Anyone else sick of ESPN?

Is has been like watching a soap opera these last couple of years. T.O., steroids and Bonds, Duke case, Kobe, O.J., Iverson, Vick, and it goes on and on.They latch on to a story and report on it ad nauseum. Outside the lines, Jim Rome, Around the Horn, PTI, Sports Center, and if thats not enough for you theywill cancel College Football live so (insert crazy pundit) can come on and say something controversial just for the hell of it. I seriously caught myselfwatching 8 mins of Code Name: The Cleaner last night, it was almost better than hearing Buster Olney repeat the same thing for 4 hrs. Why in the world is thereno channel to compete with Espn?

I think they are actually overly hated on this site.
People quick to jump all over them, and I do agree that they tend to overexpose certain players and pound certain stories into the ground

That being said
There is nothing I enjoy more than watching Sportscenter, their coverage of sporting events is top-notch, and they provide far and away the best news andcontent spanning television, radio, print and the internet.

No ESPN is not perfect, but life without it would suck.

There are 2 problems here.....ESPN has no real competition on TV, therefor we all have to continue to watch it because it's always there. We're used toit. We can't turn the dial to anything else that's relevant that is 24/7 for sports nationally that has sportscenter-type programming .

Second, ESPN is obsessed with "breaking the story first" which is more of an online thing but it also can be said for all their platforms. On theBottom Line and also their headline links on their site they often use their reporters' names (Mortenson, etc) as THE story because they broke it, asopposed to the story being the story. Like anyone cares.

Lastly they know they are getting viewers at different times during the day....some peeps dont turn on sportscenter till after work, some dont log on to theinternet till late at night, etc. So they just blast the headline news all day and night to grab those viewers. Most of us here at NT are younger and have ourTVs and computers on all the time so we are constantly getting the same story all the time and we make posts about how ******ed ESPN is cause we are bombardedwith it. The key is just us turning it off after awhile
laugh.gif

i like the network but i do grow tired of them creating controversy and repeating the same stories over and over

ESPN is like any news network go watch CNN or your local news station and it'll be the same thing. Breaking news and controversial topics will always becovered to the point of sickness. That's why I don't read the newspaper or watch too much of local news stations.

Im sick of them blowing up every situation that arises.
Im not watching it right now cause of that reason.

Yeah, I'm over ESPN. Besides games and the specialty shows (Baseball Tonight, College Gameday, and NFL Live), the hell with it. I'll read and see whatI want to read and see online.

No joke!

I'm boycotting BSPN for the next week. I watch the Lakes on KCAL anyways.

Agreed... i hate how they claim every decent team is "maybe the best of all time". they get on the nuts of teams way too much, and way too fast.,just gimme my scores and highlights. And anyone that employs Stuart Scott deserves to die.

That whole Barry Bonds "ED TV" shtick they hit us with yesterday was terrible. ESPN has become like Access Hollywood and Current Affair
smh.gif

I just hate how they talk about players that sports aren't even in season. I don't care about A-Rod, get to the NBA Highlights.

It's really funny though, because it used to be exactly what I want--sports 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Now I feel like they've slowly beenconverting the channel and sports in general into a drama. It seems that any "breaking" story is 100% related to drama (ie: team chemistry issueswith a star player, an injury that will keep a player out, trash talk between star players, phil jackson comments, what TO did in a pre-game show with a girl)and less about REAL sports issues (record breaking games, statistics, who the players really are/where they came from, breaking down the SPORT). And althoughI'm sure the drama is great for the ratings, I'm not sold on how great it is for the sports. I think the problem is executives at ESPN don't havetrouble sleeping at night with the excuse that, ratings = good for the sport but honestly all they really see is in dollar$.

I want the old 1980s, 90's ESPN. More Chris Berman, more SVP (I know he's new school, but I like him as an anchor), more Kenny Maine, more SPORTS

THe only thing I watch on ESPN is PTI. I can't remember the last time I actually sat down and watched anything else on that station when I wasn't drunk(sometimes SC is good for late night drunk viewing). Plus, highlights are better than feature stories.

espn and sportscenter specifically have turned into the entertainment tonight of sports. it's all gossip and hype. it's def fallen off.

it's still obviously appreciated though. i love baseball tonight.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

There are 2 problems here.....ESPN has no real competition on TV, therefor we all have to continue to watch it because it's always there. We're used to it. We can't turn the dial to anything else that's relevant that is 24/7 for sports nationally that has sportscenter-type programming .

Second, ESPN is obsessed with "breaking the story first" which is more of an online thing but it also can be said for all their platforms. On the Bottom Line and also their headline links on their site they often use their reporters' names (Mortenson, etc) as THE story because they broke it, as opposed to the story being the story. Like anyone cares.

Lastly they know they are getting viewers at different times during the day....some peeps dont turn on sportscenter till after work, some dont log on to the internet till late at night, etc. So they just blast the headline news all day and night to grab those viewers. Most of us here at NT are younger and have our TVs and computers on all the time so we are constantly getting the same story all the time and we make posts about how ******ed ESPN is cause we are bombarded with it. The key is just us turning it off after awhile
laugh.gif

Right on, man

be thankful youre not in canada where there are three all day sports channels but only cover hockey,hockey,curling,hockey and the cfl..oh and complain abouthow the raptors dont get any "american" respect..now back to hockey..

Back
Top Bottom