Anyone ever went skiing and/or snowboarding?

I am a snowboarder here. First of all do not double sock. Secondly I have a house in the PA area and the mountains there suck right now. Hardly any trials open, terrible conditions, grass and rocks all over the place and icy. If you want to get the full experience of either snowboarding or skiing I suggest if you can do it while there is real snow present. When you fall on real snow, it's like falling on pillows, when you fall on fake snow its ice, it will hurt.

I also suggest if you can you go to Camelback instead of Shawnee. Out of all the PA mountains camelback has the best conditions

Originally Posted by Numberr97

I am a snowboarder here. First of all do not double sock. Secondly I have a house in the PA area and the mountains there suck right now. Hardly any trials open, terrible conditions, grass and rocks all over the place and icy. If you want to get the full experience of either snowboarding or skiing I suggest if you can do it while there is real snow present. When you fall on real snow, it's like falling on pillows, when you fall on fake snow its ice, it will hurt.

I also suggest if you can you go to Camelback instead of Shawnee. Out of all the PA mountains camelback has the best conditions

Doesn't mean much because my friends are there right now and said that it's not worth the prices they're charging right now for full day runs because the conditions are garbage.

I tried snowboarding once (from Los Angeles). I was probably about 13, but that +*#% was not easy. Definitely not on some teach yourself and figure it out stuff...

Originally Posted by Biggie62

Originally Posted by Numberr97

Doesn't mean much because my friends are there right now and said that it's not worth the prices they're charging right now for full day runs because the conditions are garbage.
agreed. camelback is the best mtn in the poconos, but not right now. everything around here sucks right now. probably head up to wyndham or hunter soon though.

Originally Posted by GesheOneLove10

haha checking in here. My advice is do not snowboard. You're butt, back and wrists are gonna be mad sore in the morning from falling and getting back up.
The slope knowledge is that skiing's easier to learn, but harder to master. It's a much more natural stance for balance. The only bad thing, is if you're the only skier in your group, you'll be waiting for your friends a lot cause they'll be flopping aruond like fish outta water trying to get back up.

Good luck
Snowboarding > Skiing

Just playing
laugh.gif
. I've only tried snowboarding so I wouldn't know which is better. I want to try skiing though.

Have fun!

Wear a helmet.  
If you're snowboarding, have a friend push you on the shoulders from behind.  The foot that you put out to stop yourself should be your back foot.
If you're skiing, never cross the tips of your skis.

What a terrible season it's been so far.  I got 22 days of skiing in last winter.  So far I have 2 
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

office the wrote:

nothing better than smoking while up on the mountain

I once had an apres-ski spliff and the tobacco kept me awake and sharp for the montane sunset and the kush made the evergreens even more magical. Combined with some Uygherstani music on my iPod it made for one fantastic sunset and it made me conjure up images of the rare wealthy denizen of the Hindu Kush during periods of its even more uncommon periods of peace.

As with all sports, I prefer to be sober (unless you count caffeine as a drug) for any athletic undertaking and the only exception involves the ski slopes. Along with copious amounts of water, a mini flask of peppermint schnapps, helps to fortify me against the cold and make more daring on the tougher slopes.

It also does not matter how generally well conditioned you may be, ski newbies will feel a burning in every muscle and tendon from the navel to the feet. Use hot tubs liberally while enjoying a weekend on the slopes.

Great post
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

skiied when i was little, picked up snowboarding about 3-4 years ago. only been a couple times but if youre fairly athletic you'll pick it up quick. last year went to big bear and i did a boardslide on a box. ended up slipping and got a concussion. friends said i snowboarded down the rest of the hill and then they took me to hospital. i don't remember anything except waking up in the hospital bed to a fine nurse haha

This is my first time going and we will have a teacher there which is all part of the package that was paid for.

I'm planning to go for the first time. I was advised to try skiing, because snowboarding will take longer to learn.

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

Originally Posted by office the

nothing better than smoking while up on the mountain

I once had an apres-ski spliff and the tobacco kept me awake and sharp for the montane sunset and the kush made the evergreens even more magical. Combined with some Uygherstani music on my iPod it made for one fantastic sunset and it made me conjure up images of the rare wealthy denizen of the Hindu Kush during periods of its even more uncommon periods of peace.

As with all sports, I prefer to be sober (unless you count caffeine as a drug) for any athletic undertaking and the only exception involves the ski slopes. Along with copious amounts of water, a mini flask of peppermint schnapps, helps to fortify me against the cold and make more daring on the tougher slopes.

It also does not matter how generally well conditioned you may be, ski newbies will feel a burning in every muscle and tendon from the navel to the feet. Use hot tubs liberally while enjoying a weekend on the slopes.
real life...
i wouldnt have thought you would 
smokin.gif
... but the way you described it is awesome...

just chillen at the top of the mountain with your boys music blastin from a speaker and sparking up and taking a shot of something to keep you warm (dont get drunk)... then coming down with your headphones in...
smokin.gif

fist time i did this i almost hit a tree because i got too lifted for this activity....

real life...

i just realized i wont be able to snowboard this year... or maybe ever again ( cancer this year and i broke my collar bone and have a plate in there from about a year ago... will hurt in the cold and on a hard fall, too scared)
frown.gif

Do I need goggles to snowboard? I don't want to spend my money on something useless if it's not required for snowboarding.

best place to go from the NOVA area?

I hear mixed reviews from everywhere like wisp and snowshoe

Originally Posted by E z G z E

Do I need goggles to snowboard? I don't want to spend my money on something useless if it's not required for snowboarding.

its worth the investment. youll get a lot of kickup from other riders and skiiers and sometimes the wind blows snow into your face. definitely a must have accessory.

Went snowboarding last week for the first time in awhile. After a few runs on the bunny hill it became like riding a bike. Straight to the top of the mountain.

Anyway, what's this thread about? I didn't read...

I live in Utah... only thing to do here in the winter is ski and snowboard.

I sometimes will go 3-4 times a week if i can make it work with my class schedule

Originally Posted by SupraMan1784

its worth the investment. youll get a lot of kickup from other riders and skiiers and sometimes the wind blows snow into your face. definitely a must have accessory.
If you're riding for the first time or are just a beginner, you can get away with it, granted the weather's very mild. You'll prob want a pair of sunglasses at the very least. You'll notice as as you get better and faster that even if it's a bluebird day, the wind from your speed will eventually be too much for your eyes.

For your first time, I think sunglasses would do.  Once you start getting a feel for it, it's a must.  At first the speeds you'll be going at won't really knock your sunglasses off your face, but later on they will.  Plus with the sun hitting the snow, it gets really bright.  A good website to buy gear is whiskeymilitia.com.  It's one of those one deal at a time sites, and their snowboard gear posts up at a high discounted rate.

Back
Top Bottom