Anyone ever had Absinthe?

lol i tried this once at a house party a few years back.
it taste like they liquidated a million mint balls and turned it into a concentrated formula

It's disgusting. Tastes just like black licorice, but with the alcohol tang, making it damn near unbearable. I mixed it with just about everything but thetaste of it was just waaaayyy too strong to hide. +%!% will knock you on your !#$ if you have more than a few shots.

Originally Posted by potus2028

I saw it in the liq store the other day...I was curious, but then I saw the $#!+ was $70...worth it?
That aint the real deal, that's the commerical brand. The real brand u have to pour over sugar and specially made spoon as to cut and diluteit for consumption. Couple dudes on my floor freshman yr dropped $200 on a bottle shipped from somewhere in Europe, they def aint try to break bread. Evenoffered $5 for a shot
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Billy BloodBath

I had it during my travels throughout Europe a few months ago. The one truly memorable time I indulged was in the Netherlands...I was also under the influence of a massive amount of cocaine, some marijuana, a painkiller and several shots of vodka/a few pints. The night ended at the red-light district where I banged a hot blonde chick for 50 Euro. Good times, good times!
happy.gif
Additionally, it is indeed prepared in a whacky way involving a spoon and fire or something as another poster suggested but I wasn't really paying a great deal of attention.
Next time you go...hit my pm...ON Everythang I love!!!

[h1]Sorry, Absinthe Trippers: Scientists Say You're Just Really Drunk[/h1]

Read More http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/04/sorry-absinthe/#ixzz0dETEHlOh

pernodsampling.jpg

The long-cherished idea that absinthe, an anise-flavored alcoholic beverage with a history of use by artists like Van Gogh and Picasso, is or ever washallucinogenic might have met its death by data today.

German scientists put old bottles of the substance to the test and found that the liquid is 70 percent alcohol (140 proof) and 0 percent hallucination.

"All things considered, nothing besides ethanol was found in the absinthes that was able to explain the syndrome 'absinthism'," theresearchers wrote in an open-access paper in the Journal of Agriculturaland Food Chemistry.

Absinthe, widely known as the 'Green Fairy' was banned across Europe in the early 20th century after itbecame the purported cause of absinthism, the symptoms of which includedhallucinations, tremors and convulsions. It turns out that absinthism was probably just alcoholism.

Absinthe so scared the responsible adults of the world that only in the last few years was the substance allowed back onto the market. But when people failed toreport excellent trips, arguments sprung up about whether or not the newabsinthe was chemically equivalent to the old stuff.

The researchers took a systematic look at 13 samples of pre-ban absinthe and measured their levels of thujone, the active chemical component in thedrink's famed wormwood. They found them to be no higher than today's licorice-tasting brew.

"Today it seems a substantial minority of consumers want these myths to be true, even if there is no empirical evidence that they are," said thestudy's lead author Dirk Lachenmeier in a release. "It is hoped that this paper will go some way to refute at least the first of these myths,conclusively demonstrating that the thujone content of a representative selection of pre-ban absinthe… fell within the modern EU limit."

UPDATE: In the comments, Herbal Ed brings up a good point, saying "It sounds like they're not considering that thujone from the wormwood
(Artemisia absinthium) has probably broken down in to other components." I should have included this tidbit from the latter half of the paper in which theauthors say they "have not found any evidentiary or investigative support for … the proposition that thujone content changes in bottle, as a result ofaging or other environmental factors."

Image: Courtesy of Dirk Lachenmeier, showing the implements of their absinthe sampling process, including a vintage bottle of Pernod Fils, a popular pre-banabsinthe brand.

See Also: A fantastic Wired article - "The Mystery of the GreenMenace" - on Ted Breaux, one of Lachenmeier's collaborators for the most recent study.

Read More http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/04/sorry-absinthe/#ixzz0dETcuoi2

absinthe bars are cool for a couple drinks, the preparations are flashy

but absinthe isnt anything special, thujone in the quantities found in absinthe won't make you hallucinate.

edit: beat me too it
laugh.gif

ive tried it once before they legalized it out here, but i dont think i drank enough to make you hallucinate

Had some in Mexico a while back. Labeled said it was the kind produced from worm wood but I've heard the +@@* in Mexico isn't on par with the Euro+@@*. Drank a good amount, didn't hallucinate at all, hardly felt "drunk" at all.

I'd compare it more to leaning x 10 if anything. Was seeing the world in super slow motion, that's about all I remember.

w8uj2q.jpg

I don't know why bruh took a pic to show off absinthe in black and white.

Had the regular Version here in NYC. Was kinda wack. Prob cuz we aint do the sugar cube thing.

I'm not trying to hallucinate and see purple elephants...

Just wanna get drunk off something quicker. *kanye shrug

i took 10 shots with the sugar and heroin looking spoon and everything in munich. needless to say, i was drunk.

Back
Top Bottom