across. If you try to get at everyone in just one way, you ain't getting nowhere. There's nothing wrong with having a little fun with how you speak.

I'm doing me though, have fun doing you.

Leave it to someone on NT to be judgemental and take it out of context. Go pick a fight with someone else. You sound arrogant by assuming my point of view.
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by SoundnFury

indifferent.gif

i consciously do this, ill admit it though. i see no problem adapting to the situation im in.
im half black half white. When im around my black fathers part of the family i talk differently then i do around my white mothers part and vice versa.

ive done it since i was born its natural and needed
The whole point of my post was to just be who you are. There are times where you speak professionally for work purposes and other times, you speak how you would speak with your friends. It just sounded like dude was confused. Be who you are and you will be accepted. He sounded like a confused clown. I lost respect for him after seeing that
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by SoundnFury

indifferent.gif

i consciously do this, ill admit it though. i see no problem adapting to the situation im in.
im half black half white. When im around my black fathers part of the family i talk differently then i do around my white mothers part and vice versa.

ive done it since i was born its natural and needed
The whole point of my post was to just be who you are. There are times where you speak professionally for work purposes and other times, you speak how you would speak with your friends. It just sounded like dude was confused. Be who you are and you will be accepted. He sounded like a confused clown. I lost respect for him after seeing that
30t6p3b.gif

beh235, I see what you're saying. It's just one of my peeves when people say they have 'no accent' because it isn't true

beh235, I see what you're saying. It's just one of my peeves when people say they have 'no accent' because it isn't true

i do this at work all the damn time lol.
i work at starbucks so i get so many different types of people

indians get hit up with the alo my friend
white people get the hey buddy
the younger crowd get hit with wassup man what can i get started for you
pretty girls get somethin like hows it goin
and so on...

at work especially it gets people to open up to you a little bit more and get them comfortable talking to you since our goal is to connect with the customer as much as we can.

about a month ago i said,
"hey buddy what can i get for you my friend"
to an indian man and
i got responded with
"my name is not buddy
indifferent.gif
, tall coffee please"
maybe my indian accent was on too heavy at the time, i noticed more americanized indians dont like it as much

one of the funniest responses ive ever gotten so  far
roll.gif
the whole crew was rollin as soon as the man left

i do this at work all the damn time lol.
i work at starbucks so i get so many different types of people

indians get hit up with the alo my friend
white people get the hey buddy
the younger crowd get hit with wassup man what can i get started for you
pretty girls get somethin like hows it goin
and so on...

at work especially it gets people to open up to you a little bit more and get them comfortable talking to you since our goal is to connect with the customer as much as we can.

about a month ago i said,
"hey buddy what can i get for you my friend"
to an indian man and
i got responded with
"my name is not buddy
indifferent.gif
, tall coffee please"
maybe my indian accent was on too heavy at the time, i noticed more americanized indians dont like it as much

one of the funniest responses ive ever gotten so  far
roll.gif
the whole crew was rollin as soon as the man left

Back
Top Bottom