Anyone ever went skiing and/or snowboarding?

Used to ski A LOT while living in Utah. A couple seasons seemed like I went once a week. Since moving to Washington State, I haven't been yet.

Plan on going up to Whistler with some friends in February though.

A lot of people think snowboarding looks "cooler" than skiing, which is why many choose to snowboard over ski. But try both and see which sport you'll like more and stick to it. Skiing is fairly easy to learn and you should be able to go down green slopes your first time with little problems. Snowboarding is harder to get used to your first time.

Skiing is one of my favorite hobbies. I was able to ski down blue (intermediate) the first time I went four years ago and only fell like five times, which isn't bad at all.
laugh.gif
Crossing skis is hard to avoid for beginners. Learn to make S turns and go slowly your first time around. Going fast straight down is fun, but can be very dangerous if you're just starting.

I know how y'all snowboarders love to make fun of us skiers.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by theone218

best place to go from the NOVA area?

I hear mixed reviews from everywhere like wisp and snowshoe
I've gone to Wisp, Silver Springs, Whitetail, Ski Liberty, and Massanutten. I like Wisp the most.

haha.. get some goggles.. if you use sunglasses.. youll end up crushing them with your face.. or lose and eye.. get goggles.. and mittens are better than gloves.. and be prepared to crash into other people..

Originally Posted by kdawg

No way. That's for crazy white people.
That's the spirit buddy. 
eyes.gif

Gotta love people that limit themselves based on race

Never been, but planning to book a ticket this week to visit a friend in Denver mid-March.

Looking around, the closest spots seem to be Winter Park or Loveland. Anybody been to either?

Originally Posted by bruza

Originally Posted by kdawg

No way. That's for crazy white people.
That's the spirit buddy. 
eyes.gif

Gotta love people that limit themselves based on race

laugh.gif
I'm as white as you can be - but I ain't crazy.

first time I went I fell, landed on my thumb and kept on sliding down the slope. My thumb became so bruised it turned it's color from red, to purple, to greenish over the next few weeks. Kind of hilarious actually.

My cousin broke his back snowboarding and I have gotten pretty messed up snowboarding also, so I stay away and leave it to the pros 

Go for snowboarding.... It's a lot more fun.... I suggest u learn to stop on the bunny slope first.... It's kinda like sitting in a chair ...... Have fun...

Picked it up last year, now I have a season pass this year, riding the glades now. Can't believe I got into riding so late...if I could live on a mountain, I'd almost give up playing ball for it.

I had a hell of a time last week! Even though I landed on my neck once. I just got up like nothing 
laugh.gif
. It's all worth it guys! I definitely want to do it again.

Went for the first time 2 weeks ago at Mt High and loved it. I have been skateboarding since I was ten so I caught on pretty quick and surprisingly I wasn't sore the next day. Going again on Monday to Big Bear.
pimp.gif
I'm kind of mad at myself that I waited this long to go.
30t6p3b.gif
 Its so much fun

In PA/the northeast? Good luck right now.

If you're not going with friends who are good snowboarders, take a lesson. Otherwise you won't learn the correct basics and you'll spend the day on your #@@. Also, it's not really fair to others if you're falling off the lift, holding things up or snowboarding recklessly on trails you shouldn't be on.

If it's not snowing (or raining the way things have been), they're not making snow during the day or it's not REALLY sunny, don't bother with goggles, especially if you don't know how often or when you'll go again.

I skied when I was younger then switched to snowboarding. It's my favorite sport, main reason I love the winter even though I wish I lived out west for 4 months out of the year. It's tough to give pointers over the internet but good luck and enjoy. If you're up for learning and giving it at least a few tries, it's a great feeling. I've taught a few friends and they fell in love with it.

Back
Top Bottom